Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Me and My Gear...Fresh Water Only.

grumpyolman

I post here often so thought maybe somebody would like to place the face and the equipment together. I need to find about 10 Rolexes to pay for all these toys. jim

It must take you all day and half the night to use all those toys. However I would'nt mind having that set up too! Looks real nice.

Wish I lived close to all the nice folks on here so we really could get together and 'hang' rather than visiting long distance via the forum. I ain't really too grumpy. I am old. I teach SAR folks about navigation in the field and I run a quiet tight classroom. When somebody intereferes with somebody elses right to learn, I let em know about it. So...the folks gave me the tag Grumpyolman. It fit so well I changed my HAM radio call from N7HEG to K7GOM. I didn't tell anyone about it until I used the call during training. They thought it was a joke until I showed them the license. Life's fun if you let it be and don't take yourself too seriously. Nice to hear your comments about my toy collection. I don't think I could buy a landing light for a Lear if I sold all my stuff at 200% over cost. jim

Want to visit Maryland..just bring the gear, and the boat... Very Nice setup......joe

:surprised: <- lost for words, very nice

I think you need one more coil. JK Nice setup.
HH
Scott

WOW! I've heard of some people going overboard (no pun intended) with their hobby, but man you are the winner. You are all set for any detecting occasion or even any type of disaster Mother Nature may send your way.

Happy Hunting and I hope you find all those Rolex's!!!

If you look closely on the pictures you'll see two Tiger Sharks. One's mounted as a hip mount with the coil on the straight shaft and the other is rigged for diving and is on the gunwale of the boat. I have two super scoops. One is the Diamondhead and the other is made by the Ukranian gentleman. I also have a White's dual field, also adapted for hip mount, and I use it with the stock shaft or just a portion of the upper shaft when diving. Got that for some of the super hunted out beaches, underwater, to maybe give me a little more depth and hear something that's old and deep that somebody not using the PI might have missed. I went with the DC hookah after owning an Airline as the noise of the gas engine, even though a Honda, did make me a nuisance when working in an area with any kind of population. With the DC unit, although the batteries make it heavy as heck (that's why it's on that super wagon), I wouldn't bother people with the noise if I ran it right next to their picnic area. I wouldn't do that but that gives one the idea of how quiet it is. Have two 6 volt golf cart batteries connected in series and they run that unit with two divers about 3 hours. I rarely work water that's deeper than where I can stand up and look around if I want. If you can lay on the bottom and see what you are doing it makes recovery of items lots faster. I like wading also, but sometimes, in the rock and muck I find in lakes, it gets pretty tough trying to get down through that material to find a target.
With all the competition there is to hunt in the few lakes around here, I need every technological/equipment advantage I can create for myself. The Western part of Washington rarely sees the hot of summer like the rest of the US so there isn't much swim traffic in the water. Not like the Gulf Coast and Florida. Rarely is it ever too hot to hunt on the West Side. A lot of the Eastern Side of the state, East of the Cascade Mountains, gets really hot and is definitely desert area. But the major population is on the West side. You gotta have both. People and hot if you want lots of re-seeding of lost goodies.
Don't mean to gloat but I did not show my dry-suit or my wet suit. The dry-suit, with thermal undies made for diving, is really nice in the cold. I can dive in the middle of winter just as comfortably as I can in the middle of summer. One advantage is that rarely does it get so cold that the lakes freeze. It does happen in Eastern Washington more often, but I can count the number of times on one hand that it got cold enough and stayed that way long enough that we could consider it safe to ice skate on the lakes. Hope this has been fun and interesting. Thanks for all the comments. If you ever get to the Portland/Tacoma area, give me a shout. I'd be happy to take you to places where I don't find stuff and share the experience. Our hunting is nothing like the folks find in the warm ocean beaches. You will die from hypothermia in our ocean water if you dont' have a survival suit on. Some say in 15' and some will give you 30'. It's a serious issue with offshore fishing and crabbing folks. Thank God BP hasn't been around here yet. Although a drunk crew managed to put the Exxon Valdez up on the rocks on some pristine territory and in this area so we can only claim the 2nd worse spill in the US. That's where it's not good to be #1. If I could have one wish granted I don't know if I would ask for all disease to be eliminated or that a permanent long term energy solution would be available totally eliminating need for fossil fuels. jim

As far as I have been able to learn, 'bonging' and diving are a deadly combination. Might really screw up your ability to concentrate if you were on land, too. jim

You know as well as I do that if you did infact use all materials there to make an uber bong no diving would take place. :p I don't even smoke anymore.

grumpyolman said:
As far as I have been able to learn, 'bonging' and diving are a deadly combination. Might really screw up your ability to concentrate if you were on land, too. jim