Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Metal detecting ban on parks

Today was my 1st experience with being told in a gruff kind of way by a parks and rec worker to leave a park, due to all parks in that city being banned to metal detecting. He said some one had torn up the ground metal detecting in the parks and the city had banned the use of metal detectors in the park. I think what really made my blood boil in the moment is he grouped all of us into the same category by his tone. I tried explaining that I dig with a screwdriver. Never leave a hole and leave no trace. Didn't help a bit. I was angry at first at the system, at the park worker. Then I realized it was the fault of someone regardless of their skill level or their lack of respect for property or the hobby who did this. Made me a little ornery to think that someone who tried or is still in this great hobby ruined it for me Ito be able to hunt in the parks in a whole city. I hope they don't ruin the hobby entirely in the future. HH

I'm glad you use a screwdriver. I've been pooh-poohed for recommending only a thin screwdriver in parks and schools. I figure some day we'll all finally figure out why.

I was told last year by a park worker that I could not (in the same tone) metal detect in their park. But I had called the park drictor before I went
and he told me it was ok. I told the smart a// that and he didn't beleve me and called him. He then said ok.

some guys just think its O,K to use a spade and leave a mess, I think they are sent by the Deval

At a park in my town I was told by the lady that oversees the grounds that is I have to dig a hole to dig it deep to allow the root system to heal.

Davethejunky said:
At a park in my town I was told by the lady that oversees the grounds that is I have to dig a hole to dig it deep to allow the root system to heal.
Uh, whaaa? :pinnochio

yeah. She said she prefers that the grass not be "pealed" up. Said it damages the roots. That's all I know.

Shallow plugs get sucked up by the lawnmowers. Deeper plugs are better for the grass in the long run. Bring a catch rag for the extra dirt and cut a three sided deep plug...should be no problems.

using a screwdriver I don't even have to dig a plug with the detectors I have. They don't go very deep and I am usually using my compadre, bandido Umax, or Eldorado. The Eldorado and bandido with only 7" coils. With my pin pointer and the amazing pinpointing abilities of Tesoro detectors I can usually get my target out of a hole the size of an small aerator hole or less and then cover it back in. I thought about telling him his tractor with the large aerator on the back tore up the ground much more that I did and show him proof by digging. I don't think that would have changed his mindset though. In his mind if he let the screwdriver digger of small holes in, he couldn't say no to the shovel toter with a detector. So the plan to me was not to let anyone detect. Then he wouldn't have to single people out. What's interesting to me is that they don't tell someone who is not willing to pick up after their dog after it does its business to leave the park and never come back, or someone they see who is willing to leave a pile of garbage next to a playing field or in the park not to come back. I am not a vindictive or vengeful person. I just figure I might write a letter or call the parks and recs director and let them know what I thought of my experience yesterday and see if there is anything I can do to change their minds, but then again I kinda don't care about going back to detect there again. Plenty of other parks in neighboring cities and schools and campgrounds to detect in. Sorry for the long posts and complaining . Just a closing thought. We are constantly under observation in this hobby. One day I could be out detecting a park and dig responsibly and do everything right. Then say after I am done some yahoo comes through and does some activity that tears up the grass. Guess who gets blamed. I was digging in an area that been mowed after I had dug there a while ago. Small holes less that the size of an aerator hole and then covered up. No damage or ripped up grass. I guess we all look bad when one person messes up the place and ruins it for everyone. So enough griping I plan to go out again tomorrow to a different location. HH

the message none of us want to hear "get out" always good to remind people of the crap we remove from the rubbish dropping immune others, been told I am not allowed to detected the parks here by some suit, doesn't stop me :bouncy:

i do not care what they think go find a real criminal and leave me alone, or ban the litterers from the parks :ban:

if they knew what i used to get up too they would be grateful i am now committing a public service :punch:

so i will keep detecting and will keep cleaning up the mess of the other humans who do not care about their surroundings or have any pride in their town/city.

would be quite ironic if i got locked up for committing a public service :rofl:

keep detecting and so no to trash :lmfao:

dob in a dropper :clapping: not a pickerer uppera :biggrin:

AJ

Technically its been banned detecting parks over here in the UK for years,its very rare that they will grant you permission as they always get around it by using the old health and safety trump card.But as most of detect on farmland or pasture its not a big problem as such.

Dirtdigger33 said:
using a screwdriver I don't even have to dig a plug with the detectors I have. They don't go very deep and I am usually using my compadre, bandido Umax, or Eldorado. The Eldorado and bandido with only 7" coils. With my pin pointer and the amazing pinpointing abilities of Tesoro detectors I can usually get my target out of a hole the size of an small aerator hole or less and then cover it back in. I thought about telling him his tractor with the large aerator on the back tore up the ground much more that I did and show him proof by digging. I don't think that would have changed his mindset though. In his mind if he let the screwdriver digger of small holes in, he couldn't say no to the shovel toter with a detector. So the plan to me was not to let anyone detect. Then he wouldn't have to single people out. What's interesting to me is that they don't tell someone who is not willing to pick up after their dog after it does its business to leave the park and never come back, or someone they see who is willing to leave a pile of garbage next to a playing field or in the park not to come back. I am not a vindictive or vengeful person. I just figure I might write a letter or call the parks and recs director and let them know what I thought of my experience yesterday and see if there is anything I can do to change their minds, but then again I kinda don't care about going back to detect there again. Plenty of other parks in neighboring cities and schools and campgrounds to detect in. Sorry for the long posts and complaining . Just a closing thought. We are constantly under observation in this hobby. One day I could be out detecting a park and dig responsibly and do everything right. Then say after I am done some yahoo comes through and does some activity that tears up the grass. Guess who gets blamed. I was digging in an area that been mowed after I had dug there a while ago. Small holes less that the size of an aerator hole and then covered up. No damage or ripped up grass. I guess we all look bad when one person messes up the place and ruins it for everyone. So enough griping I plan to go out again tomorrow to a different location. HH
Thank you! 10-15 people hunt my parks and schools and the only droppings are usually 1-2" and I'm sure it's that way most places like this. How deep can a coin go in even a month. Oh, that's right. Captain Kidd may come and bury his hoard 2 feet the next week.:shrug:

In my opinion larger digging tools should only be used while hunting "out in the hicks" (as we call it down here) or if you have permission to do so on some given property. When you're hunting out in the hicks(woods, pasture fields and some lake and coastal areas)you won't have so many eyes watching you out there. When people see you at a public park or some type of public gathering area using a larger shovel some of them immediately get the wrong idea as to what you are trying to do and call authorities which results in red flags or a possible ban:thumbdown:

Some days If you really want to get their goat. Just empty your pouch on the grass for them... if its like mine their eyes would go wide and wonder why your leaving all the trash. Then explane that's the trash you picked up in the short time before they came to ask you to leave.

If there is not a sign, there is not a ban.

I have no problem moving along if a park worker asked me to, but until I see it printed on sign along side the rest of the prohibited activites, its not banned. I just have a personnel problem which can easily be solved by not being around the same park he is.

HH
Mike

I use the standard Lesche. If I can get a response with my Propointer AT I use a screwdriver to get it. When I was using an Explorer I would sometimes get a signal deeper than my screwdriver will reach and the Lesche would come out.

Always ask for some ID...more than once have been told to leave by person not having any authority to do so...Unfortunately these problems arise when we get a newbie that literally trashes a park so if you see someone not covering his holes do approach him or her...Those fences that have gone up over the years are caused by vandalism of kids with cars on drinking and drug parties that actually drive a vehicle thru the fields and leave trash.Carry a double bag one for good finds and other for trash as as Mike says it helps to show the trash you have removed. Unfortunately over the years more and more areas are being closed.

Sorry to hear of the ban.Hopefully they'll eventually reconsider. It's too bad that a few inconsiderate people ruin it for the rest. My motto: low key and leave no trace. Sounds like you do the same. Wish more did. Hope you find a new spot even better.

In the area where I live you can detect the parks, etc for surface coins only. No digging allowed. My Sister in law, before she passed, would go out the next day after a music festival or whatever was held there and would do pretty well with the clad on top of the ground. Once in a while she would find some "paper" money as well. I don't have nerve she did to go out and hunt those areas as I'm sure I would be blamed for someone else's lack of "skill". I do have enough private properties that I have permisson to hunt to keep me busy for a while. Once they run out/dry up, who knows..................

There is one reason and one reason only this is happening more and more.
Fools sitting on their couch watching a DIGGERS metal detecting show gets all excited thinking they can make tons of $$$ metal detecting.
Then they go to the park with a post hole digger and re-create the surface of the moon.

These shows need to stop showing the "prices" that one can get for a crappy condition King George Copper.
These shows need to OVERSTATE again and again how to dig a hole with a drop cloth etc.

I hate these metal detecting shows. I had an opportunity to get an AT-PRO added to my arsenal and I wont now since I do not want to look like an uninformed
detectorist looking for "juice"