Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Makro gold vs Fors gold plus

Grumpie

Can anyone chime in on these two detectors.
I own the nokta and consider it a good Detector but when comparing it to the Makro gold in depth, discrimination and mineralization canceling abilities they seem basically the same, except when hitting on small gold then the Makro wins for obvious reasons.
The Makro may have a little more chatter in hot soil but not much.
The Makro is lighter and has a LCD screen and panel that can be used with the same hand you swing with. Maybe I'm missing something?

I;ve had my fors for gold + for over a year now, tried every mode, gen, fst,bst, so far I have only found trash. The gold is very fine in most places where I hunt and the fors just will not find it. Just bought a gold but 2, now I find gold.
Just my 2 cents.
Bob

BobOso said:
I;ve had my fors for gold + for over a year now, tried every mode, gen, fst,bst, so far I have only found trash. The gold is very fine in most places where I hunt and the fors just will not find it. Just bought a gold but 2, now I find gold.
Just my 2 cents.
Bob

Did you give the Makro any thought?
Just curious what headphones were you using with the nokta.
I know the nokta will find small miniscule gold, you may get a better signal/louder with the GB. But my Nokta will pick up #9 bird shot 2 inches. Are u finding gold smaller than that

The Fors plus, Makro Gold Racer, and Racer 2 are all great at finding tiny gold with standard size coils or smaller. I think the
Gold Racer has a slight advantage on the tiny stuff. It is hotter and louder which can help you find it easier and get a slight more depth. Mainly because it is a stronger frequency. Gold Racer has a newer eliptical coil, a 7" x 4" which is also very good on tiny stuff. Ive owned both Goldbug pro and Goldbug 2 and the Nok/mak detectors keep right up with them. They both are good at finding tiny gold aswell. But the Nok/mak detectors have a nice advantage of having an Isat adjustment. Most if not all the places that I find gold are medium to bad mineralization. The isat adjustment keeps the threshold tone in all metal mode from blanking out over strong mineralization. Try running a goldbug pro or goldbug 2 over the same areas and you lose your threshold from blanking out and you miss targets. I have done this in the past and have gone back with the Nok/Mak detectors and found the rest of the gold I missed because of threshold blanking on earlier fisher detectors. They say that the more isat adjustment you use that youll lose some depth but I haven't noticed any loss.
All the detectors above will find gold so small that usually that is what I would almost call color in a gold pan.
The nokta pinpointer will also detect tiny gold in a pinpoint situation. Most sensitive pinpointer I ever used.
I do have some videos on my youtube channel called forsgoldadventures of the Nok/mak detectors finding tiny gold.
Good luck

californiagold said:
The Fors plus, Makro Gold Racer, and Racer 2 are all great at finding tiny gold with standard size coils or smaller. I think the
Gold Racer has a slight advantage on the tiny stuff. It is hotter and louder which can help you find it easier and get a slight more depth. Mainly because it is a stronger frequency. Gold Racer has a newer eliptical coil, a 7" x 4" which is also very good on tiny stuff. Ive owned both Goldbug pro and Goldbug 2 and the Nok/mak detectors keep right up with them. They both are good at finding tiny gold aswell. But the Nok/mak detectors have a nice advantage of having an Isat adjustment. Most if not all the places that I find gold are medium to bad mineralization. The isat adjustment keeps the threshold tone in all metal mode from blanking out over strong mineralization. Try running a goldbug pro or goldbug 2 over the same areas and you lose your threshold from blanking out and you miss targets. I have done this in the past and have gone back with the Nok/Mak detectors and found the rest of the gold I missed because of threshold blanking on earlier fisher detectors. They say that the more isat adjustment you use that youll lose some depth but I haven't noticed any loss.
All the detectors above will find gold so small that usually that is what I would almost call color in a gold pan.
The nokta pinpointer will also detect tiny gold in a pinpoint situation. Most sensitive pinpointer I ever used.
I do have some videos on my youtube channel called forsgoldadventures of the Nok/mak detectors finding tiny gold.
Good luck

Thank you for the advice. I watched your YouTube vids long before I found out you visited this forum. I think you are about the only one who has a vid on the fors gold plus.
Just curious, when talking about the Nokta and makro do you see any advantage owning one over the other?
I'm not gonna ask you which one you prefer, but if you already owned one do you see any benefit in owning the other as well?

Hey grumpie. Owning anyone of them is good enough. Owning both is only a slight advantage for gold racer for it is stronger and the tiny gold is alittle louder. If I only had Fors plus then I would still be happy enough with no complaints. I personally like the design of the makro detectors just a little better then the nokta detectors. And I think makro has a smoother threshold in all metal. I have seen people say they like the balance of the noktas better then makro. But I think getting a detector with an isat adjustment is important if your going to be doing any all metal mode detecting. It really comes down to personal choice of what your needs are for detecting. Good luck

californiagold said:
Hey grumpie. Owning anyone of them is good enough. Owning both is only a slight advantage for gold racer for it is stronger and the tiny gold is alittle louder. If I only had Fors plus then I would still be happy enough with no complaints. I personally like the design of the makro detectors just a little better then the nokta detectors. And I think makro has a smoother threshold in all metal. I have seen people say they like the balance of the noktas better then makro. But I think getting a detector with an isat adjustment is important if your going to be doing any all metal mode detecting. It really comes down to personal choice of what your needs are for detecting. Good luck

Sounds good thank you

I have some small flakes in a vial that is used for testing, before I actually start swinging the detector for the day. The flakes equal the tip of a ball point pen. The Fors will not sound off, the gold bug 2 will. I have several headphones, but also being over 60, having worked in an extremely noisy trade all my life, not to mention the military, I need hearing aids, so I use amplified bluetooth headphones that will blast my eardrums out. I did spend about 30 minuets one outing digging down 18 inches and found a horse shoe with the Fors.(ground is like concrete out here)
I have never tried the Racer so I have nothing to say about it, but have decided to only buy detectors that have a good reputation and that I can order parts for without any problems. I tried to order the 12 inch coil for the fors, it was on back order, it was on back order with no idea when a shipment would come in.
I bought a Minelab off ebay that was missing a part, the part had to be shipped from Australia, but had it in about 10 days.

I have used both. The Gold+ will pick up gold, and will go deeper than the Gold Racer once pieces start to get larger. But in my parts the PI's have picked up most of these already, so what the PI's have left behind is very small pieces, and the Gold Racer has a much better chance at picking these up, especially with the 5" or GR19 elliptical coils.

For me I prefer the Fors platform, the control box at the back is a better counter balance, and I love the 11x7" coil. (The Relic coil actually is pretty awesome on the Fors Gold+).
I tend to recommend the Gold+ to people who want to do a bit of everything with the one machine: coin, relics, gold and have a good chance on gold jewellery. I recommend the Gold Racer to users who are after a specialty machine for micro gold, jewellery and can use it as a coin shooter as well.

Totally agree with Californiagold's summary, especially his comments on iSat. The Racer's just have that nice smooth threshold which hold steady in bad ground. This is extremely important when hunting gold. With the Gold+, I find by using the 5" coil, threshold up a little, iSat on 4, and keep the Sensitivity at a conservative level will give you the best compromise between a stable machine and target sensitivity.

nenadgbeepin said:
I have used both. The Gold+ will pick up gold, and will go deeper than the Gold Racer once pieces start to get larger. But in my parts the PI's have picked up most of these already, so what the PI's have left behind is very small pieces, and the Gold Racer has a much better chance at picking these up, especially with the 5" or GR19 elliptical coils.

For me I prefer the Fors platform, the control box at the back is a better counter balance, and I love the 11x7" coil. (The Relic coil actually is pretty awesome on the Fors Gold+).
I tend to recommend the Gold+ to people who want to do a bit of everything with the one machine: coin, relics, gold and have a good chance on gold jewellery. I recommend the Gold Racer to users who are after a specialty machine for micro gold, jewellery and can use it as a coin shooter as well.

Totally agree with Californiagold's summary, especially his comments on iSat. The Racer's just have that nice smooth threshold which hold steady in bad ground. This is extremely important when hunting gold. With the Gold+, I find by using the 5" coil, threshold up a little, iSat on 4, and keep the Sensitivity at a conservative level will give you the best compromise between a stable machine and target sensitivity.

Have you used the 5.2×4.7 DD surface coil on the fors gold+ ??
What is it that you like so much about the 11 × 7" coil?