Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Love my Legend

captnkirk

I got out for about an hour yesterday afternoon and hunted around a Pond that had a old "homestead" near by that the dozer operator incorporated within the structure of the body of said Pond. The area where the structure once stood is now a group of scrub trees (Osage Orange and the like) that makes getting around kinda difficult. My last and most memorable dig was a faint signal and the depth indicator didn't show any bars, none. That in my experience indicates a very small object or a very deep object; this was both. So with my Predator Shovel I sunk it to the hilt and lifted out a big plug. Not in the plug, still in the hole. I sent the blade into the hole and got another 4" out; eureka, it was contained within the Plug. Finally got the object out and it appeared to be a button with the shank intact on the back.
Got home and with running water I was able to see a Eagle with a shield on it's chest, wings stretched out and the Talons contained Arrows on one side and Olive branch on the other. Approx. 1/2" in diameter and still had some of the gold guild intact. I know NOTHING about Military buttons but I was able to find an example of the button with a web search. What was intriguing about the description of the button and it's location within the Smithsonian Museum is that it is listed in the African American grouping of buttons. And if this is correct (and my assumption is correct) this is a Civil War era Black Soldier coat button; possibly even a Buffalo Soldier coat button. This button was manufactured between 1861~1865.
It's amazing what a little button can reveal about history. Right after the Civil War, "Freed Men" were granted a certain amount of acreage and livestock and a known settlement was established in my community.
Here's a pic of the find and a pic of the button in the Smithsonian.

Attachments

• Military button.jpg
    Military button.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Civil War Button.jpg
    Civil War Button.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 62
Very nice button. Hopefully someone knowledgeable will comment on it. I have never heard of special General Service buttons for Black troops.
How are you setting up & running your Legend?

Stamped brass uniform button with American eagle​

CREATED BY:Scovill Manufacturing Company, American MEDIUM:brass (alloy)DIMENSIONS:9/16 x 9/16 x 3/8 x 9/16 in. (1.4 x 1.4 x 1 cm)TYPE:buttons (fasteners)DATE:1861-1865TOPIC:African American Clothing and dress Military Slavery U.S. History, Civil War, 1861-1865 CREDIT LINE:Collection of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and CultureOBJECT NUMBER:2011.4.5RESTRICTIONS & RIGHTS:No Known Copyright RestrictionsSEE MORE ITEMS IN:National Museum of African American History and Culture CollectionCLASSIFICATION:Slavery and Freedom ObjectsClothing-HistoricalDATA SOURCE:National Museum of African American History and CultureGUID:http://n2t.net/ark:/65665/fd568bbb155-a9da-4c3f-a9cd-0ea81a1cda44EDAN-URL:edanmdm:nmaahc_2011.4.5

ONLINE MEDIA:​

• View Stamped brass uniform button with American eagle digital asset number 0
    Creative Commons icon
    Creative Commons Zero (CC0) icon
  • View Stamped brass uniform button with American eagle digital asset number 1

This is the info about the button I was able to find.

Hopefully someone knowledgeable will comment if it is different than a regular issue General Service button.

It is the standard General Service button. The sack coat worn by Union enlisted men sported four of these buttons. This is the most frequently encountered military button on Civil War period sites. Nice find.