Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Massachusetts's MDing laws, help.

Lubelaczek

I am about to travel to unknown part of Massachusetts. It is still in planning but I will have to go where my boss will send me. Question is: what are a local laws that I should be aware of in metal detecting? Can anyone from that area give me a hints and warnings about "can do" and "must not do". What about permit? How I can get it, being still on Long Island, so when I get there to be ready just press the power button and "the let the beeps go on". Is it even possible? What areas of Massachusetts are especially interesting. Any data/input will be appreciated. Thx.

The best LAW is always ask.
Don't assume you can walk into any park and start detecting.
I called town halls and they usually say go for it.

Always ask first.

This is taken from the Mass , gov site and is in the CMR's or code of Massachusetts regulations.

304 CMR: DIVISION OF FORESTS AND PARKS
12.11: continued
(3) No person shall use or offer for use metal detectors on Department property except at the
discretion of the Area Supervisor on designated swimming beaches and designated campsites.

I work for the Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) and I know of some parks that may discourage MDing due to the fact the hobby is misunderstood. I think the park employees have this pick and shovel mentality that we'll come in and tear up the place. Most employees , supervisors and park rangers have no clue as to the CMR's regarding metal detectors.
If you are planing to hunt state parks or beaches print out a copy of the CMR and ask for the supervisor on duty. Show him or her the CMR and say that according to this I need your permission to come in and remove the pop tops, pull tabs, screw caps and other trash I find with my metal detector while leaving no evidence that I was ever here.
If you come to my park I'll tell you to go have fun and might even tell you the oldest part of the park that might produce some silver. On second thought ...

I would research the laws yourself and try to stay away from the asking rule. I would only ask if I could not find a solid answer, public record, or law online. A lot of times people such as county clerks, law enforcement, and maintenance personnel will tell you no, because it sounds like there should be a law against it or they do not want you digging holes in the park. The last post hit the nail on the head. The pick and shovel image, huge holes, etc. I had a police officer approach me one afternoon while detecting and he was angry. He asked me what right I had digging holes all over the park.( Very dramatic and over the top) I told him I was sorry that I made him upset and asked if he would give me the chance to demonstrate the procedure of the retrieval of coins? I told him he would understand and see there was not any damage done to the park. The police officer said he was not interested. He said digging holes in the park was destruction of public property. I proceeded to tell him,( using his terms :bouncy: ) that I had been digging in the park for over an hour and did not see any such damage. He looked all around the area and smiled with a confused look on his face. His response was, Did you fill the holes in? How come there is not piles of soil laying on the grass? He could not tell where I pulled anything from the ground. I had his interests and we retrieved a couple of coins together and he said if your holes look like this when you are done, just forget you ever saw me and enjoy the rest of your day. I always seek permission for all private property but, If its public property, I research the laws myself. If there is not any laws why walk into city hall and bring to their attention that there may be a need for metal detecting laws? After all you were asking if you could metal detect so, there must be a need for guidelines or laws. I have seen this happen. An entire town banned from metal detecting because of one question. in city hall. Just my opinion and experience.

Xmarks