Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Meteorites

I've never dug a space rock, but from what I've read, they can vary greatly in the nickel - iron content and size of course. Small ones I'd expect to be in the low to mid-conductor range, but I have no idea what their ferrous numbers might be. I think there is a meteorite forum over on T-Net where you might find an answer. - Jim

I have a meteorite that is stony with flecks of nickle which you can plainly see and the Etrac will not detect it even in all metal. This really surprised me! Mike

FE 35 CO 40
Quickmask (All Metal screen)
Audio depends on which Sound & Tone Options you select.
Cursor sat on bottom about three quarters of an inch away from RHS wall.
Piece checked 'allegedly', a meteorite from Russia?
It's a fairly heavy 38.5grams and jagged shaped walnut size piece
4cms long and 2cms in width, height about 1.5cms,
dark brown to black in color.
Looks like it was in extreme heat at some stage!

Hope this helps some

Des

Ahhhhh, how many meteorites have you guys found?

I have hunted for over 36 years now, and not one. 3 x's per week avg, X 4 hours average, X 52 weeks X 36 = 22,464 hours in the field, without a meteorite. I am due! I am still waiting for a call from the meteorite men.......LOL I have *THOUGHT* I had found several, but alas, they were just indian love stones. (F'in Rocks you find in Injun country).

Looked at another way, at 3 seconds per swing with a 10 inch coil (.83 sq ft) in a 5 foot swath, X 20 swings per minute, = 83 sq feet per minute covered X 60 minutes, X4 hours =19,920 sq ft per 4 hour day of hunting X 3 =59,760 sq ft per week X 52 weeks =3,107,520 sq ft per year x 36 years = 111,870,720 sq ft in my lifetime, divided by 40000 sq ft per acre = 2,796.77 acres of searching +- an acre or ten.........and not ONE stinking meteorite. That is just FUNDAMENTALLY wrong!

Boy, am I BORED this morning or what? LOL I am going metal detecting at 08:30......I wonder if I will see a blackened object, one never knows.

From what I've read on the almighty wiki only a small 6% of meteorites have any metal content and that metal is a iron-nickle, the rest are basically rocks. So you have more than likley been over a few but descriminated them out as iron junk. (As Des's numbers indicate)

I'd suggest that the guys that hammer the goldfields would pick up a few (no discrimination and dig everything)

Cheers,
Greg

Thanks Des for the numbers and info.

Since the town I live in didn't exist prior to 1942 the odds of finder the really old nice coins are slim. But the desert around here is the place to look for meteorites.
I do fire up my 40 year old tote gote and head out to old watering holes and the occasional ghost. Since I have been watching the meteorite men I noticed they use fisher f75s on their hunts. I figure my Etrac should be able to find anything a f75 can with the right program maybe even better. Almost all meteorites have some Iron and nickle in them just need a good pattern and manage to get my coil over one.

Most stony irons and stony's don't register....Mine Lab has apparently made a pretty good effort at canceling out hot rocks. The irons hit, where you would expect bottom rightish corner.

I would think Hunting the desert and looking for meteorites All Metal would be the Best.Not like there is gonna be alot of junk out there.All metal with an 18x15 s.e.f coil and your in Bussiness! :)Good Luck,Hope to see some pictures of your finds.HH

S'funny all this talk about meteorites...
Because a few weks ago "something" was seen flying through the nite sky
and supposedly came to earth somewhere about 170 miles from here.
There were "witnesses" but so far nobody has been able to accurately
plot its trajectory nor find whatever it was?
News reports say it was a meteorite.
I believe the hunt is ongoing to locate it...

Des D
:minelab: