Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

meteorite hunting

Hobo lobo

I ordered a new XP Deus last week and was wondering how well it may work hunting meteorites. Has any one used it for that purpose and what setting may be a good starting point?

Just about any metal detector would work for meteorite hunting. From what I know, meteorites have a high iron content and so you would be looking for low tones/VDI.

Problem with that is, if you are looking for iron, I assure you that you will find iron, and lots of it. Meteorite hunting is not nearly as glamorous as it looks on those TV shows (unless you live in a prime area with strewn fields and not much trash).

If you will only be looking for meteorites, you can throw VDI's out the winder to begin with as they each meteorite is an individual, with a different size, shape and chemical makeup. You will have to dig a lot of meteor-wrongs to find a meteorite.

I would start with setting the Deus in zero disc and then I would get some meteorite samples and seeing what they sound like and ring up as and go from there.

Sorry I don't have more info but your taking on a pretty interesting endeavor there.

Do you live near a strewn field?

Hope this helped -Marc

Meteorites are normally hunted in all metal with most detectors and no attention is paid to a VDI. Some meteorites are solid iron/nickle, others are low in iron and hard to detect. Dedicated gold detectors are good for hunting them, just kind of wondering how well the Deus would do. I do have some meteorites to test with and , yes, I do live near strewn fields. The strewn fields I hunt have very little trash and a person can swing for hours without getting a signal.

Well that sounds awesome! I am sorry that I couldn't provide you with more info as I haven't hunted meteorites with my Deus.

I am interested in your findings when you get your Deus and I hope you post your finds as they come in.

In theory, the Deus should be a great machine for hunting meteorites and I hope it works well for you.

I am looking forward to your posts on this topic as I have not heard of anyone else using the Deus specifically for this purpose, yet...

HOBO

i will let you know some settings and a few VDI wen i get around. i have 3or 4 of them space rocks

but i need to check them out first i will get back

BOB

I did a little research on Meteorite hunting a few years ago - looks pretty interesting !
You might want to Google - " The Meterorite Men" - these guy's are Pro's that hunt all over the world - have a great website and they sell books and video's on the subject.

I would think you would have to cover a lot of ground if you get into Meteorite hunting - so the light weight of the Deus would be a big plus !

Good Hunting !

METEORITE

come in all shapes and sizes most times they are small and most will read as iron low no#

some rare ones have little iron if any they can be worth BIG BUCKS !! but i would not use any

DISC or you will miss them the round looking one hits at 2 VDI so wen looking 4 space rocks

RUN IN ALL-METAL !

and also they can be any were most of mine came from fields were

i run in all metal hope this helps

BOB