Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Meter for Sovereign GT

gwsears

Hi all,
New to Minelab, am giving the Sov GT a go at it.

I understand a meter was once an option and other meters were made by others.
I also understand that they are no longer produced.

What meter was the most sought after, considered to be the best one :)

Where would I find one?

Anyone?

Thanks,
Geo
Savannah, GA

I would look no further than Ron's 180 meter. It is priced at HALF of what the others originally sold for and is an excellent product from an outstanding man who backs up the product AFTER the sale as well. He sells them on the big E. You won't be disappointed! I've been swinging a Sovereign since 1995 and have tried every single one known (except the Patriot meter which was way out of my price range). HH George Fatizzi

I also am one of Ron's customers. Very Happy with the meter. It makes the Sovereign GT much easier to learn. Well worth the investment. Ron is the Moderator for this forum.

Ron's meter will probably be one of the best add-ons you will buy for the GT. Very easy to setup and he ships quickly.

I have used them all on my Sovereigns and to me I feel the 180 digital meter is by far the best of them. For the best bang for the buck is Ron's Meter and as you see is highly recommended and I have one around for a spare, but the one I like the best and no longer made is the Sun Ray DTI 3 and the DTI 2 with the metal calibration control. The DTI 3 had a back light and the angle of viewing was nice, the DTI 2 didn't have a back light on it, but works excellent. These were quite a bit more than Ron's meters when made and why I say Ron's meters are the best bang for the buck and the only one I know of that makes a 180 meter for the Sovereign and work excellent also.

Good luck with the GT and have the patience as it will be worth it.
Rick

I USE THE DTI 3 AND LOVE IT. IF IT QUITS, I WOULD NOT BE SCARED AT ALL OF BUYING RONS METER. HE IS A GREAT GUY. HH-MARK

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'll be in the market for one of Ron's meters soon. I've yet to use the Sovereign so it's all going to be new to me. I'll get it out to the beach soon and see what I can do with the tones alone. The meter, when I get it, will be used for special silver sniping excursions.

Thanks again,
George

GW

When you first start using the Sovereign GT you may wonder why in the world did you ever invest that kind of money in the machine. I was very close to hating mine until I put a meter on it. At the beach I set my machine so that I do not hear the Iron/steel. I then dig everything.

This morning I went to a local elementary school and dug $8.60 in clad and a few stinking Lincolns. Didn't find anything good in the jewelry line. Just a couple of junk ear rings.

Once you learn the Sovereign GT you will then begin to love the thing. Kinda grows on you.
HH

That's the way I felt about my Nautilus after getting it in 1978.... and the way I feel about my Troy Shadow X5 today.
I had planned to use the Sovereign strictly at the beach as you do, with iron disc and digging the rest.
I like the way the Sov allows me to hunt with the threshold. Those whispers are what I love to hear.
Thanks and HH,
George

The Sovereign is a great metal detector but a meter is required to get the best performance for park hunting.I have used the Minelab Digital 550 and 180,the Sunrays,Avenger and Night Hawk they are all great meters.The Minelabs are not weather proofed as well as the Sunrays,Avenger and Night Hawk the screen will blank out in bright sun and will require shade to recover.My 180 meter is on the fourth season and I have made improvements through experience after building a few.Rick is correct the Sunray is a great meter.With the discrimination and notch set at the lowest setting on the Sovereign with the 180 meter will let the users see objects buried in the ground (for me kinda of like using an X-ray machine).Good Luck to new users,but time in the field is the real guarantee for success with the Sovereign.HH Ron

Get Ron's Meter. I have it and I'm very pleased with it. He is a great guy too ! and it's American made !!

Ron L

I have a Rons 180 and love it from land hunting. You don't really need a meter on the beach unless your strictly dry sand hunting. I have an Excal and GT with 13" Ultimate. The GT is still my favorite with hip mount setup for wet sand hunting. I put a gallon ziplock bag over my box before putting in hip mount setup and then gather the bag up around coil cable and zip tie it. I just puncture the top of bag with headphone jack when inserted in control box. This would help from drowning it if you fell or got hit by a wave. Good luck and HH!

I have a Patriot Meter on my Sovereign.I have used others but this Patriot is the best I have ever owned,,it's advanced even today.They are extremely rare with not many being made..I was lucky to find one on e Bay U.K. a few years ago and won't be selling mine until I don't detect any more....

No doubt Ron,s meter works best on a clad quarter and a silver quarter both will show 180 on the meter but a very distinct different tone in the headphones , i chest mount my GT only accessory on my shaft is Ron's meter very lite . HH Jim

I agree with Lovee-1 I found the patriot meter to be the best meter for the sovereign.
I have also used both the 180 and 550 meters with great success and still use them!
BCNJ