Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lower sensitivity in salt water?

Is it the norm to have to turn down your sensitivity on the 800 to 19 or so in salt water? I can run as high as 24 on wet salt beaches but in the water it has to be significantly reduced. And if so aren't we losing considerable depth at this lower setting? I also notice that if you increase your sweep speed things get a little more stable.Thanks for the input.

The manual suggest a starting sens of 20 for salt water, so 19 seems right in the ballpark.

Also, you didn't mention the mode you were operating in.
Have you tried both of the Beach modes...which are specifically optimized for wet salt beaches?

(The 'optimization' part is specifically about reducing salt noise...especially Beach 2.)

Lowering sens to 20 or so does reduce some depth, but not as much as you'd think.
Running the sens too high, OTOH, will cause you miss many of the deeper whisper signals, as they'll disappear into the 'noise' chatter.
So running too high a sens can cause more depth loss than a little low.

Observing/finding optimum sweep speeds is a good thing to do. Note that the best sweep speed will change slightly with changes to recovery speed, and especially coil size.
(This is true with pretty much all detectors.)

Good luck, and have fun,
:)
mike

Thanks Mike...I do run in Beach 2 when in the water or near the breaking surf. I also tend to hunt with as much sensitivity as I can without too much chatter, thinking that I am gaining more depth. I will keep what you said in mind for the next water hunt and see how it goes. Thanks for the info! Bob K

yes , I run mostly at 20 when in the water.
Sometimes I can go 21 or 22 ..this depends upon the conditions.

If I sweep too fast I get more falsing but I find that one can only sweep so fast when in the water.

GB......at the waters edge will help settle the machine if its to chatty. I run 21, recovery 4 and beach 2. Beach 2mode has the salt setting and reduced power as well, BUT things change in the water for ALL machines its still as deep as any of them..... yet more sensitive to smaller gold targets. Plain and simple..... they all loose depth in the water.

Its just a fun machine to run on the beach. Its not perfect..... but its a step up in a lot of ways for beach hunting.