Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Making your own carbon fiber 2 pc shaft ?

Sonny1965

Has anyone tried to make their own? Having to send original shaft back to Minelab for the wobble issue . I know plugger sells them but it doesn't look like it would be a dificult project to do yourself.Thanks in advance Sonny.

Sonny,

I make lower shafts for the CTX out of carbon fiber. Now that I have all the "kinks" worked out, it's not too tough. The tough parts about making your own rods are A.) finding a carbon-fiber supplier, and ESPECIALLY B.) finding a way to design, and then get someone to fabricate, that "lower part" of the rod, the plastic "clevis" or "yoke" part that the coil fits onto.

BUT -- again, what I am doing is just making a one-piece lower shaft, which is easier than what you want to do. Once you start wanting to make two-piece shafts, you have to start thinking about how to connect them (screw-in couplings, I assume)? This makes it more difficult.

It is certainly DO-ABLE, but likely not "simple." The SIMPLEST would be to make a one-piece shaft, extending from arm-cuff end to coil end; you could then simply attach the "handle and control box portion" of the unit anywhere along the length of that shaft that you wanted to, and the same with the arm cuff -- with just the simple drilling of a hole in the shaft in the right position to mount the cuff. Again, though, you still have to solve the issue in acquiring that lower "clevis" piece. I have seen versions of these lower "clevis" pieces available on occasion, as "replacement" parts -- but can't recall where. AND, I have no idea if the ones I saw would be the proper width to "fit" between the Equinox coil's "ears." But, if you could find one of these replacement "clevises," and if the part that fits between the coil ears is the right size, the rest of the process of making a one-piece shaft would not be that hard -- just some gluing, a bit of drilling, and such. Once you get into the two-piece thing, though, it would be a bit tougher, as you now have to figure out what type of "union" you want to use to join the two pieces.

Just my thoughts...

Steve

Sonny many of us water guys make our own for the Xcal....... you just have to pay attention when drilling holes that matter. With the EQ you have to get the handle in the right location since it requires a hole. Get it wrong and it feels awkward to swing and throws the weight off. Obviously the more adjust-ability the more holes. CF will run about $70 for a 36" piece....... always costs me more because i like a longer upper to allow a good deal more swing and stronger.

Ive got the Andersons shaft which is just outstanding and its lower shaft is 28" long.... which helps if you are tall or want more swing.

I think the clevis and other parts could be 3 d printed. I don’t hav one but I have seen some great looking parts come off one .

brother steve -- they COULD be 3-D printed. The two issues are -- 1, would a 3-D printed part be durable enough (the "standard" plastic used for "prototyping" probably would not be -- it would need to be a more "structural" plastic), and 2, in ORDER to 3-D print them, you'd need an appropriate type of design diagram, put into proper 3-D printer format. Unless one has specific knowledge as to how to draw/create one of those 3-D printable design diagram files, this might prove a bit more difficult than at first glance.

Steve

For the Xcal ...... i use the small lower that comes as the dive shaft with a longer upper CF........ or we use Xterra/Whites and use double rubbers to make up the slack. Works great. But in his case ..... you can use the ML cuff and lower shaft.......all you need is enough CF to do your upper.... if hes looking for a project.

Steve G.....get crackin’!;) You’re gonna have a full line pretty soon here...

LOL, IDX!

I wouldn't know how to BEGIN to make rods for the Equinox that people would want. One piece? Two piece? Straight shaft? S-shaft? Screw-in connectors? Spring-type connectors like the current rods use?

SO many variables!

Steve

Steve, I work at Penn State University and they have a lot of printers doing various projects. The part would first be 3d scanned and then sent to the printer. There are a lot of various plastics available.High strength ones would be the best. Some of the research labs have metal 3d printers ,very cool. The only problem I see is coping an existing product,which I am sure is proprietary.

Steve --

HA -- I got my degree from Penn State!

Sounds like you could pull it off then, in terms of the proper plastic. Yes, the "scan" could be a proprietary issue, BUT -- I think if you were just scanning the lower rod piece just to build a rod for yourself, you'd be fine. Only if you wanted to sell the rods, could that be an issue, such that you might "design your own" lower rod piece.

Steve

Nice to hear that! I am at u-park. I believe once scanned one could manipulate the file to make( improvements) to the part. Then possible use the printed part to make a mold that one could pour a variety of materials.
As for me, I just need one, so I would buy it. I am just throwing some tech ideas out there .

Steve,

After 2 years at a PSU branch campus, I spent my last two at U-Park, and it was a GREAT experience! I loved it there!

Yes, "manipulating" the file to make some changes should do the trick. And, the mold idea is a good one. I personally wouldn't know how to make such a mold, but with a 3-D printed part in hand, I am sure someone/some company could be found to make mold, and then produce molded parts out of any one of several types of plastic material. A very good idea, which gives me some things to think about...

Steve