Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab answers some questions...

I had similar questions and was also sent this document.
You can download it here: Etrac Smartfind Explanation
Hope this works

Also, here is the reply I received regarding the ferrous issue:

FROM MINELAB
Hi Ron,

In my way of thinking if junk targets are more grouped together, then it is easier to get rid of them using a
simple pattern.

The main problem with the Explorers, was that junk and good targets were very random, so it took a long time to
create custom patterns. Just when you'd think you had it worked out, you'd find a desirable target that was being blanked
out, and modifying the pattern to accept this target meant that some of the junk items would now be detected.

With the coin and junk targets providing more similar Ferrous numbers, means that with minimal discrimination, your
good vs bad target ratio should surely improve, as you will stand a better chance of finding targets that are on edge, or
buried deeply.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Nenad Lonic

RonL

if you look at the iron patterns you will see now the tilted line is iron

Yes, in their example, but the original discrimination pattern was tilted too - parallel to the tilted coin line. Now you can crank up the iron mask higher without cutting into the coin area, otherwise the iron mask line would have had to have been tilted to the same angle as the coin line. Now everything is orthogonal and as far as I'm concerned it was the right thing to do. Seems to me that Ferrous sounds is no less relevant than it was before - it's just that Conductive with some disc seems to be a better way to set up the unit.

Nenad is saying that they did this to group the targets together to make it easier to make patterns.

One of the main strengths of the previous models is that things hit far apart(random in his words), and thus could be ID'd.

You would never ever dig crown caps with the explorers. I thought all modern detectors were like this until I bought another brand.

The whole tilted ferrous axis thing was also a total non-issue, first I've ever heard that someone thought it was a problem. Is it only because iron mask is straight up and down and the ferrous tilted that they made the change?

Again it sounds to me that Minelab is trying to push pattern hunting.

Chris

I would definitely agree with you on that, in fact the iron falsing line now juts up into 1-30, and 1-31. It doesn't look solved to me, it just looks like it has been moved to an even more inconvenient place. I sent mine back to ML today and I honestly suggest that you do the same. Cause if you are going to beat your self up, over and over with this thing, it might be a good idea if you know that you have a perfectly working machine. It would be an outright shame for you to waste all this time, only to find out your machine needed repair.:twodetecting:

The fact that ML answered so quickly says that they must be listening to us and probably reading our posts.:clap: I smell a low ferrous tone option in conduct sounds a coming!

n/t

n/t

that things would hit farther apart in ferrous and conductive!! ..Anyway, I dont want to appear negative, it was just a point that I made.
RonL(The Lurker)