Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Meteorite Hunting

fjs440

I have an F70 with 11” DD and Nel Snake coils. Has anyone used the F70/75 for meteorite hunting? I am open to all suggestions on this one. I have been retired for 20+ years and am game to try anything new.

I am assuming my F2 with other coils, including a Nel Hunter coil, are not up to that task.

I love this retired life. Hope my body keeps up with me. All is good, except do not ask me to get up from a kneeling position very often without something to help. :hot:

You bet but like the previous post mentioned - you need to be in the right area. Meteorites are mostly iron so almost any MD will find them if they are in range. There are tons of them on EBay if you want to determine exactly what they'll sound like. You could get a real strong magnet also to grab them off the top of the ground. I've heard there are a ton of them on the top of the ground in AZ but I haven't been there myself.

GL and let us know about this adventure..

A few years ago, and before I'd ever held a metal detector, I caught a late night episode while flipping channels called "Meteorite Men" I think. They had "coils" that were maybe 5 or 6 foot squares that I believe were made of PVC pipe with wire run inside the pipe, and they would hold the box coil off the ground and walk with it instead of sweeping. They would sometimes dig down 3 or so feet with a shovel before they got to the meteorite fragment. The big coil would be for extra depth I assume and would sure cover a lot of ground. The episode I saw was filmed in Russia where there had been a known meteor impact some time ago.

All this to say I really don't know much about it. :) But it sure sounds fun! If it was a big enough chunk of metal, I'm sure your F70 could detect it down past a couple of feet in SL mode. Something to think about is it might even ring up higher than iron depending on its shape or size, even if made of iron. I'm sure there could be smaller fragments much shallower too or on the surface like Rob said.

A few places in Arizona have places you can hunt known fields. Ant detector will work, but you want to take that F70. Get a larger coil if you can swing it. Just cover as much ground as you can.

Gold Basin Az. is a strewn field area and there was a time 15 years ago that one could find a dozen pieces,up to 3 oz., per day--NOW if you hunt Hard for a week you May find One fragment.MD tours from Las Vegas has brought 100's of people to the area to hunt and once a piece is found it is no more. Look on utube for the Meteorite Men at Gold Basin. I have a place on the side of the mountain that overlooks Gold Basin and sometimes it looks like ants there are so many MD'ers.

Meteorties are everywhere,the planet is a big ass meteortie. But stony meteorties will not be detected by a metal detector and there 94% of all meteorties.
The iron core is much smaller and makes up only 5% of meteorties that are detectable, any machine can find a iron but they are few and far between 5% of meteorties.
Pallaites make up less than 1% of meteorties and are very valuable, can be several times more valuable than gold even previous stones.

Of course a high quality machine like your f70 will be much better at finding irons deeper. Now pallaites have iron the same iron but can have a few olivine crystals or be load with them with iron separating them. Those can be detected with a few detectors but not many and your f70 can if set up right. But there are only 35 known pallaites worldwide so if you will have better odds of hitting the lottery several times in a row.
There made in the boundary layer of very large near planet size astroids where the molten iron core mingles with the crust or stony part and melt the material in with the iron creating Crystal's.
That why there so rare,only a thin layer between the molten core and thick main body,the 94% stony part.
Now there is more to it than than so PM me and I will elaborate.

Oh and beware of eBay meteorties as they even have a tutorial on meteorties because a lot of meteorwrongs have been sold on there.

I think most stony meteorites are both attracted to a magnet and detectable by a metal detector - I have found thenm that way.

"Most meteorites contain at least some metallic iron-nickel and so will be at least somewhat magnetic and set off metal detectors," Rubin wrote in an email.

Alan Rubin, a geochemist at the University of California, Los Angeles, who specializes in characterizing newly discovered meteorites.

http://www.livescience.com/33876-meteorite-hunting-guide.html

Also this

Stony meteorites are the most abundant of the three meteorite groups and come closest to resembling earth rocks in their appearance and composition. The major portion of these meteorites consists of the silicate minerals olivine, pyroxene, and plagioclase feldspars. Metallic nickel-iron occurs in varying percentages and is accompanied by an iron-sulfide mineral. Aside from being the most abundant meteorite type, stony meteorites have the greatest variety in composition, color, and structure. One particular structural feature called chondrules divides the group into two main subgroups:

Chrondrites, those with chondrules
Achondrites, those without chondrules

http://www.livescience.com/33876-meteorite-hunting-guide.html

Stony meteorites can be Hi or low iron content and can be depending on the iron content attracted strongly or weakly to a rare earth magnets,anchorites can have 0 to less than one percent iron,even more rare than pallaites.
Most stonies will not be detected by a detector that aren't sensitive and set up correctly to do so.

An extremely small percentage of meteorites (far less than one in a thousand) do not show strong attraction to a magnet. They are so rare that we usually discount anything that will not adhere to a magnet. Those meteorites look similar to volcanic rocks from Earth, and are not metallic in appearance.

http://www.aerolite.org/found-a-meteorite.htm

Here's some actual advice from the great Reg Sniff from 14 years ago

Posted by Reg Sniff on 1/2/2002, 7:57 pm , in reply to "Re: Shootin' Star Shootout (long post)"

Hi Jim,

I wouldn't be too concerned about frequency of a detector and how it affects the detection of meteorites simply because each machine has a different design as to the level of sensitivity of the different modes. If all things were equal then it is possible that a lower frequency detector probably would have a slight advantage when detecting iron and stony iron meteorites. However, since detectors vary considerably in many factors including the sensitivity level, the frequency factor is lost.

Most manufacturers develop the all metal and disc sensitivity to suit the primary purpose of the detector. For example, a detector designed for coin hunting will normally give a nice strong response to a coin but won't be so intense that it overloads the audio. This gives the operator some feel for the size of the object.

Nugget hunting machines, by nature have greater sensitivity so they provide a louder signal to small gold objects. As such, they will provide a stronger signal to stony meteorites also.

PI's work well for meteorite hunting. One of the more popular brands are the Minelab SD's. They do not produce quite as strong response as a good Gold Machine to a stony meteorite, but because they do not respond to the ground or to most hotrocks, they can actually be superior. Other PI's such as Eric Foster designs also work quite well, providing the delay is set to minimum. At 15 usec, they will give a decent signal to a stony meteorite and since they also ignore the hotrocks, many of the questionable "hotrocks" are ignored. However, one should realize that increasing the delay will cause the meteorites to be ignored.

To better understand why meteorites give conflicting signals on different detectors one has to understand certain basic theory. For example, if we were to draw a linear graph of all targets a metal detector can detect and try to relate them to something, maybe it would make more sense. If we use a general graph where something like ferrite is at one end and pure silver or better yet something pure resistive at the other extreme and label one end 0 degrees and the other 180 degrees we can sort of relate targets for ground balancing or even discriminating purposes.

Now, if we let ferrite be the 0 degree setpoint, then silver would be somewhere in the 170 degree range. Something like saltwater would be 90 degrees, a nickel would be something like 140 degrees and other coins would fall between the nickel and a quarter.

Ground signals are down in the ferrite range, maybe 0 to 10 degrees or so. Stony meteorites fall either in that range or very close. My guess is that Gold Basin meteorites fall somewhere in the range of 6 to 12 degrees. Iron objects will have a range of something like 20 to 90 degrees depending upon composition and size. Most stony iron and iron meteorites should fall in a range between the ground range and the saltwater range, again depending upon size and composition.

If you adjust a detector to give minimum response to a piece of ferrite then all objects including meteorites should respond with a positive audio response in the all metal mode. If you adjust the detector to typical ground conditions, then ferrite will give you the "negative boing", but most meteorites still should give a weaker positive response. Exceptions would be areas where the ground is strange.

If you have the ground balance set so when you lower the coil, the audio decreases, then some of the stony meteorites will respond with a "negative" signal. Again, this depends upon the actual adjustment of the ground balance control. Actually, one could get a negative response, no response, or even a very slight positive response from a meteorite, depending upon the local ground mineralization. However, I have found very few places where the ground is so strange that proper ground balancing would yield a negative response to a stony meteorite such as those found in Gold Basin.

I am sure there are some stony meteorites that would have less nickel and the iron would be in more of an oxide phase that they could give a negative response on a detector properly ground balanced to the ground, but they probably aren't Chondrites. Chondrite meteorites by nature have iron/nickel nodules which aid in their detection. In many cases they also contain similar composition as the native basalt, which can be classified as one of the leaverites. As any serious nugget hunter knows, basalt is easily detectable.

A couple of quick notes before ending this long winded post. Other leaverites such as magnetite will respond very simular to ferrite. Hematite will be more positive, and other iron oxides generally fall somewhere in between. The stony meteorites are quite similar in response as hematite.

Ground signals vary in both composition and intensity. There are different compositions that cause an audio "ground" response. One scenario might be two areas, one having little "black sand" and another might have a lot of black sand. So, the setting on the GB control that minimizes any audio response from these black sand conditions may be the same, but the actual intensity as seen by the detector may vary considerably. This is one of the reasons, the setting of the GB control as a reference will have little meaning as to the ground strength or even how a detector might respond depth wise. However, the setup I mentioned quite some time earlier for Mark 1 users displays ground intensities and does a much better job.

One final note, I have either hunted seriously with or at least tried some 15 to 20 different detectors on Gold Basin meteorites. All have had fundamentally the same response providing the ground balance is set correctly.

I no longer have my Compass AU 2000 but I am sure from what I remember about this detector, that this machine would work quite well for both nugget and meteorite hunting.

Reg

The Gold Basin meteorites are Chondrites---when you see the chondrules you know you have a meteorite.The chondrules appear as deeeeep red inclusions.

Meteorites are tough to find period. You need a detector with zero discrimination because you are looking for iron and virtually all places where people have been are littered with iron. There is also a ton of BS about meteorites going around so verify with experts what you hear. They are distributed all over the world, but strewn fields have concentrations and dry, arid areas keep them longest. Since they are high iron content, they rust away fastest in salt and humid environments therefore desert dry lake flats are some of the best places (often they are white and the black to dark brown fragments show up best too).
And big coils are for big/deep targets. Note what is needed to recover them by the Meteorite Men. It can be a huge expense to find tractor parts!

Plenty of videos on Utube. They use regular detectors. I would suggest something your comfortable swinging. Your gonna dig bullets and the such. You may go without a signal all day then bam, you got one. Good luck.

I found the below in my front yard with my 1266 clearing out a place for a coin test garden. I'm pretty sure its a Meteorite, but I've not had it examined by an expert.
It does stick to a magnet,
its has somewhat of a bullet shaped nose with areas of "Flow" to its reverse.
The images are VERY close up!
you can see the real size where its pictured with the ruler.

Mark

togg77 said:
Mark a tell tell sign of a non meteorite is layering--does your's have layering?

I wouldn't say it has "Layering" its more like some of the Iron content at its hottest area shows a slight sign of melting with evidence of flowing backwards. All of it looks to have been hot, but not sooty like being in a ground fire. The iron covered area is on one side (the face) of the bullet shape

Mark

Reality is not determined by vote, but I'd say 99.9+% no way its a meteorite fragment. But the best way (only way) to know is taking it to a real expert.

Well, I tried another picture of it, what makes me think?? its a meteorite is just off the nose it has a melting flow to where it beaded up and rolled back over the stony part as if it was travelling at a high rate of speed which looks to have shaped the point of entry nose.
Its nosed frontend,
its molten beaded flow to the back,
its size is also right, its about the size of a pinto bean.
Its not Iron, but it sticks to a magnet.
I worked with the color as best as I could to correct it to its natural color, its still off a bit.

Its the only rock I've ever kept while I was metal detecting and that's over 30 years! Its not possible to though a rock in a fire and it come out like this.
But, that still don't make it a meteorite and even if it is doesn't mean its worth anything.

Mark

Mark that is an interesting piece and you should send it to someone like the Univ of AZ and let them identify it for you.
Meteorites usually have a more homogeneous look to them--the iron/nickel content doesn't flow out separately from the stony part,but there is always anything possible in nature. Good luck on finding out.