Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Looking to buy my first GPS $200 or less

Mike Hillis

I've been spending most of my time looking at the Garmins. Starting to like the way the eTrex Vista looks. Any feedback about this model would be helpful.

I would also apreciate any other mfg recomendations of units that compare to the Vista.

Thanks,

Mike

New Garmins that use Sirf chipset are good. The older ones suffer from weak reception under canopy. So, if you are looking at Vista, I suggest the Vista HCx - that's the one with good, Sirf GPS chipset.

n/t

n/t

The eTrex Vista seems like it would be easier to learn but the iFinder Explorer looks like it would work well for me with just a Freedom map card. For some reason I seem hooked on the altimeter feature on the Vista. I see where the Explorer can display altitude but the manual doesn't display a graph for it like the Vista.

Hmmm...I'm sliding toward the Lowrance non-the less. I like the card feature.

to be continued,

HH

They seem to be offering what I pictured in my mind when I first thought about a GPS. I can download both the topo and the satellite imagery onto the GPS which, from what I can tell from viewing the topos and sat pics, seem to be able to match the same reference maps I use. That and I like the overlay feature. Also seems the downloads are affordable and I can get just what I want.

Now to go find some reviews from real users. :thumbup:

Happy Tracking :detecting:

Mike

n/t

Sorry for the delayed reply - I was away.
Lowrance makes excellent receivers. In fact, till Garmin started to use Sirf chipset in their newest ones, there was no handheld that IMHO could match Lowrance's reception without using an add on external antenna.
Lowrance's maps are decent but, not updated too often. Still, they may appear to be all that you need but, be prepared to still use paper maps for best detail. Well, the same is true for Garmin. Freedom maps are convenient way to load the maps without the use of computer but, this convenience costs extra. Personally, I rather go for the CD version and loading the maps as I need them. BTW. Garmin maps can also be purchased pre-loaded but, only the more expensive Garmin units can use cards. Now, speaking of price; I suggest that you stretch the budget a bit and get a colour display unit. Colour makes HUGE difference when viewing topo maps. This difference is even more prominent when dealing with relatively small screens that handheld receivers offer.

I got real excited about the Magellen Explorist 500 LE until I started reviewing the topo map. Seems the dirt roads are left off.
I may still decide on that one, for as you stated, I would still want to use paper maps for more detail and that one is closer to my budget. I don't want to sell a detector to buy a GPS, although the thought has crossed my mind....I could sell the Explorer and get a real decent GPS.

The iFinder Expedion C is a bit more but affordable, although the topo map price is higher.

Hmmmm...

No matter which brand maps, some dirt roads are always missing and some features on all maps are out of date. ALWAYS! Trust me on that one - I sell maps and I will never get rich doing it because I tell people like it is. Heck, for that reason I never get rich selling anything! :angry:

I decided to double my budget :wacko:

I ran across the Earthmate PN-20 while looking around. I like the map options. Like the Bushnell Onix but better. Delorme actually gives you data about the GPS while with the Onix you have to ferret it out.

I'm kind of getting set on having a PN20.

HH

Mike

Finally narrowed it down to these two. Went to REI yesterday to actually do some hands on touchy feelly stuff and see the screens and listen to the salesperson.

Both have features that attract me.

I like the map features and the intial price of the DeLorme but it looks like it could become a money pit.

I like the features of the Garmin but am unsure about the map detail and the high intial costs. The manual isn't available online yet. I may see if I can call and order it.

Uses would include:

I am often driving off the standard map looking for old homesites, ghost towns, mines, and what nots. I need to be able to find my way back to a major road without having to guess where the road I'm on is taking me. I also want to be able to tell where that dirt road I just passed on the right goes without having to actually go down it.

I want to be able to take the coordinates from a site on my research maps and plug them into my GPS and be able to navigate to it.

I want to be able to use the GPS to mark and trend my city detecting finds.

I want to be able to find my way around towns and cities I've never been in before. Even at night! I think the automatic routing would be a useful feature.

When I'm out driving around and come across a likely spot to metal detect I want to be able to mark that spot on my GPS well enough that I can then locate the owners to ask permission to detect it. Maybe even look it up on a satelitte map.

When I'm out hiking in the mountains I want to be able to find my car again. Also want to be able to find that old mountain cabin again that I thought was just over that 4th ridge over that aways.

I also like being able to auto route to a destination

As much as I'd like to order one tomorrow, I'll force myself to wait until I can get a copy of the Vista HCx manual.

HH

AFAIK, the only real difference between the Vista Cx and HCx is the chipset used in the GPS receiver - HCx is much, MUCH more sensitive = better reception and accuracy. In effect, the manual for the Cx, should be the same as for the HCx.

The DeLorme model looks like it would be great for a dedicated off-road or hiking unit but I'm wanting a more general purpose do it all type unit.

So I'm trading map detail for more general usability. If I decide I want a second more specialized unit, then I'll not hesitate to get the DeLorme.

One last thing to do which is to see if there were a lot of bugs with the Vista HCx release, which means finding owners and asking questions. Hopefully I'll get it ordered next week.

HH

Mike

Hi Mike,
Before you make your purchase I would suggest you look at the Garmin GPS map76 cx or csx,these units have the faster more sensitive processor and allow the use of external antenna. It will also do all the things you mentioned in your previous post.
Good luck,
Rick

I'm already spending more than I originally intended to just by going to a color screen. The Vista HCx is using a faster processor and the new sensitive chip and is getting good reviews. Seems only one minor/major bug has been found that I'm not too worried about and can wait on the fix.

Appreciate the thought.

Mike