Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Matron early copper penny

dan b

I'm not real familiar with old US coins, but today I dug what Google tells me is a Matron early copper penny minted from 1816 to 1839. The date is worn, so I don't know the exact date. Is this considered a rare find? Found it in Canada, so that's kind of interesting.

Pictures would be great, we'd love to see her!

That would be a Coronet Large Cent! Depends what shape it's in as to the value, sounds like it's pretty toasted. To me it's very rare, like non-existent . . . yet! Sounds like an awesome find though! Congrats!!! That is one thing on my bucket list! I still have to break the 1860 mark for U.S. coins! Maybe I need to come up to Canada!

Congrats on the find..!Wish we could have seen your face when u found that..:detecting:..Im no coin expert so I turn to the folks here most times to help me figure out my finds..Some pics would be helpful if u have the ability to upload..HH

I'll get a picture up, but it's not pretty. Gotta figure out how to shrink the picture on my phone.

Looks pretty good! Considering how long it's been lost! Good save!!!

Congrats on finding the Large Cent !

That looks to be in about the same shape as the one I found a couple years ago. Not common but not too rare either. It's still cool to find a coin that pushing 200 years old. Congrats.

Large cents ring loud for me. Try to examine the coin with magnification. There may be traced of date or mint characteristics to find. Peace

I checked very closely. I couldn't make out the date at all.

This rang loud for me too. On my ATPro it was a solid high tone, and locked at 84-85. It was only 6 or 7 inches down.

Thanks. I've pulled 4 silver coins from that location in the last 2 weeks. Unfortunately, the weather has taken a turn for the worse and it's feeling quite winterish. Might have to wait until spring now.

The trick for extracting coin details on very worn coins is to position a light so that it shines at the edge of the coin casting shadows behind faint coin details on the face. The late 1700's US large cents into very early 1800's are rare. Prior to that US Colonials e.g. large cents minted by each state before a US mint was established. Mass, NY, NJ, etc. A 1700's US chain cent is still on my want to dig list.

1793-Chain-Cent.jpg

Congrats on the large cent!