Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Magellan Meridian GPS

Conrad From Ct

I have a Magellan Meridian standard GPS. It recently stopped acquiring the satelites. I read on the net some time ago that if the batteries ran too low with this base model, it would loose it's operating program. Is this so? I called Magellan and they told me that they do not support this model anymore. Is there anything I can do to recover it. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

I've been just fine thanks.
I have an old meridian GPS and it just stopped working. It fails to acquire the satelites and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to restore it back to original. I really do not want to have to buy a new unit, if it is possible to restore it.

When batteries run too low or are disconnected for more than few hours, Meridian should not loose it's operating system but, it will loose the current Almanac. Because of it, the receiver has no clue where and what satellites are in the sky and takes a very, very long time to lock on.
Put a set of fresh batteries in and leave the receiver outside, in clear view of the sky, for several hours. It may take couple hours to get the lock! After it does get a lock, leave it ON, undisturbed for 2+ hours. That will allow the complete new almanac to be downloaded. After that, it should operate normal until... you leave it without batteries for a while.

HTH

Andrew your advice was perfect. I set the unit on a window sill that had a good view of the sky and after about an hour it acquired the satelites. I left it there for 3 more hours as you had instructed and the unit is working perfectly. Thank you very much.

You're welcome.
Now, to keep it up to date, have it working (say) each month for total of couple of hours - these don't have to be continuous as the unit can download the data in pieces.
Also; if you want the unit to work better in difficult conditions (any GPS unit), have it ON and locked for 20+ minutes before entering the woods.

I put it outside, to update it, and had forgot about it, for a few days.
It took about 1/2 hr. to grab 5 or 6 birds.