Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Maybe the Coolest Find Yet

jeffc

This is a follow-up to the fantastic multi-day hunt that yielded nearly 200 coins, six rings, and the usual suspects. I am not sure what this is. I am assuming it is a coin. It rings up as copper and the only markings are what can be seen in the photos. Perhaps someone can chime in. As you can see, it is very encrusted. I am not sure what, if anything, can be done to remove it. We have had one documented shipwreck in the area. Wouldn't it be nice...?

I'd do the alternating freezing and thawing first. Meanwhile, I'm going with old coin- Congrats!

I am somewhat familiar with the method. Could this be done as a project; or, does it require a special setup?

Interesting find and I'm hoping it is an old one but I wouldn't "experiment" with it using any method of cleaning in fear that more damage then good would be done. I would suggest further research on artifact/old coin cleaning processes done by "professionals" and get in touch with some that have found treasure coast coins and how they proceeded with cleaning their finds....don't screw up a potential find of a lifetime!
Good luck and keep us up to date with what you find out about it.....

Cliff

Perhaps it is not the coolest find. Did some light cleaning and discovered four fateful letters...COPY.

It was fun while it lasted. Thanks to all those that chimed in.

ahhhh crap!! i was going to say dont get your hopes up. too bad and sooooo disappointing!

chuck.

One of my hunting buddies from the same area had the same thing happen last summer. And yes, I agree it was an act of sabotage...lol.

Had a similar find earlier this year. I was also excited as you just don't see these very often at Daytona. It does not say copy on it, but three different knowledegable people told me it was a replica. It is the size of a nickel and it was just too round. One of the "experts" pointed out that the bezel was acutally part of the coin. Still, it was an exciting find.

Maybe I will find the real McCoy some day. Not this weekend though. Have to send the CTX in for repair...fortunately, I have a few backup units.

Thanks, S. Today was a rotten one. My CTX is on the way back for repair. My CZ headset gave out and my HH Pulse has a cracked coil. Suffice to say, no detecting today...almost picked up an Excal locally just to go out.

You know what they say Jeff, trouble comes in threes. Hope things improve for you. You up in the Jax area? Saw a post you made about Amelia Island. My wife and I were up in Fernandina a few weeks back, but I did not get a chance to do any MD'ing. How is the detecting around Amelia/Fernandina area? I've been at St. Augustine Beach a few times, but not much luck there. Better luck in the Daytona area although I have not found anything interesting for a few months now.

Amelia Island is hit and miss. There are a few locals who detect the area regularly. Jax Beach is the same...heavily detected too.

Thanks for the info. Daytona is heavily detected too, but I still manage to find coins and the occasional ring. There has been a series of high tides recently and that always seems to improve the finds. Keep on swingin'.