Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Looking to touch-base with V3 users in the UK / Europe

ramases

Hi All

Been all over the web looking for V3 info and have found some useful stuff. However, most of it is posted by our cousins across the pond and, while interesting, we all know that things are different here in the UK & Europe. What I'd like to do is make contact with users who are trying to get to grip with the V3 over here. I got mine a few days ago and have ploughed through the manual a few times and think I might be beginning to understand it and maybe even getting somewhere, but it'd be good to swap experiences, ideas and programming thoughts with the rest of you. So, come on, let's start sharing.

Cheers.

Ramases.

Hello Ramases, Geoff from devon here ( Roman Virgin). Welcome to the ever expanding V3 Club in the UK. I've had mina about a month now and I'm still learning. I like it and I can see the potential. I think it could be a winner. There are all the instructional videos on "U" tube, you may have seen them. If not you should. But they are just a repeat of the instructional video which you no doubt got with the V3.
Where do I start. It's a complicated technical beast. There is a steep learning curve. I gather it helps if you have previous experience of the previous Whites models as there are. some familiarities. I find that there are so many things that you can set up it becomes a nightmare. I started with coin and jewlry factory preset. Ok but depends so much on your ground type and ammount of trash. Iv'e actualy set up a programme I call " Roman" and entered it in my "Library" so that I can recall it at any time. Problem...American coins are soooo different in their metal content to ours that you should disregard all of their symbols and set up a test bed with a selection of the type of coins that you are familiar with or are looking for. With me it's Roman. Any Roman. I havn't found any yet. Even long before the V3. Devon is not the best place for Roman coins. There are some but few and far between. Any way. I have been given some Roman coins and Ive got some hammered so I set up a test bed and tried it all out. First time ....a disaster... couldn't even get a hammered at 4 inches. Then I started to play around with the various settings, being careful to only make one alteration at a time and make notes.....It got better.....a lot better.... its still improving.....I'm getting there but it's difficult to feel confident and trust the machine. You have to learn new skills in reading the various screens that it has for detection ...discrimination...frequency.... and analysing. They are important.
I havn't got the time at the momant but I can send you my settings for " Roman" and all the various settings that I make on the V3.
It's a quality Machine.. It's more like a scientific instrument. I find that everybody wants to compare it with the "E" track. I don't know enough about the E track but I believe that once you get the hang of the V3 it will come out at the top. What makes it a winner for me at the moment is that it gives you a lot of info about whats under your head and presents that info in a clear format. It's a case of learning to interpret what it's saying. Stay in touch with me and I will give any info that I have. Be patient... she will be worth the wait and time spent on her....
Good luck

Geoff ( Roman Virgin )

Hi Geoff
Thanks for the info. I've watching the V3 since it was launched in the US and been following the posts on various forums ... like all top-of-the-line detectors the reports are a bit variable and I planned to hang on to my DFX for a while longer before making the jump to the V3, but a good month at work and a mate who reported being on site with a bloke who had one who was finding stuff the DFX wasn't, and that was me sold! I have been through the manual a few times and have begun to get a handle on how to set it up. I started with the Relic programme as my sites are farmland and I dig everything except iron. I then took a few of the Hi Pro settings an built those in. Testing in my garden produced better results than the pre-sets (I was a bit disappointed with the two or three I tried as well). Although I didn't set up a test bed as such but set up sens and disc as I would on the field and had a look at the VDIs / graphs etc. The results are in the attached file. I'd be very interested to see your Roman Programme - I get the occasional bronze Roman coin and brooch so it would be good to give it a test. I'll upload my programme (I call it INLAND) when I've finished tweaking it ... trouble is all my fields are under crop right now so it'll be a couple of weeks before I'll be able to do that - in Suffolk we tend to harvest just a bit earlier than some parts of the country. I agree with you ... the V3 will be a top machine in the hands of a skilled and experienced user ... the DFX was widely misunderstood because people didn't take the time to learn how to use it, but in the right hands with the right setup it was a great bit of kit (especially with the right coil.....). Please keep us all up to date on how you're doing - I'm keen to grow a network of V3 users so we can share what we learn rather than us all having to invent the wheel!!
Cheers.
Colin.

Hi Ramases, Geoff from Devon, Thanks for the info. Looks like you are more organised then me. Good list of settings. I havn't made a list yet but I will shortly. Not been able to get out lately. Will be doing my first club dig with it in a couple weeks on a possible Roman sight. Other club members are E track users so all eyes will be on the " New boy". It will interesting to do a side by side comparison. I will have my trusty F75 as a fall back should all go pear shaped. Watch this space. I will be in touch. You Suffolk boys are so lucky with your good Roman sites. I stand as much chance of finding Roman in Devon as finding a Pork chop in a synagogue. Thanks again for the charts. Between all of us we should crack the code on the V3. Speak to you later Ramy.
Geoff ( Roman Virgin )

Hi Geoff
Good luck on your outing - "knock 'em dead!!" - be very interested to hear how you do. I've had a few UK V3'ers get in touch and I'm sure it won't be long before we start sharing what we know - especially UK-friendly programmes. My Pal emailed Jimmy S the other day and he has made a few useful suggestions inc using 22.5KHz mode and TX boost for the small hammered and Roman stuff - I might ask him to take a look at my (draft) setup to see what he thinks. He's in the UK next month so it'll be interesting to hear his ideas on UK setups once he gets back to the US.
Cheers.
Colin.

Good idea re: sharing info, like the attachment, would be handy too be able too add too that and keep it updated, had my V3 about a month, haven't had the time too study it much yet, think i'd be mostly using "Relic" and "silver" progs with slight amendments.... on that note..... "deep silver" factory mode... mine sings like 83 drunken rivet bashers, noises all over the place, screen flashing numbers left right and center..sounds like a knackered space invaders machine... that normal..???

Keep in touch..

scouse.

scouse12345 said:
Good idea re: sharing info, like the attachment, would be handy too be able too add too that and keep it updated, had my V3 about a month, haven't had the time too study it much yet, think i'd be mostly using "Relic" and "silver" progs with slight amendments.... on that note..... "deep silver" factory mode... mine sings like 83 drunken rivet bashers, noises all over the place, screen flashing numbers left right and center..sounds like a knackered space invaders machine... that normal..???

Keep in touch..

scouse.

Hi scouse

Glad you found it useful ... I will be adding other readings at some point, but bear in mind this is only in-air so in ground will be different. Just had a quick look at the deep silver mode ... looks like it is set pretty "hot" so that might explain the beeping and bonging .... plus it's Mixed Mode (I just can't get along with that!). Had an email from Jimmy Sierra today with some of his thoughts on a UK setup. Will post more info on it once I have had a chance to digest it (and maybe even try it out) but he suggests 22.5KHz for inland searching not 3 frequency, at least for a start ..... I have only been on a meadow and the beach with mine (everything else is under crop) but early impressions are that the V3 is DEEP, but it will take me a while to be able to interpret what the screen and audio are telling me. Please post your experiences as soon as you get some so we can begin to learn from each other ...

Ramases.

just setting up bed with 8 different gold coins, and some jewelry, shall mail you the consistent hits.... used relic a fair bit, in Victorian parks, you can winkle out most the

scouse12345 said:
Ramases.

just setting up bed with 8 different gold coins, and some jewelry, shall mail you the consistent hits.... used relic a fair bit, in Victorian parks, you can winkle out most the

hi im in north east scotland , ive had the v3 for about 3 weeks so far and only had a few outings once twice in the fields and twice on the beach so far shes found about

Hi all

Been out a few times with my V3 here in Ireland. The big problem I have is trying to figure out the Euro in VDI terms. Not easy. My detector of course wants to reject those. I'm finding it difficult to understand the machine. I'll just keep at it and come up with a "Euro" program. I'm a first time user but my best friend is a White's tester so I'm sure he will chime in. Any others have this problem?

DH

DH,

Not sure why yur machine would want too "reject" Euro coins, what VDI numbers are they coming in at..?> and what program/area's are you mostly wanting too detect?

Steve.

Hi all you V3 users. Haven't been able to use mine for awhile been away. Done some experimenting but not impressed with results. In fact almost put it up for sale. Finally decided that it was me not the machine, need more time and more info. Finally arranged a side by side comparison with a very experienced E track user on a Roman site this weekend. Should help a lot. I like the idea of using single freq of 22.5 on boost for small deep silver but because of the different metals used on the various roman coins don't know which single freq would be best on bronze. Any ideas ?......... I'll publish my side by side results when I get them. Would hate to have to eat humble pie and swop the V3 for an E track. Watch this space.
Geoff ( Roman Virgin in Devon)

In Best Data, wave a Bronze target over the coil and see which frequency hits the hardest. That would be your dominate frequency.

Hi all

Been doing mostly beach hunting here in Europe. So on the salt program and the coin program here are my VDI numbers:

Euro 52-72
50 cents 60-68
20 cents 55
5 cents 52-72
2 cents doesn't pick up
Gold ring 15-21 ( if I'm lucky)
Hammered silver zilch

So yes I have the same problem of hammered silver not coming up. This is a big deal to me since that is what we are going for! I'll look at the above posts and reset my settings and see what happens.

Do you see any bars on the spectragraph when sweeping over hammered silver? If so, you should be able to set your discrimination settings to accept the range that it comes in at.

There is an option called visual reject which is defaulted on. If you disable this option, then you will see VDI information for not only accepted targets, but also rejected targets. (It's in the discrimination menu). Might be useful for learning what the different targets come in at if they happen to fall in the rejected areas...

ak_1234 said:
Do you see any bars on the spectragraph when sweeping over hammered silver? If so, you should be able to set your discrimination settings to accept the range that it comes in at.

There is an option called visual reject which is defaulted on. If you disable this option, then you will see VDI information for not only accepted targets, but also rejected targets. (It's in the discrimination menu). Might be useful for learning what the different targets come in at if they happen to fall in the rejected areas...

Thank you AK will try this out!