Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Maiden Voyage

Daniel Tn

I got out about 2 hrs today to an old home site I have been digging the last few months. I am new to the coin thing...have mostly relic hunted all these yrs but now there's just something about the shine of silver that captivates me. Anyway I have been hunting this hard with the T2 and AT Pro and have found quite a few coins. The ground here is extremely good for this area but the ID on the T2 is so-so at best and I had been relying on good ID at this particular site so I felt there were deeper coins I was detecting but with inconsistent IDs.

I went with the eTrac setup in factory coins and just 2 tone ferrous...then swapped to two tone cond. I found a few coins and junk pieces....interesting to note that ALL my junk pieces dug are round and read in the mid 30s. Nearly all the coins were in the 40s or upper 30s and a couple were in the 8" mark. The merc dime was the last target I dug and it was just 5" deep which seems to be where the T2 starts getting squirrely on IDs and begins jumping. I wont forget the sound of that dime and id never moved from 14-44....was the same from 90 degrees around it. I did experience a few times of signals sounding sweet and reading in the 38-44 cond range and showing mid range on the depth scale...then when I would dig the signal disappeared. Past experience shows to dig a little more when this happens and often you recover the target. Twice today I couldn't find a target and the third time I got determined to see what these ghost signals were and found a wheat cent nearly 10" deep. I think I need a probe bad for this machine. It was essential for the Explorer II and I guess maybe the eTrac too. Still got some learning but a decent day considered the last two times there with the AT Pro and T2 turned up nothing.

0e80e9cf-4da7-4a2f-8880-10e8643a2f97.jpg

And here was the total Wheaties and silver as of a couple weeks ago...today's finds not included nor the modern coins.

f2ec0ce6-51e3-44b0-9961-2be73aec3201.jpg

Looks like you did great on your 1st hunt with the E-trac!:thumbup: You really need a probe to save you time and trouble.

At this point if I don't have a probe, I wont go detecting
I can find the coin with great effort but too frustrating

Do the Minelab wiggle, but not in pinpoint mode.........NGE