Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Meter for Sovereign GT

I feel you will be happier with a good 180 meter and would not trade a good Sun Ray DTI3 for one of the Patriot meters. The Patriot is built well and has a big screen to see the face of the meter, but that is about the only thing I liked better with this meter as I tried 2 different ones in case one was bad, but both were the same. I can tell my close targets in tones much better with the 180 meter as the numbers may only be 1 or 2 numbers different were as I could not see the difference with the Patriot meter. The iron sentry light showed iron several time when it was a good coin and knew it by the tones the Sovereign made. For me I just didn't care for it while other really liked it, but for my deep coin hunting in the older parks I really like the 180 meters and done very good with them.

Rick

Hi waiting for the gt to arrive ,with meters what it the difference between m/l 180 and 550 meters is there any advantage with one over the other thanks

Sorry I'm not the Ron you want but he is here on the Forum. He will tell you everything you need to know. I bought 2 of his meters and I'm very happy with them. He's a great guy too.

Some do like the 550 meters and some like me don't like them that much and we do a 180 conversion on ours.
The 180 meters were started with the Sun Rays when Minelab only had a bar type meter as we wanted something more precise with the actual numbers for those slight tone changes our ears have a hard time telling the difference in. It is used more for us that coin hunt as we can tell the difference in like the beaver tails off the older pull tabs and a nickle. It can tell the difference in the zinc pennies and the copper one by only a couple of numbers even those the tones may sound the same.
Now the early 550 meters came out on the XS2 Pro and the XS2 didn't have them, only the Pro had them, but could be bought as a accessory. I found out that the numbers were not as stable and many times overlap to a bad target on a coin, the number would vary much more on a deeper target so we had a harder time telling if the target was good or bad compared to the 180 meters. Latter on we notice when the XS2a came out and the Elite came out with the 550 meter it had been changed to a more stable 550 meter, so there is really 2 versions of the 550 meter and the difference is 1 resistor I know of as the kits come with both of them and you have to see what the value of R2 I believe it is to know which one to replace.
I have tried most all of the meters for the Sovereigns and like the 180 meters with the Sun Ray DTI 2 (later model) and the DTI 3 the best as I liked the angle on which the meter sits as it is easy to see, but these were around $170 when made back in the late 90s and early 2000 and once in a while you will see a used one and some do want quite a bit for them. The one Ron makes is by far the best deal I have ever seen on a meter for the Sovereigns and it seems like he is always trying to improve on his design to make them better.
As you will notice most people that post will be posting using 180 numbers, so those with the 550 meters these numbers don't mean that much and feel myself that the 180 number meters are more universal numbers. This is why I bought the parts to do the conversion so those that want to make their 550 meters into 180 meters.

Rick

:ausflag:Thank you for your reply ,as I said I am waiting for the sovereign gt to arrive from the U.S. no longer available here in Aus .I have been looking for a meter for it ,a friend said he has a meter but was it a 180 or 550 I will have to wait until I see him to find out what the meter is. The kit that converts the meters where can I get it if needed and I am not a brain surgeon is it easy to fit
regards john

The kit for the meter has to be taken apart and the Potentiometer and 2 precision resistors have to be replaced and then do a course calibration before putting it back together. There is soldering to be done, so you should be able to do this or someone you know. When I got the parts I had to get them from a company in Australia and they were at a great price, so I ordered in enough to do many of them and sell them to those that need to change their 550 to 180s.

Rick

Thanks Rick I live in Australia I will try to find the part supplier here if I cannot find them I may have to contact you again regards john