Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Mega Coin Spill...

Blind Squirrel

Howdy--

My detecting buddy Kenneth and I have been having a Race to 10 Silver Coins for the last 4 or 5 years. When one of us hits the magic 10 we start over. Going into the hunt today, Kenneth was up on me 1-0. After today's hunt we called it a draw! We both simply lost count - I guess that it's old age hahah.

I knew that we were in a good vacant lot when I spotted a 1955 nickle on top of the ground. A few feet from that nickle the fun began.Kenneth yelled out to me: Got a silver dime - 2-0! A couple minutes later he said: " I think I've got another one". He brought it over to me and I confirmed that it was indeed a silver dime...3-0. I joked that I'm going to have to dig a few halves just to catch up. Well, I didn't dig a half but my next signal was a 1939-D Washington. When I went over the hole, I still got a signal, not a good signal but a signal none the less. It turned out to be 3 wheat-cents and a nickel. I accept --31 to +93 and I was in the"if it beeps dig" mode regardless of VDI's. To make a long story short, that hole just got bigger and bigger, about 6 feet by 6 feet. The coins were not deep. The deepest was about 4". I ended up digging 81 Wheat cents including my first 1943 Steel cent, 5 Buffalo nickles (3 with dates), 3 Silver Jefferson's, 6 silver Roosevelt's, 1 merc and 3 silver Washingtons. Interestingly, some of the nickles bounced from negative 6 to positive 14 and some signals bounced into the 40's and upon recovery I found wheat-cents AND nickles. I also dug 8 Jeffersons (not in the scan) from 1946-1957 and a few other goodies. Kenneth dug a total of 10 silver coins including 4 mercs and 2 silver quarters. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Wow, what a great hunt and location BS, congratulations.....:clapping:

Super find......... I don't know if that is a coin spill or a cache? Either way you found it. Congrats.

Howdy--

Here are the rest of the coins that were in that spill or cache: 80 wheat cents, 8 nickles an unfired .38 Special wadcutter and 3 marbles that I may have lost back in '68 hahaha. Best of luck and ...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Thanks Larry. There are more coins there. We only stopped digging because we were running out of daylight and Kenneth who is pushing 82 years young and still recovering from a knee replacement was getting tired. To paraphrase Arnold Schwarzenegger : "We will be back!" Best of luck and ...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Thanks. I think that you are right DocBars. While I was digging it, I thought that this is one heck of a spill. Over the years, I've dug spills with10-15 coins but 100+ coins? It's a cache. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

That is a great location - congrats to you and your hunting partner.

I wonder what the history of the area was? Maybe there was a ticket booth to a fair at one time or some other such thing going on there, where many coins were lost in the same spot over the years - or maybe a house stood there and when it got demo-ed the cache of coins got scattered. Either way you have rescued the coins from being lost.

Just imaging what was there and the rewards of finding something from the past is what makes me like this hobby.

Thanks Jimmy. I know what you mean. I pulled quite a few coins out of one expanding hole. The thing is, I don't think that I got them all out! We just ran out of daylight. Also, I was using the 5.3 coil and I think that the 4x6 will help me get the rest. About 10 or 12 years ago, using the DFX, I had a similar find - over 100 coins in one small area, but they were all memorials. I remembered how the DFX acted - very poor vdi's and just a "pop" for an audio response. It never hurts to dig those "weird signals" .

I hope your shoulder heals fast!

Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Thanks Scott. I appreciate your comments. I think the same way about detecting. I'll gladly travel 120 miles one way to detect on an historic Texas trail that was blazed in 1849 to accommodate people traveling to the gold fields of California. I've rescued quite a few relics and a few coins but the real thrill is just being there where history was being made. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Good hunting Blind Squirrel!!! and Kenneth too!! Don't forget your newest hunting buddy, I like to find and rescue coins and relics too. Just remember that I have a place to shoot guns now too.

Thanks Shafer44. Even a Blind Squirrel gets an acorn every now and then! I'm working on scheduling a trip to our relic site. That will give you the chance to dig a good relic or perhaps rescue a 19th century coin! I'll keep you posted. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel