Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Maps Availability??????

tomtowns

:confused: I'm wondering if anybody knows it there is a way or source for downloading USGS topo maps to a unit...the map units I've used in the past just don't give enough detail...Like old mine, town & "camp" sites of the old timers....Tom

Not that I know of Tom. When a GPS unit displays a map it isn't like a computer where you just upload the map on a screen, it works differently. I assume if your wanting USGS quad maps your hunting off the main roads a bit. But if not you can by basic gps recievers that will plug into the usb port on a laptop. So when your driving you can use a program and the gps to see where you are, and then you could obviously be viewing quad maps on your computer as you drive, but I doubt this helps. Sorry.

HH

Eric

Typical mapping GPS receivers can be loaded only with maps that are made specifically for the brand and type of receiver.
Garmin has some areas of USA covered with high detail topo maps that are almost the same as USGS topo quads.
For Canada, I sell, high detail topo maps of Quebec and Ontario that can be loaded into Garmin mapping units. These maps are based on provincial, 1:20.000 and 1:10.000 scale topo maps.

There are also receivers that are not so "typical". They are a combination of a PDA (Palm or WinCE)and a GPS receiver. Because these can run various software, you can get a software that will allow use of virtually any map. In theory, you could even scan, calibrate, load into the unit and use a map that was drawn on a napkin.
I use Garmin iQue and PathAway software for that. Works so well that I sell that software as well.

HTH

Thanks for the input...yes it would make finding (sites) much easier. If one of the major players out there would make maps with the USGS data...1:20,000 I know they would be a HUGE success...I lack the technical expertise but can't for the life of me understand why it hasn't been done....I would think that it would be rather easy...Wish I had the finances & technical expertise to pursue such an endeavor... I just recently sold a Lowrance globemap 2000 with c-map reader...It actually showed the berths for small craft in the berkley marina on the display & was extreemly accurate...I finally found an old mine site this last weekend that I had been looking for a couple times before...It is alongside a "TRAIL" that has long since been reclaimed by mother nature but still shows on the map...the site was built back in late 1800's & looks to be pretty much intact or un-tact as the old cabin has collapsed as well as a couple other smaller structures & outhouse...It looks as though the "chicken" ??? pen is still standing though...I plan on doing some sampling of gravels in the old diggings & may end up fileing a placer claim there..but one thing is certain...I am gonna spend the time cleaning the old iron scattered about...It's a site that will keep me occupied for quite a while...Tom

I also have been racking my brains and resources trying to find what you are looking for also : tomtowns . As it was said , the gps units are designed by the different companies who make them to work with the software they develop and sell. I have a copy of Maptech which is a very good (for me any way) topo map. It shows some mines and caves along with some gravel pits my area that I thought were there but not sure where. I have been trying to get the maps into different gps units with no luck. The closet thing I can do is find the coordinates on the topo map then search and find the matching coordinates on the gps , then mark a waypoint to which I can go to on a trail. I have found a gps unit or several in fact of different varieties , made by Bushnell which from what the descriptions say will download satellite images and use them for base maps. The units look good but on the pricey side

To date , I am using a Lowrance XOG it is a crossover type GPS system much like a TOMTOM 3rd only this one has a micro SD slot. From the internet at www.mapselect.com I can put in a GPS coordinate or search a particular area I am interested in,in either TOPO view or Satellite view. Then takeing USGS quads cut the map and for the most part download that area for 5 $ then upload it to my Lowrance . This makes it very convienent and the map download can be saved to the computer , put on and taken off the SD card . Once purchased the maps are to keep.
Another step I found was a friend of mine gave me a cd set of Topo's of the south USA . Called Terrain Navigator. I think they are made for the Garmins,But they are very detailed to the USGS maps in 1/24,000 scale. So detailed in fact they show gravel pits , mining sites forests , BLM properties etc., even to the point of showing building structure such as houses (chicken houses ) in my area plus historic sites . I then got a copy of MapCreate7 which will make and cut maps for the Lowrance. I use the Terrain Navigator to find the GPS location as to Long, and Lat. put a mark on the map then go to the Mapcreate7 software find that GPS mark and make another mark on that software as a waypoint then I can upload the map of any size to my Lowrance and have a custom map. Its a little inconvienent I agree but when done I have a map on the Lowrance which is comparable to a paper map from the USGS dept and with turn by turn directions from any where to that waypoint .