Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Meteorite mode dead on.

woodchiphustler

I tested a few suspected space rocks that the magnet took to. Sure enough the meteorite mode confirmed these. I will check the field again one day to see if anymore turn up.

This is an interesting aspect of metal detecting.

Should someone find a good specimen where would they take it ?

Are there buyers for these space rocks?
Perhaps a website?

What I would like to know is. Where do you look for Meteorite. I don't think that would be E - Z here in Maine to find them. Is there a web sight to find out where they hit. ?

Eagle 1

Where would find Meteorite. Is there a sight or froum on this, to go to. I would think the NASA would have a map on where they have hit.?

Eagle 1

There are a lot of folks interested in this subjext. Just poke around a bit with your favorite search engine. As far as metal detectors and meteorites, try pluggin in "john blennert meteorite" that should give you lots of places to start.

This guy found some huge meteor it was worth a lot he knew that their was more on this property so he bought it he built his own metal detector that he drags behind a tractor it is about 4x4 he still is finding them he has made a million at least.

Hi All

I thought I'ld reply since my name was mentioned. Unless woodchiphustler has had his find classified as a meteorite by an institution this point is mute. There are plenty of terrestrial rocks that will sound like a potential meteorites on VLF and PI machines. There are so many variables in iron content with minimul amounts of Ni that it would be virtually impossible to determine a meteorite by the VDI features on any detector. Besides there are 3 elements on earth that can be magnetic does anyone on here know which three elements they are ?? Happy Huntin John B.

Share it with Whites engineers.

The last I knew it was iron, nickel and cobalt.

HI: John B

Is there any maps that you know out there that show where Meteorites have hit the Earth. I would think NASA would keep track of this.? I live in Maine and would like to know where to look. Thanks

Eagle 1

For more info on what to look at in evaluating something you may have found - google "meteorwrongs" there's stuff from a lot of sites to help you.

I also was thinking "Are you sure it's a meteorite?" There are mineralized rocks that can cling to a magnet and such to. Easy to mistake.

Info:

http://www.meteoritesusa.com/how-to-find-meteorites.htm

http://www.universetoday.com/2008/03/19/geologist-finds-a-meteorite-crater-in-google-earth/

Jerry