Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Major disappointment with vx3

Gandorf

Recently I have been trying hard to learn the secrets of the vx3, so I have been reading lots of comments on different forums and have learned a lot. One guy complained that he never dug a coin with the VX3 deeper than 3 inches and then I realized that neither have I. I have dug tons of shallow clads and a few older coins, (1864 2 cents, 1890 trade token, a few mercury dimes), but nothing deeper than about 3 inches. I also have found no jewelry at all. So I went into the back yard tonight and buried a 1944 quarter at 6 inches and a silver cub scout ring that I found years ago, at 4 inches and swung away. After a manual ground balance and applying all the great wisdom I have accumulated over the past year, I was unable to get a clear repeatable signal in any way shape or form on either target. I tried every mode and sensitivity, filter and audio setting. Nothing at all in coin or coin and jewelry mode. Not even when pulling the trigger. The only signal that I would have actually dug in the field came in the deep silver mode but I had the gains set so high that I would not have actually been hunting that way.

I am not necessarily blaming the machine, but it is frustrating to think about how much I have spent both time and money and yet can't find a silver quarter at 6 inches. I found this same quarter at 8 inches in the same yard 10 years ago with a lesser machine with hardly any tweaking or tuning at all.

I know from what I am reading that this machine is capable of going much deeper than that. What am I doing wrong? I need some motivation so help me out.

Have your machine checked out. I'm a second go around V3i user and my first machine was not as good as the one I have now.

I would suspect a coil problem, if you can, try a different coil and see how it does. Or send it to White's and have them go through it, and give it a clean bill of health. Right out of the box, the VX3 works great using the preset programs, and gets respectful depth.

I too suspect a bad coil, is it new or used? New call your dealer and get another unit and if it is used, have White's check it out, you might have bought someone else's problems. What does the unit do in an air test, you should be getting about 10 inches.

Thanks for the replies. I did buy it used but it was only about a month old and used maybe twice. I was given the original receipt of sale. I just did a quick air test with the same silver quarter. At 10 rx gain and 75 disc I got a repeatable signal at 6.5 inches. At 15 rx and 90 disc I got a repeatable signal at 9 inches with lots of chatter. (Probably emi from power lines about 75 feet away.) This was in coin mode. If I turned the disc up to 100 just got chirping and nulling. That's all I had time for before dark. I will have more time tomorrow to do more testing.

You should be getting allot better than 6.5" on a silver quarter air testing. In the sweet spot of the coil, D2 or the 10x12 SEF you should easily see it at 10" at a gain of 10 and disc of 75. Something doesnt seem right at all. I would recommend you try any of the vx3 deep programs, and I dont know what the vx3 has.

I have a v3i and I would be using hi-pro or deep silver in 3 frequency if I didnt have mixed mode. Send that detector in for a health check up.

I have the stock 9.5 concentric coil that came with it. I am going to take it by the local dealer today and see what he has to say. Maybe he has another coil we can try.

Well I took your recommendations and sent my VX3 back to Home Sweet Home. They confirmed that the coil was bad. (failed null test). They reset, calibrated and gave it a thorough check up as well as sent me a brand new shiny coil, all at no charge. I was surprised to say the least since I bought it used on craigslist over a year ago. I took it out for a few hours today and found that it runs much quieter and deeper. I searched an area that I have hunted many times in the past (with this and other detectors). I immediately began to find coins in the 4 to 5 inch range which is deeper than any I have found with the VX3 yet. This site is very trashy which was a nightmare to hunt with the bad coil. Also found a couple of clown tokens of which I have found many on this site. I have ordered the 5.3 coil and I am looking forward to seeing what it will do. Thanks for your suggestions.

I had to send my VX3 in as well. I hope that I get similar results. White has certainly stood behind there product and taken care of me well beyond what most companies would.