Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Low And Slow.

Neilo

I have been an Explorer owner for about eight years and have lashed out and bought the E trac. My level of finds have gone backwards, but I am convinced it is only teething problems and in time I will make up for lost ground. I was out yesterday detecting a park with a freind who was using his Explorer 2 with a joey coil. I had only found $4 he had $30. I was using the standard coil. The ground in this park is mineralised and has a lot of rubbish targets. I started playing with sensitivity settings. I put some coins on the ground and scanned over them at my normal scanning speed running the machine in auto mode. It picked them up but not that well,I could see I was missing targets. then auto -3 no difference. Turned machine to manual went down to 10 it was the same, lowered down to 6 the machined picked them up clearly and it did it no matter how fast I scanned over the targets. Lowered it again to 4 it started to falter. I am only looking for recently lost items and they will all be shallow targets, so it is obvious to me that Auto isnt the best in that situation. I also changed my coil to a small eight inch, the standard coil was obviously too big. Then my finds did improve but I also had to go very slowly concentrating and overlapping my swings So when they say Low And Slow it might mean Low sensitivity and Slow detecting. I did finish the day with a reasonable total which wasnt too bad in the end, but my mate using the Explorer and Joey certainly won the day .seeya Neilo

Neil....Reading your post suggests to me that you are trying to compete, instead of taking your time to learn your new machine.

YOU CAN'T COMPETE WITH YOUR PRESENT COILS if your mate has a smaller search-head on his Explorer.

Auto sense at say 16 should virtually dig the coins for you if the losses are no deeper than 6 inches.

If you are coin shooting for recent losses, in a trashy environment, then the small coil will kick your R's for most of the time.

In your haste to groan, you failed to give an accurate account of your discrimination pattern, and audio mode etc..

So dear impetuous friend....slow down, take a deep breath, and start over again.

Ready?.........Go...........Luv from TheMarshall

p.s. Take a wheel-barrow with you next time.....You'll need it once you've mastered your E-Trac....believe me.

Neilo said:
I have been an Explorer owner for about eight years and have lashed out and bought the E trac. My level of finds have gone backwards, but I am convinced it is only teething problems and in time I will make up for lost ground. I was out yesterday detecting a park with a freind who was using his Explorer 2 with a joey coil. I had only found $4 he had $30. I was using the standard coil. The ground in this park is mineralised and has a lot of rubbish targets. I started playing with sensitivity settings. I put some coins on the ground and scanned over them at my normal scanning speed running the machine in auto mode. It picked them up but not that well,I could see I was missing targets. then auto -3 no difference. Turned machine to manual went down to 10 it was the same, lowered down to 6 the machined picked them up clearly and it did it no matter how fast I scanned over the targets. Lowered it again to 4 it started to falter. I am only looking for recently lost items and they will all be shallow targets, so it is obvious to me that Auto isnt the best in that situation. I also changed my coil to a small eight inch, the standard coil was obviously too big. Then my finds did improve but I also had to go very slowly concentrating and overlapping my swings So when they say Low And Slow it might mean Low sensitivity and Slow detecting. I did finish the day with a reasonable total which wasnt too bad in the end, but my mate using the Explorer and Joey certainly won the day .seeya Neilo
----------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------- -------------
Hello Neilo,
Even tho You are trying to use the E-Trac to a much lesser potential than most of us use it for,and possibly a less expensive machine would most likely fill the bill for shallower coins.I have searched for recently lost jewelry items with good success doing what you are doing....................................
.................................Manual sensitivity set at low at say 10 or 12,should find most items still to a depth of 3-5",and seeing that you are looking for coins recently lost.
If you are only looking for coins at maybe 1"-2"...........A Manual sens of 6-8 might be all you need........................If you are using ANY discrimination above 18 fe...........be care-full tho............Foil and pull tabs ect........if discriminated out can mask a nice coin.................................................
Not long after I got my E-Trac........I was hunting in a very trashy area with a few friends.....We had previously found some shallow old silver,and copper coins as well.....Nothing below about 5"..................I turned my sens down to manual 12,when it wanted to run at auto 18-20.......It seemed to quite the E-Trac down quite a bit,and I was still seeing targets at 4-5".........I found a silver (Reading) target at 2-3" shallow depth ,about 12" away from a piece of foil...
................................I decided to perform an experiment.........I marked the center of my (Silver Reading) target,with a golf tee....................I then swept over the foil,,,,,,,,and disc ed it out with only 3 blocks........I put the foil on top of the [Golf tee],and rescanned my silver.........It could not pick up the good target,no matter what angle of aproach..........Hmmmmmmmm..........I then accepted every thing above 18 fe (top Blank,bottom black),,,,,and it did pick up allot more junk,,,,,,,,foil,tabs,and can slaw,and made a little more noise than before I had lowered my sens,...........But I got 2 silvers that day (for a total of 3),and my freinds got none..................

I forgot to add that hunting in an (Insanely Trashy) site..........You may want to switch to an 8" coil...........That is if there have been ALLOT of newer coins found amongst the trash...........Otherwise..........the Pro coil should do very nicely,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(AND NOT SLOW YOU DOWN)
hAPPY hUNTING

Sensitivity manual 6 threshold 19 vol limit18 gain 15, long response, multitones ,conduct, variability 30 limits 29,recovery deep off, recovery fast on.high trash density ground difficult. pinpoint sizing. the pattern is made up of all aussie coins using large cursor for each coin namely 12 -7, 12-14,12-23,12-35 12-40 and silver 10-48 the large cursor should allow for variability due to mineralisation.seeya Neilo

Remember the ground is very mineralised I have seen people trying to use Minelab sovereigns there and give up because it is too noisy. I have found nearly three hundred coins with the machine in only a couple of weeks so I cant be doing that badly. seeya Neilo

First post:-
I have been an Explorer owner for about eight years and have lashed out and bought the E trac. My level of finds have gone backwards

Last post:-
Remember the ground is very mineralised I have seen people trying to use Minelab sovereigns there and give up because it is too noisy. I have found nearly three hundred coins with the machine in only a couple of weeks so I cant be doing that badly........ seeya Neilo

Neilo, I would include 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 in the group for $1 and $2 coins that are on or close to the top of the ground. Bob

Marshall, You quote my sentence about my finds going backwards since having the Etrac, but you failed to put in the rest of the sentence.Quote I am convinced its only teething problems and in time I will make up for lost ground. Every body who gets a new detector takes time to become accustomed to them and usually finds do go backwards for a while.

As for the rest of the post I was pointing out in mineralised ground that auto is not necessarily the best way to go.Also in manual how low I had to go to get a good clear consistent strong signal also how you could go slightly too low.

I also said about changing to an eight inch coil and finds improving. I did finish up with over 60 coins but my mate using the explorer and joey found over 150.

I guess someone might have shot themselves in the foot. hey Marshall. seeya neilo

Hungry said:
Neilo, I would include 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 in the group for $1 and $2 coins that are on or close to the top of the ground. Bob
Yes Neilo...............and your Hunting partner may be useing less discrimination (excepting more in the target range),and might be the reason YOU are finding less than he.........Just F.Y.I.

I think it's time to treat yourself to a new smaller coil, then you'll increase your finds in similar situations. (you almost covered the cost that day alone)

I've been eyeing off one of those 5" excelerator coils for the trashy sites.

Cheers mate,
Greg

Mc Nickle If you read my post you will see I was using the large cursor this cursor covers an area of 5 numbers square. In other words if it was set on cond 40 it would cover 37 to 42 and ferrous 12 would cover 10 to 14. By using this cursor with the numbers I presented it covers nearly the whole disc range From 5 cond to 42 and ferrous 10-14 over the same range, this is more than adequate for aussie coins plus I had the area for most silver rings covered the same way. I think as I say its teething problems and slowing down getting used to the machine. seeya neilo.

Neilo said:
I guess someone might have shot themselves in the foot. hey Marshall. seeya neilo

That is why I used the old saying, " Physician, heal thy self "

i.e. You posted your problem and you fixed it yourself......Luv...TheMarshall