Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab coils

My question is for you more knowledgeable coil enthusiast. Can anyone tell me the difference between three Minelab 8" coils ?
# 1- Minelab 8" BBS coil
# 2- Minelab 8" Sovereign Tornado DD coil
# 3- Minelab 8" Tornado slimline coil
I know the physical differences, it's the inner workings of the coils I am curious about. I will be running these coils on a Excal. ll . I have preformed a water proof mod. and at this time am running seven different coils most of which were designed for the Sovereign with BBS technology and they all preform well. I am just curious about these three coils. Thanks

Don't really know the difference in the inside of the coils, but the 8 inch BBS coil where used on the older Sovereigns and were the first waterproof coils made for the Sovereigns/Excalibur detectors. The 8 inch Tornado coils were also called the Slimline coils, so these are the same coils I believe as some call them Slimline, but the Slimline that were marked Slimline were for the Advantage if my memory serves me correct(when you get older you can remember what you did 40 years ago, but not what you did a half hour ago). The Tornado coils were extras for the Sovereign Elite and the GT and used on the Excalibur II, the BBS 800 where used on the Sovereign XS2, and the XS2a and on the Excalibur before the Excalibur II.

Rick

That's a lot of coils to have that one can use on the Excalibur...I think I may have 5 or so and found the 10 inch, for me is the Best for my hunting. Then the little 800 coil to be second. As far as inside those coils at one point they changed the Pre-Amp on the BBS coils.. I have a Excalibur I can swap out coils and I have both the Slimlines, one was made for the Excalibur and the other the Sovereign, Tornado and I think the Green labeled Excal coil is Noisy.And maybe a little more sensitivity.. how much? Millimeter's...

The BBS 800 coil is a 7 1/4" coil, has extra weight because of the extra thickness,kinda reminds me of a platform shoe Tony Orlando would wear.The older 5 wire BBS coils doesn't have the depth or the stability of the 4 wire BBS coils.The only way you could tell the difference is remove the connector cover and check the number of wires.The BBS 800 with the extra weight is a decent coil excellent depth and separation,have noticed this coil will null on a target with too fast sweep speed more than a Slim line or Tornado Coil.I keep a Tornado 800 and 1000 in my arsenal and covers 99% of my hunting needs.The smaller Tornado 800 isn't as critical with sweep speed and can match depth with a lot larger coils.The Slim Line and Tornado are different names for the same coil.Overall the Tornado 800 coil is a much better coil than the BBS 800,lighter,more sensitive,better stability and not as sensitive to sweep speed. Hope this helps. Ron

Thank you all for your help. I am still somewhat confused on the Tornado DD for Sovereign vs. Tornado slimline. There is over $70.00 difference in price and the Tornado DD for Sovereign has the Tony Orlando shoe appearance somewhat taller and thicker vs. The Tornado slimline which has a lower profile in appearance. Ron, of the two, which in your opinion is the more stable? OBN. I am a coil junky, Sun Ray, 5"- 8"' DeTek 8"x12" Detech 13" NEL Hunter NEL Attack. and Minelab green label. Again thank you all for your help.

The Tornado 800 coil is a thin profile and light weight.I've used a lot of different coils and for me the Tornado coil is the most stable of them all.These coils without cord issues sell for top dollar for a good reason.Good Luck

You're missing the Sunray S-12 Intruder. Great coil for the Sov.
Then there is always the original 8" CoinSearch in white (not water proof)

Auriemma: Thank you. I run all these coils on a Excalibur and water hunt 100% of the time. The DeTek and NEL both cover the 12" coil size. Thanks again.

I am using the 10" Tornado coil on a Excal Blue and have been doing fairly well with my finds.
The BBS 1000 is actually 6 ounces heaver than the 10" Tornado.
I had to change the coil,due to the casing coming apart on a used unit I purchased.
So, while I had it apart I weighed them both.
I found OBN videos on the internet,and followed his instructions with great success.