Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Man drowns while metal detecting

fastdraw

We just had a 40 year old man who was metal detecting in 10-ft of water with a weighted belt, drown in Lake Tahoe. He was on vacation with his wife young son and was from Fairfield Ohio.

Last edited:
We just had a 40 year old man who was metal detecting in 10-ft of water with a weighted belt, drown in Lake Tahoe. He was on vacation with his wife young son and was from Fairfield Ohio.
I'm wondering if it was the exceptionally cold water that took his life. The 10 foot depth is dangerous. Water Skiers that fall must be pulled out of the water within a couple of minutes, or the icy water can kill. I once saw a large buck standing upright in about 10 feet of water next to a small boat dock on the west side of Lake Tahoe. The deer looked very much alive, but had obviously drowned.

I'm wondering if it was the exceptionally cold water that took his life. The 10 foot depth is dangerous. Water Skiers that fall must be pulled out of the water within a couple of minutes, or the icy water can kill. I once saw a large buck standing upright in about 10 feet of water next to a small boat dock on the west side of Lake Tahoe. The deer looked very much alive, but had obviously drowned.
I would think at the current mid-60's temps, it wouldn't have been the cold. Plus, most divers use a wetsuit. I'm wondering if he had a medical issue that caused this...very sad.

Very sad. Just goes to show,, dangers are everywhere,, and can happen in about any activity. Ya'll be safe out there .
Not sure if its actually available ,, but for you underwater guys ,, might be worth looking into a life vest that will instantly inflate with a little air cartridge like a CO2 cartridge. It might get ya to the surface, and safety pretty quick ,, and practice the scenarios. Just a thought

There's a picture of him in the water on a news website. He's wearing a wet suit but no scuba gear. !0 feet is a bit too deep imo to free dive if you're metal detecting. I would have at least used a hookah rig at that depth or alternatively stick to a depth where you can stand up and breath if you get into trouble.
Very tragic !!!