Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Makro 2 is being pretty noisy

Foiled

I got my Makro 2 today and took it out to a local park, my backyard and the side of a school. The problem is the chatter is non stop, it got so annoying and at one point it was so bad I couldn't hear a good signal, I turned it off and came home. I tried every setting and had the gain down to 16 before it would stop but it would not give a signal on a 2" deep quarter at that setting. It was a chattering the second I put batteries in it. Any tricks? I have tried it in every mode and it's still the same except for in all metal where there is a constant tone. I was using it mostly in two tone. I tried turning disc all the way up to 90 or whatever it goes to to block out everything except silver and it was still doing it, shouldn't it be silent like that? I'm used to my Vaquero which is dead silent, is this how these are supposed to be?

I would try new batteries, the ones they send with the machine are junk. If that dont work id say u got a bad machine or coil. Contact Makro

If you got the Pro Pack--have you tried the other (small coil)?-----Or try another coil if you have access to one.-----Try changing batteries (make sure you have full strength alkalines).------Batteries can make a detector act crazy (as can a bad coil).-----If this doesn't do the trick--contact Makro.-----If the detector is under warranty, they will make it good for yah (and at no charge).-----Also, make sure the coil cable connector to box is aligned/seated properly & adequately tightened (finger tight).

D&P-OR said:
If you got the Pro Pack--have you tried the other (small coil)?-----Or try another coil if you have access to one.-----Try changing batteries (make sure you have full strength alkalines).------Batteries can make a detector act crazy (as can a bad coil).-----If this doesn't do the trick--contact Makro.-----If the detector is under warranty, they will make it good for yah (and at no charge).-----Also, make sure the coil cable connector to box is aligned/seated properly & adequately tightened (finger tight).

No on the Pro Pack, Batteries are good, coil connector tight. Yes under warranty, just got it today.:cry: Thanks!

Dilek, I'd be curious to know what is going wrong with these units that are being sent back?
I'd assume you do some sort of sanity check on each builtup unit prior to shipping them to the distributors?

or maybe your mfg process could use a detailed look to see what is being missed?

thank goodness mine seems to be ok, except that the depth reading is wonky, ie always reads 2 or 3 inches regardless of
real target depth....

cheers....ps, have the wireless units for R2 shipped yet and can you confirm that the same setup can also be used on the
Impact....this point would be a big + for those planning to buy the Impact, myself included....

These are not beep and dig machines. You will hear everything in the ground that most all machines won't. That's what makes them so good. High gain detector that will find stuff missed like no other. Be prepared to listen.

JFlynn said:
These are not beep and dig machines. You will hear everything in the ground that most all machines won't. That's what makes them so good. High gain detector that will find stuff missed like no other. Be prepared to listen.

Except that's all I hear, all the chatter overwhelms the good signals in every mode, it is incredibly noisy even with disc turned all the way up it still won't discriminate. It has constant chatter even though it's not moving. It doesn't go silent until gain is turned down to 16 or less then it won't pick up anything.

Foiled,

There is a 'Frequency Offset' on the R2 - look it up in the IM and try it out. It 'might not' erase the EMI completely (that depends on the cause?) but it might help?

Look around you: are there telephone masts nearby? TV stations?

Check your coil connection: lock that silver locking collar: Steady that coil cable: make sure it is not laying across the coil.

Do a Ground Balance.

Try another coil (if you have one)

Start with Gain on 40

I hope this helps.

Des D

Sounds like a badly shielded coil or defective coil.
Factory QA/QC should have prevented that unit from ever being sold.

I would pack it up and get a refund before it is to late.
To many good proven detectors out there to fool with the newcomers and their lemons.

Of course that is just mt personal and humble opinion.

Des D said:
Foiled,

There is a 'Frequency Offset' on the R2 - look it up in the IM and try it out. It 'might not' erase the EMI completely (that depends on the cause?) but it might help?

Look around you: are there telephone masts nearby? TV stations?

Check your coil connection: lock that silver locking collar: Steady that coil cable: make sure it is not laying across the coil.

Do a Ground Balance.

Try another coil (if you have one)

Start with Gain on 40

Yep, I've tried everything, took it out last night again and tried gain, frequency, different modes, beach was quietest but theres not one a hundred miles from here ;-) Tried deep, always falsing, All modes constant click,click, click, click……..It did get quieter but the constant clicking with volume all the way down is pretty annoying when trying to dig. I turn my headphones off every time now. There were some small power lines and telephone poles in the park but not closer than 500 ft away. I have noticed the bottom of the coil comes off and was filled with grass, dirt and water exposing the potting epoxy after about an hour of use on dew covered grass, should that be sealed? Thanks

I hope this helps.

Des D

Contact makro. Sounds like a bad coil.

If you tried all the above as well as cleaning out the grass under the coil cover (you called it bottom of coil I think) and reinstall it, then it's probably a bad coil.
As always double check your coil connection to the unit, change batteries, and all the other "obvious" stuff.
If there's a way to do a factory reset in your manual, do that and make sure you ground balance in a clean spot with no metal.
That's all I can think of.

....sorry I also meant to advise turn your cell phone OFF...it can make a difference?

Yes. Dew can and will affect coils but not so much these days now with modern moulded manufacturing and internal painting for electrostatic prevention but, I am inclined to think that yes, you might have a bad coil.

Yes, I tried that last night, turned my phone off and guess what happened, I got a call from the burglar alarm company trying to tell me the office alarm at work was going off, didn't find out 'til this morning because I forgot to turn my phone back on.:rofl: Otherwise no, it didn't help.

Foiled, I have the Red Racer and the park I went to has EMI like crazy and the machine was noisy as heck. These machines have to be ground balanced properly and the noise should go away. When ground balanced properly the depth reading up to 6 inches on coins is dead on, I have never had a machine so accurate on the depth readings before. Here in Winnipeg, the soil is incredible neutral and ground balances at 30, the Racer in 2 tone and 3 tone when you ground balance automatically will go from 40 to 90, that's great if your ground is in that range but not so much if its less than that. Have you tried Beach mode? This mode tipped me off on how low the ground balance was in my area and is actually the quietest mode for me its like two tone mode with quietness built in and can ground balance to 0. Try Beach mode, see what it ground balances at then go into 2 or 3 tone and ground balance it to that point.
Another suggestion is to see if there is a metal detector club in you area see if someone there has a Racer to you can try their coil on your machine. If your machine works properly contact Makro and they will take care of you and get you a working coil. I can tell you that the Racer is like a sports car and it allows you a few options to turn it into a beast. It works, and it works well but you have to put in the time with it and learn it's language and once your bilingual with your machine your finds will increase ten fold. Please don't buy into the notion that you should buy American made, because I've had many of the American made machines and no they aren't better just more money, nothing new just re branded into a different box and they don't listen to there customers. I have written to two of the largest metal detector brands in the us and never ever heard back from any of them. I have written Makro, and had a response the very next day. Makro does research and development, listens to there customers and asks them what they want in a metal detector? They test and actually use the machines that they design. It's exciting to see what they come up with next, and yes they well be making water proof units as well.

Well said mate love your work.
It's true about Makro's service. Can't beat it and they are super quick in response time.
My coil problem was fixed in days and the interaction with makro is unreal. Very happy I must say.
My red racer is kicking ass now and I'm loving it.

I did try beach mode and it did quiet a bit more, I tried different frequencies and that did nothing, I couldn't use my headphones, it was just too much for my ears.
I took the coil cover off and it was filled with iron, looked like a magnet. Maybe I'll just seal it with RTV silicone, the stuff lasts forever.

Are there any negative aspects that come with sealing it? It seems to fill up about ten minutes after I empty it, a lot of water dirt and grass just from the lawn at the park.
Maybe it's just me not being used to digital machines since I've only used analog until now.

I did find a lot more coins I had missed with other detectors in places I know for sure I had gone over before in my yard and at the school, not because it's better but because this one has a VDI telling me that it was a coin instead of an odd signal I couldn't decipher with analog, (well maybe a little better) I have found the readout to be correct more 90% of the time on coins
I really like the layout of the menu, super easy to learn and well designed. I am finding stuff though! Maybe user error, maybe not.:confused:

Foiled, did you try taking the coil cover off and then resetting the machine to see if the coil cover is causing your issue?