Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Magellan Triton.. any good?

willy

Was at Wal-Mart today and noticed the new Triton GPS units. They're pretty cheap and look good.. but, upon getting home and checking them out on the internet, they're starting to look pretty bad. Bad, as in bad reviews and words like 'disappointment', 'bag of coal', 'worthless'. Well, what's the scoop? Is it a stinker? ..Willy.

(Post Edited - I just realized that it is a Magellan) I have no experience with these - there are now so many new units on the market that it's impossible to keep track of all of them. Magellan generally is good but I have more faith in Garmin and Lowrance. Than again, it is my very personal preference.

One thing that looks interesting re. the Triton GPS units is that they can use National Geographic maps as basemaps. Having to use only the company's own maps (and buying them) is really annoying. This gives some flexibility. I wonder if the other GPS manufacturers are doing the same. ..Willy.

Actually Magellan's technology is supposed to be pretty good, although the initial release of the tritons has had problems -- just like the newest models from Garmin, btw. But there are also people who really like the product. I've got a Maestro 3250 and am really happy with it, but then I'm not a power user either.

I can add my experience with the Triton. I was also at the local wally world and saw them . They had the 200, 400, and 1500. The 400 looked good but there wasnt any instructions or cd in the box (4 of them ) . So I checked out with the 200. The buttons are very small , hard to activate with large fingers and hard to push in. When loading the cd I found you have to go to the Magellan web site and download the instruction manual. Then there was something else on the cd to download which after 6 hours trying on a dial up and couldnt get to work . The unit was returned with big disappointments. I might add the 200 showed me 8 miles from where I was sitting on the porch moving at 3 miles an hour in a north direction when I was looking south. Mind you I was on the front porch in a chair.
When I returned the unit the sporting goods dept had a XOG Lowrance they just got in . And knowing the sales associate there , talked me into trying that one instead. For what I found out on the new gps units GIVE THIS ONE A TRY, I think you might like it for under 200$ seems to cover just about all that one would want. Plus the fact its portable in and out of a auto.