Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Metal detectors in crime solving

20 years ago a deputy asked if he could use my detector for a pistol. Some guy had shot a guy & while driving away he threw the gun "onto" a frozen pond with some snow too. I said sure but it's warm now you know! He laughed & said he was going to crawl on the ice with another deputy & will have a rope just case. He found the gun but it had melted into the ice some so he used his hands to break off some ice & got it. but the ice was cracking & cracking but made it back to ground...

speaking about another gun. A friend bought a puppy quail dog & took it out in a field with his other dog to see how the puppy does when it hears a shot. They flushed a covey & he shot the pistol in the ground then dropped the gun to pet the puppy, etc. They romped around & tells the puppy he did good. Unfortunately there was several inches of snow & he couldn't find the gun [ not quail season - just checking the dog ] He gave up looking & borrowed my detector & found it.

There was a club in the Santa Clara Valley that would sometimes be called upon by local law enforcement to do searches for a gun or other weapon.

There was a club in the Santa Clara Valley that would sometimes be called upon by local law enforcement to do searches for a gun or other weapon.
In Springfield Missouri, they've never found the Springfield Three. I've told several people to get someone with a metal detector and start searching around some of those lakes. I don't know if anyone has done that yet.

We may have a missing person which may end up being a recovery coming up next month. I offered to bring my detector as the search being planned will be a ground grid search. I was asked how a detector would help looking for a body. I said unless he is naked and no gold crowns or medical pins then probably not but metal clothing buttons or change in his pockets and a shallow grave should be an easy find. That got them to thinking so maybe I’ll get a chance.

We may have a missing person which may end up being a recovery coming up next month. I offered to bring my detector as the search being planned will be a ground grid search. I was asked how a detector would help looking for a body. I said unless he is naked and no gold crowns or medical pins then probably not but metal clothing buttons or change in his pockets and a shallow grave should be an easy find. That got them to thinking so maybe I’ll get a chance.
I hope they let you help with that. You're right about the dental work, buttons, and pocket change. Even some earrings would have enough metal to sound on a metal detector.

I would believe cadaver dogs could help here. Unless they are not available ?

Yes we have HRD dogs here (Human Remains Detection). Amazing what they can detect, not sure how accurate if body chemically camouflaged etc etc. I will function as a “ground pounder” instead of my chosen “wheelers” group but rest assured the Legend will be close by.

Yes we have HRD dogs here (Human Remains Detection). Amazing what they can detect, not sure how accurate if body chemically camouflaged etc etc. I will function as a “ground pounder” instead of my chosen “wheelers” group but rest assured the Legend will be close by.
Some of those dogs can detect something underwater

We had an elderly person go missing happens all the time, he wondered off on a street near a canal the dog learned his scent and hit where he was in the canal.
They already had searched around the canal they sent divers down and sure enough he was found. If the ocean doesn’t camouflage it I don’t know what does

What I was trying to convey is if this ends up being a homicide case…….
Certain chemicals, peppers, aerosols etc can mask or repel a canine. Lime, baking soda, can also mask or greatly reduce human decay as well. Dog just needs to get a simple whiff of human decay and then at least several square miles can be reduced to an acre or two in size to do a deeper grid.