Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Magellan Sportrax topo problems

coinnut

Hi, Had purchased a Magellan Sportrax Topo GPS brand new (Old model) on E bay and got a great deal. I believe the memory on it is around 100K. It does have a couple of problems though and I wanted to know if this or other Magellans had the same problem. #1 - While searching for satellites and not finding them quick enough, the satellites that are numbered go blank and only the empty screen remains. It then will not lock on to any satellites. If I shut the unit off and restart, it sometimes works and almost always works if I remove the batteries. #2 - The threaded insert that is molded into the back of the unit slips while I try and remove the battery door. Finally it broke. The insert is on the back panel which is hardwired to the circuits of the GPS making it hard to replace . Do all Magellans have this cheap battery door lock? And finally, I'm thinking of switching to the Garmin 76CSX (if it has a better battery compartment). Has anyone tried that unit??? Thanks for your help.

#1 More than likely, your unit needs all the current orbital data. Turn it on. Let it lock and leave it turned on and locked, in good view of the sky for over 2 hours. Well,just in case, better make it 4. After that, the full almanac will be updated and the unit should be locking much faster.

#2 IIRC (don't have any with me) some are better than others. In any case, it's the very first time I hear about this type of a problem with Magellan's battery door. Unfortunately, often, the better the receiver the flimsier the battery door. My fav. iFinder has the crappiest I have ever seen! IMHO Most Garmins are in this respect no stronger than Magellans.

I don't have any experience with 76CSX

Hi Andrew, Thanks for the info on my GPS. I will leave it on for a couple of hours to help it fully locate itself. And I guess the battery doors doesn't rate as the most important feature on GPS's, so I'll have to be more careful when tightening the door. Also enjoyed your posting on the 3 major brand of GPS and their pluses and minuses. I never even heard of Lowrance. In short, for me at least, The Garmin doesn't sound like a bad unit for treasure hunting in the woods, as long as you don't pick the e-trex series. Thanks again - George