Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Memorial Day Hunt

Not much of a story to go with today's hunt, but here goes. I've been eyeballing a vacant property and through the neighbor-grape-vine I was able to locate the owner, meet face-to-face and get permission. Very nice gentlemen who recently purchased the property for his daughter--who hasn't moved in yet.

Anyway, it was a nice day with just enough of a wind to keep the gnats at bay. I started off in 12K full tones, reactivity 2, silencer -1, sens 89, TX-1, Disc 6, notching from 7 to 35 (11 inch coil). My first signal was a clear whisper...meaning it wasn't difficult to hear the whisper from any angle. 4K confirmed a non-ferrous, coin sounding target. In 12K I remember the target being between the mid to high 80s. I dug 7 inches to find a nice looking 1903 IHP. Stood up and swept over the hole again and heard a similar tone....found another 1907 IHP close by...apparently it was in range of my Lesche when I was going after the first IHP. I decided to switch to reactivity 1 for a little extra oomph on anything deeper than those two pennies. That was it for IHPs for the day, but finding those this morning as my first two targets had me excited for the day's possibilities.

After digging the IHPs, I started chasing every iffy signal that I was presented with...which resulted in a lot of digging, but no keepers. Sometimes I get a little paranoid I'm going to miss something which results with me trying to make a bad signal good. In trashy parks you have to do this sometimes, but more often than not, private property doesn't pose the same challenges. It wasn't long before I had a great half dollar signal under the coil. I was smirking to myself as I knelt down to dig, greedily hoping for another half dollar (by some miracle I've found several this year). Karma stepped in though, to reveal a very nice large, old screwcap still attached to the neck of the liquor bottle--so into the trash pouch it went. Time to take a water break.

Back where I left off, I spent a few more minutes moving along the sidewalk heading for an intersecting sidewalk where I hoped for a better signal to dig. I cleared my head of the real iffy targets and started concentrating on more solid targets; still with reactivity 1 in the program. After a few minutes I got a great clad quarter signal, but it was a tad different. In 12K/4K clad quarters rarely move beyond 93/84 for me...especially the shallow quarters. This one jumped occasionally to 94/85 which had me hopeful, but it was shallow at 4 inches. Still, it was near the front door sidewalk and the signal did sound a little better than clad....when I dug down I didn't see silver so I began to think clad.....I found a quarter-sized dark disc in a fistful of dirt with my pinpointer and it was hard-coated with black dirt, but there was enough shine to the edges to make me take a closer look. Sure enough it was silver, but no way could I identify it. Off to my car for a quick rinse and the details revealed a 1893 barber quarter! Back in business! I spent a few more minutes on that section of the property and a nice shallow 91/81 sounded off...turned out to be a rosie! I started thinking I could switch back to reactivity 2, but those IHPs kept me at 1.

Of course, now I was back to digging every iffy signal again, but lunch cleared my thinking and I was back on track. I had dug a couple of wheats earlier and again I'd find one here and there. Soon I dug two back to back signals that were clear silver dimes 91/80-81. They both turned out to be rosies and shallow at 4-5 inches each, within two feet of each other. About 3 sidewalk cracks later, another one popped up! I was feeling good about the day; my time was running out and I only had 3 long passes left to go, so I kept swinging and listening. I dug a few clad dimes and pennies in this area, so I wasn't very hopeful for any more silver. But I kept the focus anyway and sure enough a nice clear and shallow silver signal sounded off. Between 12K and 4K the numbers only bounced a little from multiple directions: 93/86. This target in 4K mostly hit 86, but I like seeing 87 in 4K...it makes me start a little lottery in my head...is it a Washington? I hope not...maybe an SLQ? Doubt it. Another Barber??? No way; never found two in a day...and this line of thinking continued until I brought up the no-date SLQ, a very welcome surprise! I wonder how the wear affected the VDI; maybe brought the VDI down by one point? Dunno.

Anyway, other than a couple of wheats, nothing of note ended up in my pocket so I loaded up my gear and headed off to talk with the property owner....minutes later, his wife told me he was napping, so I rattled off my list of finds to her for a relay to him later. He had been fascinated by what I was doing and asked that I tell him what I had found. Anyway, another successful hunt is in the books!

Great story Beep! There's nothing quite like a deep, high toned hit in Full tones with this detector! Occasionally a thin silver dime or quarter will indicate 1-2 points lower, but for the most part if it's silver there's a little something extra in the audio around the edges...your Indians are in great shape too! :thumbup:

Thanks for the TX = 1 suggestion I've updated some programs with it except 4 khz, and a couple extra hours on battery life helps too!

Congrats on a GREAT bunch of finds ! :beers: