Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lucky Day = Gold Chain...

Blind Squirrel

Howdy--

My hunting buddy and I had a couple of hours to hunt today so we drove around our prime hunting areas looking for either a freshly mowed vacant lot or a site with a recent home tear down. We found a site where an old house had been torn down and the lot cleared. My buddy was using the 4x6 coil and I used the 6x10 on our V3i's. We both found wheat cents and clad in addition to numerous pizzeria game tokens. My "Lucky Find" was a 14Kt gold chain that weighs 15.2 grams. Why was it a lucky find? Well, because of time constraints - a Texas A& M football game that HAD to be watched. I was only accepting from +16 up. I got a 50 something reading that pinpointed @ 4". I was expecting a crusty memorial or a piece of junk. At the bottom of the hole I saw a flattened bottle cap BUT at the side of the hole I saw some yellow. It looked like a chain so I gently pulled it out of the ground. I figured that it was a junk chain, no big deal. When I got back to the truck I borrowed my buddies magnifier and sure enough: 14Kt, Made in Italy. When I got home I had to see what it would VDI at. It bounced from negative numbers but hit most consistently between +3 and +5. I guess that I was lucky to have dug that flattened bottle cap! Oh, and Texas A&M won handily! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Well good finds, Blind Squirrel.....you beat me again. But, I did find the oldest wheat..being a 1937 D.

Thanks Shafer44. Yup. You sure DID get the oldest coin! And it's older than BOTH of us. But not by much hahahha. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Thanks msareborn! You can say that again. Sometimes it pays to dig those likely trash signals. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Thanks MANDAD76! That was a real lucky find for me. Had I not dug that cap the chain would still be there. One of my best friends is an AGGIE so I'm an AGGIES fan! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Did you acid test it? I have found so many fake "Made in Italy" pieces, I lost count. Seems like everyone is eager to put that on a piece of jewelry to jack up the price.

Congrats!

I'm with Grilled Scallops in that I've found a lot of fake "Made in Italy" chains. If you have a magnet give it the test. Hold it close and see if it draws toward the magnet.

Howdy Grilled Scallops--

Yes, I know what you mean about the fake chains etc. I too have dug my share of them. This one however tests positive for 14KT. It's the real deal. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Thanks Southwind!

The first thing that I did to confirm my initial impression that it was indeed a genuine 14Kt gold item was to give it an air test on my V3i. The +3 to +5 VDI reading made me quite optimistic. I then put a magnet on it: it's non-magnetic. Finally the acid test confirmed that it was indeed 14Kt. I have to laugh at myself when I think about digging all of the bottle caps, pull tabs etc. that WITH that bottle cap was 15.2 grams of 14Kt gold! I probably should play the lottery with THAT kind of luck! Best of luck to you and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Happy for you BS, I have had my share of bogus stamped jewelry too.

Thanks, Larry. When the price of gold goes up, I'll sell it.

Back in the 1980's, using the Eagle 2, I dug a wedding ring that had an inscription and date of 1902 and marked 18Kt. The problem was that it gave a VDI of 77! You know what THAT means: copper and gold plate! Talk about bogusly marked jewelery!? Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel