Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Message for "Diggers"

Fishfinder

The show is OK but please settle down a little. Why must people on these detecting shows act like fools it paints an ugly picture for all relic hunters. Also stop trying to change the terminology for detecting. Juice and Roundness are terrible. Detecting already has it's own terminology please leave it be.

I love the show, their enthusiasm is sincere, and they are having fun with the hobby. Way to go Diggers!

I like the show as well. It's funny, educational, and upbeat. They give a little history lesson about the area and era they are detecting. Their finds are reviewed by an archeologist and donated to museums, etc.

Their theatrics are funny and make the show interesting IMHO.

The show is trash, hurting the hobby / sport / past time, that would be my humble opinion. I've emailed Nat Geo about it but have not heard anything back, no surprise there! Gonna continue to voice my displeasure to the Garrett Company, as a sponsor of it. Love their product, hate their inolvement in a show like this.

I haven't seen them do anything that is "hurting the hobby". Unless having fun and acting silly while detecting is harmful in some way? Or perhaps using a different vocabulary hurts the hobby?

It does'nt reflect the way I detect but I find the show entertaining and informative. I'll keep watching as long as they continue to produce new episodes.

OMG these guys are 10 year olds in 45 year old bodys it wouldn't be so bad if there was a little more muturity involved and simple terminology would go long way

LOL I can not believe how many people complain about this show. It is 10x better that AMERICAN DIGGER show, as it has no drama, and it is just fun. I guess you are not allowed to get excited when you find something. Ridiculous. I hope the show runs for 10 years.

Nolanation, I couldn't agree more. To quote Batman's Joker, "Why so serious?". I just don't get all the criticism of two guys having a good time while detecting.:shrug:

My opinion is to loosen up and have some fun out there. It doesn't have to be a seriously stodgy activity.

The only downside of the show for me is that, after watching the show, now my wife thinks I am having way too much fun when I go out detecting.:detecting:

wasp said:
I like the show as well. It's funny, educational, and upbeat. They give a little history lesson about the area and era they are detecting. Their finds are reviewed by an archeologist and donated to museums, etc.

Their theatrics are funny and make the show interesting IMHO.

NO. It is not funny, it is absolutely not educational. and upbeat? 'for idiots i guess' :confused:. they give no history, my thoughts :puke:

yowow#1, have you actually watched the show?

Idiots? Really??? Kinda harsh name calling attack dont you think? Just because you don't care for something doesn't mean someone who likes it is an idiot.

This is an example of what I don't get.....the negative passion generated in some people from two guys acting goofy and having fun with their detecting.....on a cable TV show!

Have some fun out there and try not to lose your sense of humor.

Happy Hunting!

WOW!! I too am a bit surprised at the negativity voiced here. I LOVE the show, I love watching guys that are passionate about something not be ashamed to show that, they look like they genuinely get a rush by what they find. Yes they are a bit on the silly side sometimes, but its all good, clean fun between friends that share the love of "finding". Someone said they tell no history, WHAT??? Everywhere they go they tell about the history of the area and get more history from the local historians. I think you are confusing it with that other show, with that pushy, grossly overweight former wrestler. They are in it strictly for the $$$, but, they make no pretense about that. My 10 year old asks to watch Diggers every week now and has her wanting to go out with me on my hunts, that's a positive in my book. As for their "terminology", they have been doing this longer than a lot of us I'm guessin and I don't think there is a rulebook that dictates what we can say and cant say while we're huntin. LOL. I love their passion, silly or not. I also REALLY like that they have already gotten permission to hunt these places BEFORE they show up. Enjoyable show, I like it.

Idiots? Really??? all the way to the bank!!! and they have fun too, go diggers!!!

wasp said:
yowow#1, have you actually watched the show?

Idiots? Really??? Kinda harsh name calling attack dont you think? Just because you don't care for something doesn't mean someone who likes it is an idiot.

This is an example of what I don't get.....the negative passion generated in some people from two guys acting goofy and having fun with their detecting.....on a cable TV show!

Have some fun out there and try not to lose your sense of humor.

Happy Hunting![/quote

have i actually watched the show?

Yes, i have actually puked my way through it.

Aw, come on now.

The show isn't that bad. At least you got through it and that's a good start!:thumbup:

Good luck and Happy Hunting!

wasp said:
I haven't seen them do anything that is "hurting the hobby". Unless having fun and acting silly while detecting is harmful in some way? Or perhaps using a different vocabulary hurts the hobby?

If you want to know what kind of harm this show might already be doing for some...,

GeorgeinSC said:
Their silly antics and silly language make me want to stick my number 11 up their behind so far that we would have to go to the operating room to have it removed. Their STUPID antics cost me the opportunity to detect an area (one acre) where civil war (confederate) soldiers camped.

GeorgeinSC said:
A Gentlemans wife gave me permission to detect their one acre lot. She said that they had information that Rebels Soldiers camped on their property during the "Recent Unrest". The Gentleman came out and looked at me and asked "Do you act like those fools on Television" I reassured him that I did not act like that and did not condone anyone acting like that. I told him that I would give his property the utmost respect and that after the next rain he would not be able to see where I had lifted sod to retrieve an item. He thought for about five seconds and said " I Don't Think I want you detecting on my property". Thanks Diggers.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?85,1847480,1848543#msg-1848543

And I fully expected this type of thing, and expect to probably hear more such stories in the future.

Yea, sure, American Diggers being confrontational is bad for the hobby, but so is running around without showing the subdued respect that should be shown to people and their property, or even when hunting public sites.

The "slang" doesn't help us look any more sane either in this hobby of ours. Enough people already think that this hobby and the people in it are a little "out there". Just look at the odd terminology used among circles involved in dungeons and dragons type games. Yea, sure...that's who you want at your next party. :biggrin:

Even though I'm into detecting, if a couple of guys started acting that way on my own land I'd kick them out, and I wouldn't want to take them along to my sites where "acting up" may blow my spots for me.

There is a difference between getting excited about a great find, and letting your emotions run so wild that others in private OR public venues might not take too kindly to that kind of behaviour.

On a public site for instance, what better way to draw attention to yourself and inspire the general public to call the cops telling them somebody is acting strangely. Often when cops show up, even if you have every right to be there, they end up kicking you out just to pacify the person who called. They don't want to get another call an hour later and then have to explain to their supervisor why they didn't pour cold water on the situation. The person who took the initiative to call almost always wins in situations, and ones not even related to metal detecting too.

On a brighter note, there should be plenty of used detectors on the market soon. Not only because people will find that it's hard work and many days you go home having been skunked, but also because they probably were expecting some kind of "rush beyond belief" when they find something to put an extra skip in their step. :biggrin:

We all get excited in this hobby, but there's a point of self restraint in private or public venues that should be shown. I compare running around screaming or such to those people who talk on cell phones loudly in elevators or while waiting in line at a store, or laugh about trivial shallow things in the midst of a funeral. Just isn't very "appropriate" IMO.

And think about this...Even if many of us on these forums, who can understand the enthusiasm in some ways due to our addiction to this hobby, are having "issues" with things, then imagine how the general public not indoctrinated into our addiction might view these things? Think long and hard on that one and I think you'll see where real potential for damage to access in this hobby might be done...

Its a show people, not a documentary. the producers chose KG and RM because they have been making DVD's for years and they are just as crazy as the show is. Nobody but some of you want to se a boring educational show on how to dig a proper hole or how not to get excited when you find something. This is what the people want and sorry to say the "professional" :rolleyes: detectorist is a miniscule percent of who is watching the show. Its here to stay boys and I would think that most of you would be prepared to start helping those that take enough interest to visit this forum and help them out, but alas I forgot that this hobby is a secret. I really find it hard to believe that someone wanted to say no because of the show and if they did then im sure they would have found some other reason to say no. Happy hunting to all and hope that things stay quiet and dull in this great hobby.

Critterhunter said:
wasp said:

If you want to know what kind of harm this show might already be doing for some...,

GeorgeinSC said:
Their silly antics and silly language make me want to stick my number 11 up their behind so far that we would have to go to the operating room to have it removed. Their STUPID antics cost me the opportunity to detect an area (one acre) where civil war (confederate) soldiers camped.

GeorgeinSC said:
A Gentlemans wife gave me permission to detect their one acre lot. She said that they had information that Rebels Soldiers camped on their property during the "Recent Unrest". The Gentleman came out and looked at me and asked "Do you act like those fools on Television" I reassured him that I did not act like that and did not condone anyone acting like that. I told him that I would give his property the utmost respect and that after the next rain he would not be able to see where I had lifted sod to retrieve an item. He thought for about five seconds and said " I Don't Think I want you detecting on my property". Thanks Diggers.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?85,1847480,1848543#msg-1848543

And I fully expected this type of thing, and expect to probably hear more such stories in the future.

Yea, sure, American Diggers being confrontational is bad for the hobby, but so is running around without showing the subdued respect that should be shown to people and their property, or even when hunting public sites.

The "slang" doesn't help us look any more sane either in this hobby of ours. Enough people already think that this hobby and the people in it are a little "out there". Just look at the odd terminology used among circles involved in dungeons and dragons type games. Yea, sure...that's who you want at your next party. :biggrin:

Even though I'm into detecting, if a couple of guys started acting that way on my own land I'd kick them out, and I wouldn't want to take them along to my sites where "acting up" may blow my spots for me.

There is a difference between getting excited about a great find, and letting your emotions run so wild that others in private OR public venues might not take too kindly to that kind of behaviour.

On a public site for instance, what better way to draw attention to yourself and inspire the general public to call the cops telling them somebody is acting strangely. Often when cops show up, even if you have every right to be there, they end up kicking you out just to pacify the person who called. They don't want to get another call an hour later and then have to explain to their supervisor why they didn't pour cold water on the situation. The person who took the initiative to call almost always wins in situations, and ones not even related to metal detecting too.

On a brighter note, there should be plenty of used detectors on the market soon. Not only because people will find that it's hard work and many days you go home having been skunked, but also because they probably were expecting some kind of "rush beyond belief" when they find something to put an extra skip in their step. :biggrin:

We all get excited in this hobby, but there's a point of self restraint in private or public venues that should be shown. I compare running around screaming or such to those people who talk on cell phones loudly in elevators or while waiting in line at a store, or laugh about trivial shallow things in the midst of a funeral. Just isn't very "appropriate" IMO.

And think about this...Even if many of us on these forums, who can understand the enthusiasm in some ways due to our addiction to this hobby, are having "issues" with things, then imagine how the general public not indoctrinated into our addiction might view these things? Think long and hard on that one and I think you'll see where real potential for damage to access in this hobby might be done...

critterhunter, i do not know you or your background, but you must be a writer:| cause every post you make is a frigging BOOK. If you post something that is not a BOOK, than i would like to read it. Cause by the time i get to the end of your BOOK, I have already forgot what you were saying. How can anybody?