Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MAKRO RACER - PRODUCT PAGE

Now that good old Makro has given us what we need, lets all be sure to support them by purchasing the Racer or any other of their fine products. I will get the Pro pack for sure. Thanks Makro

woodchiphustler said:
Now that good old Makro has given us what we need, lets all be sure to support them by purchasing the Racer or any other of their fine products. I will get the Pro pack for sure. Thanks Makro

I will be doing my part with a pro pack also!:bouncy:

The manual and product brochure links are now available.

http://www.makrodetector.com/racer-metal-detector.html

Will there be a bracket ava. to keep the rear elevated so the earphone plug won't become contaminated. The MineLab Explorer had a major problem and the Racer appears to be the same configuration on the rear area. Thank you for all your information.

I am curious. I have owned a heck of a lot of detectors where the headphone plugs into the rear. Like nearly every White's made, my F75, CTX 3030, etc. I have never had this problem. Either my headphones are plugged in, or the opening covered or plugged. How is this an issue?

The already published accessory list does not show a stand. I suppose if it were a concern the best idea would be the leave the rubber cover on plus use the environmental cover, and employ the wireless headphone option.

my observation and concern is also is with the rear I have the ctx and cxplores and when working in mucky mud, mud puddles or around the surf they will enviably get dropped or rolls off your thigh when trying to keep it off the ground, even when plugged in the connection gets wet, usually not enough it hurt anything if you are quick, but always wondered why would put it there in potentially harms way, that is why I went with the ctx and wireless head phones or a water proof headset. on the racer the battery hatch is also there with the phone jack and doesn't look that well sealed this is probably not a concern for desert, parks or beach detectors, but here in the PNW where it rains and every thing is wet, or surf hunting having a little more protection is always better. dfly

As I have stated, virtually forever since I've been involved in this great outdoor recreation, I use what works, and I often own more than one detector and coil because ...

"There is no such thing as a 'perfect' metal detector."

I have owned and used hundreds of detectors, worked with prototypes for several manufacturers, and compare them in actual in-the-field applications, and put them against some of the better available detectors for my types of hunting. I know those models are some of the best because, logically, I have one or more in my personal detector arsenal. :thumbup:

When I find any detector that, for me, seems to be a better fit [size=small](physically so far as weight and balance)[/size] and provides as much or more versatile/functional performance that I get from one or more detectors in my personal tag-along arsenal [size=small](the models I generally keep in my vehicle for more frequent use)[/size], then I make an adjustment and move detectors into more of a 'collection' status for occasional use or loaners for fiends, or I might just sell or trade them off. The new detector has features and performance I want to use.

For decades we have seen a lot of changes in detector designs, especially in the more recent years as manufacturers have worked to bring us smaller control housings, and overall lighter and handier detectors in a comfortable package. I haven't found any detector maker who gets everything right because there's no way they can please us all. They do, however, generally make an effort to package a detector and features into something that is fitting for the bulk of the metal detecting hobbyists, and I have seen that with the Makro Racer design [size=small](all the posted photos and specs)[/size], and even appreciate what I enjoy in-hand with the Nokta FORS CoRe.

Detector 'design' needs to be something that will be attractive in looks, functional in performance, and have a feature layout that makes good sense. Some do, and some don't. The 'mass market' are the average or typical Coin Hunters who are really more likely to be 'fair weather' detecting enthusiasts so that eliminates a lot of concern about rain and snow, water and mud. Some detector models have a built-in stand for the detector, often associated with an arm-cup, and some just have little rubber 'feet' you stick on the bottom. In the past they sold the snap-on plastic detector stands.

Detector 'handling' is something I have always been alert to, to make sure I am not abusive to any detector I own. Most of mine look as if they are a showroom display or demo model. I use my right hand to hold and operate the detector or a pinpointer, and it stays clean. My left hand has the target recovery assignment and it uses the rounded-off screwdriver or Lesche Digger or pick as needed, and does the grubbing around to recover what the detector and & have found. My left hand gets dirty, not my detector arm-cup, control housing, display, knobs, switches, pushbuttons, etc., etc.

Out of habit I have been pampering my detectors and hunting that way since at least 1971. MY detector 'handling' is part of how I 'care' for my detectors. There are other things I do like not hunt in the rain, or hunt under dense tress to avoid the rain. I usually pinpoint and kneel down to recover a target and keep my detector either in my right hand, or I might set it down carefully .... on dry or damp ground but not in mud, on rocks, in water, etc.

In the case of the Makro Racer we see the headphone jack at the rear. I applaud them for that heads-up thinking, just like having a rear-positioned jack on the Nokta FORS CoRe instead of on the side. That's been one of my favorite design decisions that was used with most of the White's models I enjoy as well as the Teknetics T2 and Fisher F75. Models that have them on the front [size=small](facing)[/size] or side or back of a control housing, such as the Tesoro's, Teknetics Omega, Fisher F19 or White's MX5 and so many others, has been one of the more annoying detector designs I have seen. If the detector works satisfactorily for me, then I live with it, but it is a design move that irritates me. Seeing the Makro Racer design was especially satisfying.

As Steve stated earlier, I have used many, many detectors with a rear-located headphone jack and I have NEVER had any issue with water, snow, dirt, sand, grime or anything getting into the unit. Just use headphones or put in the plug to protect it. The Racer does have the internal speaker grill and battery access door in the bottom of the Racer and, to me, that would be of much more concern than the headphone jack location. For most detecting hobbyists, I am sure the detector will be used on grass the bulk of the time and gently set down on grass so there isn't much of a problem.

I live up here in the NorthWest USA, kind of, since I moved to much drier Eastern Oregon about 1½ years ago, but I still travel over to the much drearier and wetter Western Oregon where I have lived for most of the time since I moved to Portland in 1959. It doesn't rain all the time, and if it is raining, I do other things and wait for a break in the wet stuff. The Makro Racer does have a couple of environmental covers available, however, and while I usually do not use them, I have the covers on my Nokta due to the dense fog and freezing fog we have had, and I plan to use environmental covers on a Racer IF I should be hunting in any wet conditions or where I think I might need them.

If we do our part to 'handle' and 'care' for our detectors, we only have to be concerned about the 'design' quality, fit & finish, and durability. From what I've seen, the Nokta/Makro folks have it right, so I feel the Racer w/environmental cover is all anyone would need, if they are concerned about the design and headphone jack location.

My Tesoro's and Omega have the plastic stands on the arm-cups, and my White's have the little rubber feet. I think a Racer cover will be fine with me, especially since I very seldom set a detector down, but it will be worn during inclement weather.

Monte

I take reasonable care of my detectors, but I don't want to have to baby them ether, at the end of the day they are just tools and like tools some are built tougher and more durable than others. unlike most people I hunt in the rain, freezing cold, in mud,, surf and when and where most people wont, so my machine has to be able to go where I go and take it. the racer doesn't look like it will go every where but on nice days and dry environments it might be a good alternative for my wife, it is lighter than the ctx 3030 and looks to be pretty simple to run. can't wait for actual reports. dfly

I have run detectors no different than the Racer for weeks on end in rain in Alaska hunting gold in tailing piles. I never needed more than a simple rain cover just like the Racer has.

I do my best to avoid the rain, but I can't always. That's why I find shelter under some dense treed areas, and have used environmental covers on occasion. I didn't get into this sport in a warm and sunny climate, either, as I built my first metal/mineral locator from a kit when I lived in Portland, Oregon ... a known-to-be-wet chunk of the country. Used home-built until I went with a White's Ghost Towner BFO in the summer of '68 three years later.

Many detectors I have had, or we have had available to us, didn't have the most secure housings with rubber seals between housing box parts, or weather-proof speakers, like most quality built detectors today. I guess I should have clarified things a little better too, in that in my older age I have preferred to skip hunting in the rainier weather. I didn't find the impressive quantities of coins in those first 15 to 20 years by NOT hunting as I put in a lot of time, even if just a little drippy. Annual coin count totals that you just can't match today, even with the fanciest detector on the market because, well, they just aren't there .... they're gone [size=small](thanks to me and other like me who got an early start at having fun)[/size].

I am sure Steve's put in ample hunt time in wet weather, but we have both likely experienced about the same results when it comes to detector durability and day-long hunting without failure from the elements. It's never happened to me on account of the weather, except for the times when I tried doing a little winter hunting when temps were in the teens and twenties. It just got too cold for some detectors to still perform, but that wasn't the detector's fault.

It warmed all the way up to 40.5° today in heavy fog and a light drizzle. Been very foggy and drizzly for a few days, but wrapping up my final hunting time today with the Nokta before I finish my review, I didn't have any problem. Of course the environmental cover was on. I can't picture the Makro Racer being a model to fail. Not if it's built with the durable quality I find in the Nokta FORS CoRe.

Monte

I hope you guys don't think I an running down the machine. I think it's a great concept, just trying to see if it will fit my hunting style. I am interested in the fact it is a lot like the minelab and is why I am drawn to it over other detectors and looked at the CoRe to buy next, but like having the screen in front of me like the racer, so I will wait to see how they pan out. dfly

I have a question..does the stock coil come with coil cover and what about the small coil, does it have a coil cover also?

My experience with the ML Explorer was that with the rounded end the detector would roll over on it's side because the small rounded end offered no stability. SunRay actualluy made an "Explorer stand" it elevated and stabilized the detector and works great on both of my Explorers. This isn't a deal breaker,but that's the first thing that caught my eye.

I have a Pro Pack ordered. Looking forward to trying it out.

Is the ID filter on these machines a different version of a notch? Could someone explain?

I asked that question from Makro & didn't get an answer.-----It would be nice if coil covers did come with the coils in the Pro pack----seems like they would.
Finder82 said:
I have a question..does the stock coil come with coil cover and what about the small coil, does it have a coil cover also?