Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Maiden Voyage for Military relics finds a semi gilted Eagle Button

Gonehunting

I have been wanting to take the Deus out for a relic hunt at my spot where I have found several relics from the 1820's to 1850's. The thought of getting a bad case of poison ivy/oak, has kept me away. I got a homeopathic remedy from the local pharmacy I hope it's working like they said..

So with my system full of poison ivy kryptonite I grabbed the Deus and headed to one of my hot spots. I was focusing on low 70's and up. First couple of signals were camp lead and round balls. Nothing exciting. So I moved on and came to a spot where I found several other buttons. Immediately I started getting low tones in the 30's to 40's. Not really something I would dig.(I will later come to regret it)
Finally, I got a higher 85-89. As soon as the plug was dug I saw the familiar round shape of a button. The shank was missing.

nIje1.jpg

qtz5P.jpg

yVxSr.jpg

dvsZf.jpg

After finding the button I stayed in the immediate area and continued scanning.. I got this very repeatable signal at around 34-40. Sounding close to the surface I thought what the heck.. I dug the plug, and scanned and couldn't find it. I rescanned around where it was at only to find that it had been kicked when I cleaned the top layer of soil before digging.. And this nice number "7" showed..

WDdW2.jpg

Fort Washita lies several miles to the North and West of this crossing so it is possible that this 7 is from the 7th Infantry stationed there from the 1820's to 1850's.

On a separate hunt I also found the letter "I" that could have also been from that same Company

After finding that I was kicking myself for not digging all of the 30-40's signals that I had passed over. Continuing around the small area I found a very large rim fired shell casing. There isn't a letter or anything to identify the maker.

GnYaz.jpg

eHvHj.jpg

1SocM.jpg

After I found the casing, I remembered a larger high signal that I hadn't been able to dig do to the smaller shovel that I used on prior trips.. Being only a few yards away I headed for it and dug down to the signal.. I have no idea what it is.. It appears to be a neck to something with a possible cork or something white in the end..

O21Ee.jpg

fZ8La.jpg

noo5Z.jpg

Remembering the other 30-40 tones I backtracked and rescanned and immediately found this second what's it.

dLZb7.jpg

I thought it might have been a scabbard tip, but looks to small...

My 3rd what's it was a larger high tone. I know its probably iron that was falsing. I still have no idea what it is, but thought someone might recognize it.

SHCnq.jpg

fb5yt.jpg

It wasn't a stellar day, but the button and the company/regiment number 7 was well worth the trip.

rRcSc.jpg

Thanks for reading...
Evan
Gonehunting for History

Thanks for sharing Evan, those are some interesting relics. I agree with you about the 30's-40's. Some days I dig them (when there is not much going on) and other days I leave them if I am getting a lot of other signals. I am still trying to figure out how many good targets fall in this range, as here in Minnesota, 30's-40's generally ends up in digging a bunch of aluminum trash. I will dig all signals in this range over my next couple of hunts and see how many "keepers" I get. I fear that the number will be very low. Thanks for your post and I look forward to seeing your coming finds. HH -Marc

I would call that a good hunt........:clapping:

Love the button Evan! I need to come downwnd hunt with you again. I'll bring the deet! Lol

MHirschmann said:
Thanks for sharing Evan, those are some interesting relics. I agree with you about the 30's-40's. Some days I dig them (when there is not much going on) and other days I leave them if I am getting a lot of other signals. I am still trying to figure out how many good targets fall in this range, as here in Minnesota, 30's-40's generally ends up in digging a bunch of aluminum trash. I will dig all signals in this range over my next couple of hunts and see how many "keepers" I get. I fear that the number will be very low. Thanks for your post and I look forward to seeing your coming finds. HH -Marc
Marc, where I am at there is zero modern trash.. I have not dug anything newer than say the 1880's. Most targets are round balls, square nails, under garment 4 hole buttons, I have been finding a lot of smashed lead.. one was made into a fish effigy. Most targets are from the surface down to about 5 inches.. there are deeper ones but you have to dig all the square nails and tin to hear them.. I dug two 50's one was another button and a smash lead. The 30' signals seem to be really thin pieces.. the 7 is especially thin.. Im wondering if it has to do with the thinness and the number....
Big Boys Hobbies said:
Love the button Evan! I need to come downwnd hunt with you again. I'll bring the deet! Lol
Bring a big fly swatter, the horse flies are huge and copperheads are everywhere, saw 4 today. kept me on my toes... I went back today and found a couple more.. will post in a few hours..

And thanks everyone..

Nice I...

I like that hat number !!!

Good Dig's.

Keith

Thanks Keith...