Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Manticore

sgtm8411

So after owning a manticore for a few weeks I do like it but I find it disconcerting that pennies and dimes give me the same VDI reading. I remember when I had my minelab explorer SE I was always able to tell a penny from a dime. I wonder if I am doing something wrong here. Also, is there a designated room or thread here for the manticore??? I see most other detectors have their own chat thread. Am I just missing it?

Mine lab doesn't seem interested in sponsoring forums any more they are interested in blogs etc.... free stuff lol Therefore, the owner of findmall isn't giving space to new minelab products. sSo post on the Equinox chat room for now. Now for the other question, Different years on the Lincolns do vary quite a bit. I wish the different manufacturers Deus included put some more spread on the vdi readings in this area. Apparently the US coins aren't their emphasis, imagine that. But I digress JMO

So after owning a manticore for a few weeks I do like it but I find it disconcerting that pennies and dimes give me the same VDI reading. I remember when I had my minelab explorer SE I was always able to tell a penny from a dime. I wonder if I am doing something wrong here. Also, is there a designated room or thread here for the manticore??? I see most other detectors have their own chat thread. Am I just missing it?
So back in Feb. of 2018 I got and Equinox 800 and that was the first gripe I had. A penny and a dime ID'd to close together, same or over lapped. The Etrac or AtPro I had used never had a problem distinguishing the difference. Fast forward to the Dll, 900 Legend and so on. It seems that its a characteristic of SMF machines. I had hoped with the larger TID spread would help the issue with the Dll and 900/Manticore but it hasn't. A problem I run into along with that is most times a high conductor, penny/clad dime will ring in very high on the scale making you think you have a silver coin. I learned how to deal with it on the 800 and then the 900 but so far with the Legend a clad dime will hit 47-48 but still can't tell the difference between a wheat or memorial penny.
So to answer your question, no its not you, its SMF, and of course the conditions you are using it in. Keep in mind SMF has its advantages over SF machines but overlapping Id's seems to be one of the trade offs. Good luck with your Manticore.

Dirt has lot to do with VDI when you start talking about 1 digit differences. In my dirt on the etrac , CTX dimes often read lower than a copper 12-43 vs 12-44 for a copper , zincs much lower to 12-37 , on the legend dimes never go above 46 , coppers 44-46. Why you would care is beyond me , don't you dig them all since all could be a nice silver ring or other good high conducting target? If you are choosing to leave coppers in the ground , you are leaving good targets as well.

Dirt has lot to do with VDI when you start talking about 1 digit differences. In my dirt on the etrac , CTX dimes often read lower than a copper 12-43 vs 12-44 for a copper , zincs much lower to 12-37 , on the legend dimes never go above 46 , coppers 44-46. Why you would care is beyond me , don't you dig them all since all could be a nice silver ring or other good high conducting target? If you are choosing to leave coppers in the ground , you are leaving good targets as well.
Absolutely, there are way too many things that could skew a target ID, many times just how it’s sitting is enough. Digging a RANGE will certainly be more productive, especially when going past 5-6” deep.

Manufacturers have reduced the number of target ID segments over the last few years. The days of telling a clad dime from a silver one are all but over. I guess not enough users felt that target ID was much of a thing a few years ago. I used it a lot and it is even more important to me now than when I was younger. I think the average target ID segment now, even of the top models, is 30 to 60. The E-Trac has 1500 just to give you an idea of how they have "compressed" TID.

Last edited:
So back in Feb. of 2018 I got and Equinox 800 and that was the first gripe I had. A penny and a dime ID'd to close together, same or over lapped. The Etrac or AtPro I had used never had a problem distinguishing the difference. Fast forward to the Dll, 900 Legend and so on. It seems that its a characteristic of SMF machines. I had hoped with the larger TID spread would help the issue with the Dll and 900/Manticore but it hasn't. A problem I run into along with that is most times a high conductor, penny/clad dime will ring in very high on the scale making you think you have a silver coin. I learned how to deal with it on the 800 and then the 900 but so far with the Legend a clad dime will hit 47-48 but still can't tell the difference between a wheat or memorial penny.
So to answer your question, no its not you, its SMF, and of course the conditions you are using it in. Keep in mind SMF has its advantages over SF machines but overlapping Id's seems to be one of the trade offs. Good luck with your Manticore.
I guess I can make the frequency adjustment a soft key and next time im out do a quick switch from multi frequency to a single high frequency and see if I get better Vd
I am 100% disabled from the military and have a really bad back I love detecting more than anything but it causes me lots of pain with every target I dig. When I was younger I dug every single beep that wasn’t iron. Now I really have to cherry pick targets to dig because I can only dig so many before the pain overwhelms me. Old age sucks

I may not have noticed with the nox when I owned it, but with other multi freq. machines Manticore and Legend included is I AM MISSING TARGETS. just last week I could physically see a penny on the ground, but the Manticore did not. This has happened also with the Legend, and Apex. Makes me wonder how many good targets I am missing. If I remember correctly the last target missed with the legend was a nickel, it was near a couple of buried pennies, and would not pick it up until I dug the pennies.Has anyone else notices this? Also just happened with a Mexican peso, and I was in all metal mode, saw the peso, but the detector did not (Manticore)