Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

M6 is it a ladies machine?

garyw

I would like to find a machine for my wife. She wouldn't use it unless it was simple. I think lightweight would be good for her as well as my mxt is almost too heavy for her. She would just be happy looking for coins so I am leaning toward the M6. I would use a 5.3 or 4x6 with it to hunt parks and schools and to lighten it up. Is it lighterweight than an mxt? will it hunt coins as well as an mxt? is it easier to use than most others? any help appreciated. Oh by the way we would be interested in a nice used one as I am in the hole on my mtx.

The M6 is basically an MXT without Relic and Prospecting modes.(Similar weight) Now that the 6T has a smaller coil available,that would be a good/light machine with that important option. She could still do well with coins and jewelry plus it auto-tracks ground (so she could join in with you while doing saltwater beach or changing ground conditions). Weight is one thing that Whites still treats as secondary (a bit) in it's top machines,and for some,can be an issue. ( For most, there isn't one as they are still real light to them.) Was talking to a Whites guy (a few years back) and he said people still really liked the metal housing and ease of there 8 AA battery pack assembly so well that It'd most likely be used for a while. Using a plastic housing would be probably be a less expensive way of manufacturing but...they did have the system down for bending, finishing and assembling the aluminum (aircraft grade) with an added bonus of low return rate for breakage etc...so..."we'll probably be sticking with it for a while".
It turned out to be a good decision. (The machines do stay out in the field and don't come back to them much...still.)

The 6T is a departure in that the electronics are up in the control pod,and the popular 8 cell battery pack is down in the high impact resistant housing.(Imagine that would only be an easy/affordable swap out should a need arise.) That's good design. With the "juice" and the ground tracking, the 6T is a Prism in name only as I checked one out awhile back, and it definitely had a real performance increase over the other Prism models. Plus...made in Oregon. Good stuff all.

I think you are on the right track with the smaller coil combo for a M6 or even a MXT as a second detector Gary. You get to keep the coil and battery compatibility, that you would lose with the 6T, but the 6T is a nice light machine. I think she would get used to the weight the more she uses it, often a new user is just using muscles that are not used to being used. Like us who take the winter off from detecting, those first few times out in the spring.................:stretcher:...........ouch. ( I really don't think my age has anything to do with the sore muscles).....:surrender:

We need to give :garrett: credit where credit is due too. $ for $, the 250 is a lot of bang for the buck.