Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lumber City a Mile of Paved Highway with Foundations

Well....
The American Ghost Town Hunters was at Lumber City on Feb 16, 2013 in spite of the cold and snow. I think we all were succumbing to cabin fever here in the East and we finally broke out!

Kayden, Surg, Billpa and I had a pretty good day.

1 1889 seated dime
5 Indian head pennies
2 Buffalo nickels
1 Wheat cent
75 cents in clad; pocket spill
Parts from 2 toy guns
3 Porcelain jelly jar lids
Oil lamp parts
Brass valve stem
Double bladed Axe head
Teamster Ring
Bullet shells
Other assorted relics

Very nice, and a great day with friends!

Lumber City Hunt Continued....

Surg did well....he found his first Indian head, bullets and relics.
Billpa beat everyone....as usual:beers:....1889 seated dime, indian head, buffalo nickel, wheat cent and 75 cents in clad along with various relics.
Kayden had a tougher day....lots of signals....lots of relics.
Treasure Writer....3 Indian heads...1 Buffalo nickel....various relics, double bladed axe head.

I had a strong 50 cent signal with a crisp tone and a signal at 88; underneath an apple tree......I was thinking silver! So I dug....and dug some more.....and dug some more....16" inches later I recovered an 8" x 8" steel plate....That's the way it goes sometimes!

Nice pics Harry! Yes it was a great to get out....Spring is right around the corner...Hope we can get out next weekend!

What part of the road is that? My grandmother grew up on the old lumber city highway and I really would love to go see the old foundation to her house and there was a lilac bush near their childhood home. I just don't know how to get down to the road. The only part of the old road I know is farm road. I was just wondering of you could help me out.. I'd love to get down there and take some pics and show her so she can reminisce before she passes.

Hello Daynac

There are only 3 partial foundations left at Lumber City. The rest have been removed. The road is there as well as the old bridge abuttments, numerous wells, and the side streets are fairly discernable. To access the area there is a road that cuts down and curves under the new lumber city bridge. You can park there and walk the trail that leads to lumber city road. If you can give me the address I can reference it on my old maps and see what is left there on that lot.

Thanks for the info. She actually lived further down (not in lumber city) towards curwensville. The only information I have is it was close to the railroad trussels that went across the river towards where the dam is now..the remains of the trussels are there. The only reason I know her house foundation is there is because my great uncle was up there and found it but unfortunately he isn't around any more.

I know there are foundations in that area but we haven't searched for them yet. I don't know where to access that section of road. I'll ask a person I know who knows a little more about that area.

Thank you, any information will help me out. I have also been researching her family history on her mother's side and found that she is related to Henry Hile. I'm slowly putting all the information together to see the family tree, she never knew much about that part of her family.

I just gave Scott "Kayden" a call. He's been interested in exploring this area and knows a little about it. Nothing beats getting in there however with cameras. It will probably take us a couple of weeks to get together to do this. Do you have a street address on the old house or houses that you would like us to look for? Any landmarks?

On another note: I was in Zanmore yesterday in Clinton County. I probably have the only photos of the old town that exist. It's a beautiful place with about 6-8 foundations and stone walls lining the old road like in New England. Also saw 100-150 Elk throughout the day.

Hey guys if you look on Pennpilot you will see the house I believe dynac1430 is talking about....it is right near the trestle.
Here is the link to pennpilot ....when searching use the 1937 era
http://www.pennpilot.psu.edu/

No I don't have an actual address for.that house. The only things my gram can remember are that it was near the trussel, it had a lilac bush (which was still there 15 years ago according to my family), and it wasn't too far from the river.

She did say she was pretty close to where the old lumber city sign was (on old lumber city highway), she also mentioned that she didn't have any close neighbors, her family owned about 28 acres. The property (before she lived there) belonged to Mary (mcCracken) Wilkinson her grandmother on her fathers side.

Kayden,
For that Penn pilot site what did you type into the search box?

Lumber City Pa. & if that dont work for you try curwensville then move the new aerial map south up the river till you get Lumber city

Yea that is the correct area...it is very exciting to see those old aerial photos compared to what it looks like now. Any suggestions on the best way to get down there?

You are gonna have to go to the Lumber City bridge & walk down unless you can get permission from land owner up the road