Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Loving the Nox 800 and a few questions

I am new here and I have been detecting since I was about 9. I am 21 now and I have used a Tesoro DeLeon up until now. I decided to upgrade to the Nox 800. I got it yesterday and I have about 6 hours with it already. I went over my neighbors yard my dad and I have hit to death and I managed to find 12 coins in total including a 1919 wheat that we missed. I have been reading a lot about the best settings to use and well I have a question. I am running in park 1 right now with 5 tone areas. I run my sensitivity around 12-15. I have not used the multi frequency yet as I have been running it on 10. My question is while I was detecting the yard the coins came in very quiet. Almost couldn't hear them and they were only up to 5 inches deep. There are a lot of setting options on this machine I feel like I will never use as the dirt here in Illinois is nice and black and almost no mineralization. That being said is there something that I could be missing? I read that when you change to a single frequency the iron bias goes to 0. That being said when I went out to my local lake rusty bottle caps were coming in at a 22-23 which is right around a penny for me. While I was on the 10 for frequency. I am just overwhelmed with the immense amount of advanced settings options that I feel may not be used in my area. The places I am going are pounded to death and yet today I almost pulled $2.00 in clad out of them which is crazy the amount of times my dad and myself have hit them including others over the years. I feel my settings work decently but I am just worried I am over looking something and I will be missing deep coins. Thanks and I am glad to be on this forum.

I just got a 600 but still trying to work on settings. I think the presets are the way to go until you learn more about it. but that said your sensitivity should be as high as you can get without becoming unstable. also found in iron separation the lower the setting the deeper I get . use as needed. just a beginner perspective but test as many targets as possible in test garden or back yard and bury a couple of targets at different depths and then play with all the settings and make the detector locate it. you will then know what works for your kinda dirt and what don't. just saying. enjoy your hunts and stay healthy and safe. Happy Hunting. ps Welcome lot of knowledge here just ask they will answer.

Sensitivity of 12-15 is a bit low, I run mine 22-23 and no lower than 18 and targets 8 to 10 inches down come in loud and clear.

Yes I have been reading up on it and yes that is a bit low. I set it up to 16 now. Any higher than that and it starts chirping. I'm sure that is just because we are in different areas. Thanks for the comment!

I just got a 600 but still trying to work on settings. I think the presets are the way to go until you learn more about it. but that said your sensitivity should be as high as you can get without becoming unstable. also found in iron separation the lower the setting the deeper I get . use as needed. just a beginner perspective but test as many targets as possible in test garden or back yard and bury a couple of targets at different depths and then play with all the settings and make the detector locate it. you will then know what works for your kinda dirt and what don't. just saying. enjoy your hunts and stay healthy and safe. Happy Hunting. ps Welcome lot of knowledge here just ask they will answer.

I agree I think I am messing with too much way too early. Thanks for your comment and happy hunting and stay safe out there.

I miss hunting in that sweet midwest dirt .... ah, the good old days.

Minelabs have a great history of finding the goods where you are in Illinois, but their greatest strength is in their multi-freq processing.
In my humble opinion, you're hobbling your machine by hunting that kind of soil in single freq.

Park 1 or Park 2 both work well in clean soil.
Using the presets to start is good advice, but give multi-freq a chance to 'flex it's muscles'.

I suggest planting some coins deep in the ground and doing your own testing, and see for yourself.
There's no magic settings that will work everywhere for everyone .... that's why they're adjustable.

But I'd really put some time into testing/hunting in multi-freq, were I in your shoes.

Good Luck, and HH,
:)
mike

Edit:
And, yes, setting sensitivity is important to do at each site. It's not a 'set it and leave it' adjustment.
(It's mostly dependent upon EMI.)

I miss hunting in that sweet midwest dirt .... ah, the good old days.

Minelabs have a great history of finding the goods where you are in Illinois, but their greatest strength is in their multi-freq processing.
In my humble opinion, you're hobbling your machine by hunting that kind of soil in single freq.

Park 1 or Park 2 both work well in clean soil.
Using the presets to start is good advice, but give multi-freq a chance to 'flex it's muscles'.

I suggest planting some coins deep in the ground and doing your own testing, and see for yourself.
There's no magic settings that will work everywhere for everyone .... that's why they're adjustable.

But I'd really put some time into testing/hunting in multi-freq, were I in your shoes.

Good Luck, and HH,
:)
mike

Edit:
And, yes, setting sensitivity is important to do at each site. It's not a 'set it and leave it' adjustment.
(It's mostly dependent upon EMI.)

Yes the soil here is so nice to dig in. Especially after a decent rain. I will set it up tomorrow on multi frequency and go over the yard again. I appreciate you helping a Minelab noobie here! Really hoping to find my first silver with it here in the first week or so! Thanks for your help and tips!

Welcome to the Equinox I would turn up sensitivity I hunt 21-25 and I’ve settled on field 2 for most of my hunting in the soil here in Ct 5 tones is all I use also it’s one of the best detectors I’ve owned it finds a lot of silver and gold also.
Good luck and there’s a lot i OK f great people on here to for help..
Mark

Welcome to the Equinox I would turn up sensitivity I hunt 21-25 and I’ve settled on field 2 for most of my hunting in the soil here in Ct 5 tones is all I use also it’s one of the best detectors I’ve owned it finds a lot of silver and gold also.
Good luck and there’s a lot i OK f great people on here to for help..
Mark

Tried turning it up past 18 today and it starts to really chirp and chatter so I have settled right at 16 for the sensitivity. Got it on park 1 with 5 tones. Running it on multi frequency. I noticed I get a lot more little chirps and blurps when on multi compared to a single frequency as well.

Tried turning it up past 18 today and it starts to really chirp and chatter so I have settled right at 16 for the sensitivity. Got it on park 1 with 5 tones. Running it on multi frequency. I noticed I get a lot more little chirps and blurps when on multi compared to a single frequency as well.
Sounds like you are experiencing EMI from your home and neighborhood WiFI systems. When you start out in say Park 1 default with multi frequency engaged with the sensitivity on default 20 and you hear lots of chatter with the coil in the air, you are hearing EMI. Do an auto noise cancel with the coil in the air and like you did already, turn down the sensitivity a bit until the chatter stops. Like you found out it is hard to hear good targets with the constant EMI chatter and turning down the sensitivity to 12 will work for shallow to 6" targets but really deep targets are not going to be detected at that sensitivity level. In my backyard I can rarely run my Equinox above 15 or 16 sensitivity because of multiple frequencies of WiFi and from my neighbors 40 foot HAM radio tower! When I go to parks or other open areas I can run my Nox at 20 or sometimes more very quietly and it will hit 12" coin sized targets very well and with good target ID most of the time.

Jeff

Sounds like you are experiencing EMI from your home and neighborhood WiFI systems. When you start out in say Park 1 default with multi frequency engaged with the sensitivity on default 20 and you hear lots of chatter with the coil in the air, you are hearing EMI. Do an auto noise cancel with the coil in the air and like you did already, turn down the sensitivity a bit until the chatter stops. Like you found out it is hard to hear good targets with the constant EMI chatter and turning down the sensitivity to 12 will work for shallow to 6" targets but really deep targets are not going to be detected at that sensitivity level. In my backyard I can rarely run my Equinox above 15 or 16 sensitivity because of multiple frequencies of WiFi and from my neighbors 40 foot HAM radio tower! When I go to parks or other open areas I can run my Nox at 20 or sometimes more very quietly and it will hit 12" coin sized targets very well and with good target ID most of the time.

Jeff

Today I spent another 5 hours out with it and it really spoke to me today. Bumped my sensitivity up to 18 and noise cancelled and ground balanced with the multi frequency and the coins really popped out today. Nothing old but still finding stuff. Thanks for all the help and pointers. I really appreciate it.

Today I spent another 5 hours out with it and it really spoke to me today. Bumped my sensitivity up to 18 and noise cancelled and ground balanced with the multi frequency and the coins really popped out today. Nothing old but still finding stuff. Thanks for all the help and pointers. I really appreciate it.
Nice you’ll start getting the hang of the nox I use only one machine it’s the Nox 800 .
Mark

I am new here and I have been detecting since I was about 9. I am 21 now and I have used a Tesoro DeLeon up until now. I decided to upgrade to the Nox 800. I got it yesterday and I have about 6 hours with it already. I went over my neighbors yard my dad and I have hit to death and I managed to find 12 coins in total including a 1919 wheat that we missed. I have been reading a lot about the best settings to use and well I have a question. I am running in park 1 right now with 5 tone areas. I run my sensitivity around 12-15. I have not used the multi frequency yet as I have been running it on 10. My question is while I was detecting the yard the coins came in very quiet. Almost couldn't hear them and they were only up to 5 inches deep. There are a lot of setting options on this machine I feel like I will never use as the dirt here in Illinois is nice and black and almost no mineralization. That being said is there something that I could be missing? I read that when you change to a single frequency the iron bias goes to 0. That being said when I went out to my local lake rusty bottle caps were coming in at a 22-23 which is right around a penny for me. While I was on the 10 for frequency. I am just overwhelmed with the immense amount of advanced settings options that I feel may not be used in my area. The places I am going are pounded to death and yet today I almost pulled $2.00 in clad out of them which is crazy the amount of times my dad and myself have hit them including others over the years. I feel my settings work decently but I am just worried I am over looking something and I will be missing deep coins. Thanks and I am glad to be on this forum.

To start, the detector, and the wireless phones BOTH have volume controls. make sure BOTH are turned up all the way. Not sure why you are hunting in one frequency??? You are defeating the main purpose of the Nox. watch THESE videos for setups:

- FOR COIN SHOOTING

- FOR BEACH HUNTING

Hope this helps,

To start, the detector, and the wireless phones BOTH have volume controls. make sure BOTH are turned up all the way. Not sure why you are hunting in one frequency??? You are defeating the main purpose of the Nox. watch THESE videos for setups:

- FOR COIN SHOOTING

- FOR BEACH HUNTING

Hope this helps,

Thank you for the videos. The coin one is what I have it set up under now. I have moved it into the multi frequency. Thank you for the comment as well.

So you are a new comer to the sport. I bought my first detector when I was 18 and I am now 71.:):):):)

'Welcome' to the Find's Treasure Forums. A lot of good folks here, with many who can be helpful with your learning curve.

With a dozen years of detecting in but you've only had the Tesoro De Leon? At least you have some field time and detecting skills, but learning and using the Equinox 800 or any of the more modern detectors is a definite move up-the-line. By the way, anyone could go into that same yard you've hunted a lot with your Dad and still pull out coins. No place is every totally worked-on and good targets can get missed. However, those who find missed coins can do a better job of it with an improved detector, a different size and type search coil, and using more efficient settings.

There's no doubt the EMI issues you are having are mainly related to some source of electrical interference near you house or close to the immediate are you are hunting. Remember, too, that if a search coil is held in the air, or if it is motionless near the ground, you will more likely get some EMI. If a search coil is at a proper ground-to-coil relationship and the coil is in search motion, the ground signal processing can often reduce or eliminate some EMI, I wouldn't reduce the Sensitivity Level too much. Matter of fact, I seldom reduce the Sensitivity on any of my detectors unless the EMI is simply overwhelming, and then I reduce it just to the point where I just barely regain stable operation. I have 5 models that have different modes 'saved' to start-up at '95' or '99. My Minelab Vanquish 540's are 'saved' at the highest Sensitivity of '10' and my Equinox 800 Park and Field modes are 'saved' at '25.' At 99% of the places I hunt, there is negligible EMI, if any, when I am actively searching.

I suggest you select one specific mode in Park or Field programs and use that as your 'learning mode'; while you work with each of the adjustment settings to learn the, understand them, then settle on the settings that will work for you in the places you hunt. Then, start on the next mode. If you are trying different functions and different settings in each of the different programs while trying to learn the detector, it is likely to cause some confusion and frustrations. Don't hesitate to use them ... one at a time ... in order to learn them, just do in all within one mode until you are quite comfortable with their good and bad performance characteristics.

Monte

'Welcome' to the Find's Treasure Forums. A lot of good folks here, with many who can be helpful with your learning curve.

With a dozen years of detecting in but you've only had the Tesoro De Leon? At least you have some field time and detecting skills, but learning and using the Equinox 800 or any of the more modern detectors is a definite move up-the-line. By the way, anyone could go into that same yard you've hunted a lot with your Dad and still pull out coins. No place is every totally worked-on and good targets can get missed. However, those who find missed coins can do a better job of it with an improved detector, a different size and type search coil, and using more efficient settings.

There's no doubt the EMI issues you are having are mainly related to some source of electrical interference near you house or close to the immediate are you are hunting. Remember, too, that if a search coil is held in the air, or if it is motionless near the ground, you will more likely get some EMI. If a search coil is at a proper ground-to-coil relationship and the coil is in search motion, the ground signal processing can often reduce or eliminate some EMI, I wouldn't reduce the Sensitivity Level too much. Matter of fact, I seldom reduce the Sensitivity on any of my detectors unless the EMI is simply overwhelming, and then I reduce it just to the point where I just barely regain stable operation. I have 5 models that have different modes 'saved' to start-up at '95' or '99. My Minelab Vanquish 540's are 'saved' at the highest Sensitivity of '10' and my Equinox 800 Park and Field modes are 'saved' at '25.' At 99% of the places I hunt, there is negligible EMI, if any, when I am actively searching.

I suggest you select one specific mode in Park or Field programs and use that as your 'learning mode'; while you work with each of the adjustment settings to learn the, understand them, then settle on the settings that will work for you in the places you hunt. Then, start on the next mode. If you are trying different functions and different settings in each of the different programs while trying to learn the detector, it is likely to cause some confusion and frustrations. Don't hesitate to use them ... one at a time ... in order to learn them, just do in all within one mode until you are quite comfortable with their good and bad performance characteristics.

Monte

Yep my dad and I have found some pretty amazing stuff with our Tesoros over the years. I just felt like updating and my research showed that the Equinox is one of the best out there right now. I have been able to work out most kinks that I have had already and I have a pretty nice set up that works for me in park 1 right now. I was able to set my sensitivity to about 22 after I got rid of the EMI that had been bugging me. Been watching a lot of videos on youtube and such of people setting it up and of course the wonderful help that I have gotten on here as well. Still trying to find out if the iron bias or iron bias 2 works best for around here as some of the yards I do have a ton of iron in them and then some hardly has any in it. Thanks again for your comment and your help!

Hope this helps,
'Thank You' for posting helpful videos. They can benefit us all.

I'm hearing impaired. Been told by the military I was deaf since '82, and ruptured my right eardrum in 2010 and have permanent scaring on the ear canal and eardrum. I do run my Volume at maximum on all of my detectors that offer that function, but my ML-80's I leave at the default Volume level for both my 540 Pro Pack models and EQ-800. I can turn the headphone up louder if I am too close to high traffic or a passing train, but otherwise they would get too loud.

Yes, at times Multi-IQ can provide some helpful benefits, some-of-the-time, but not all-of-the-time. I have some Park and Field modes I am setting up that demonstrated less chirping and better behavior in Irn Nail contaminated sites using '15' kHz single-frequency. I'm not defeating the 'purpose' of Multi-IQ, but instead making use of the improved benefits of using a Single-Frequency which they obviously offered Avid Detectorists for applications where it provides an 'edge' or more useful 'purpose.'

In my case I have several other detectors chosen for their specific performance advantages or certain tough challenges. I also have two Minelab Vanquish 54e0 Pro Pack models that I keep each of their to coils mounted full-time for different site conditions and uses. The V-540's are Multi-IQ ONLY and they work quite well, most of the time. I'm busy working on some adjustments with my EQ-800 to first try and duplicate the 540's 5-Tone audio and built-in settings performance, then I'll have a starting point to try and enhance the field performance of the Equinox 800. Part of that is selecting a single frequency for some of the better behavior it can achieve. That especially relates to the extremely ferrous debris-challenged sites I hunt most of the time. So far the EQ-800 w/6" DD coil is showing a little advantage over the Vanquish 540 w/5X8 DD, but time will tell after a week of hunting four or five really challenging locations.

Monte