Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lower Shaft is Moving Around

Clad2Hunt

I just got my E-Trac. The lower shaft is so loose of a fit with the upper shaft that it moves around when swinging the MD. It ticks on every swing from the lower shaft hitting the inside of the upper shaft. So much slop that unpleasant to swing. I have a Safari and the shaft is a tight fit. Has anyone else had this from a new shaft?

There should be a thin metal shim on the plastic part that puts pressure on the lower shaft. If it is just plastic against plastic, it will not tighten. my son had the same problem, so I cut a piece of aluminum from a can, and glued it to the inner part and it tightened right up. I know that you probably didn't understand what I just said without illustration, but hopefully you will figure it out. Mark

Well if it's a new machine, I'd call Minelab. The Safari, Etrac, and the SE Pro shafts are all interchangeable so there should really be no difference between your two machines. If your machine isn't new thoroughly inspect and compare the upper and lower shafts of both Safari and Etrac and you should see where the problem lies.

I have 3 lower shafts and all or them move , i think the upper shaft is no good. Minelab will get a call. I have bought the machine new back in January. Maybe a total of 15 hours on the detector.

Moved the shaft from Safari and put it on ET. No movement. Put the new shaft in the Safari and it moves around. Appears to be the lower shaft. Dealer is sending me a replacement to see if that resolves this. Thanks for the input guys. Let you know if that works.

I had a similar problem as well. The upper shaft of my e-trac lost what I will call the 'red rubberized brake pad' that the locking cam pushes up against the lower rod. It was poorly bonded at the factory and had fallen off where it was attached. I tried to enlist the help of Minelab, and my dealer, since it was under warranty, and received no help. Fortunately for me, a couple months later I found the little red rubber brake pad in the bottom of my detector bag and went the do-it-myself route and epoxied it back in place.

It is now solid as a rock and there is no lower rod movement and I am back in business.

Rich (Utah)