Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab Equinox’s headphones adapter

Bigtom123

I bought a headphones adapter for $40,it’s a Minelab product for the equinox...I hooked it up and my gray ghost won’t work,flip the switch on the headphones and still nothing,,,,,rehooked the adapter into the equinox a few times to see if it seated right and still no go with the gray ghost..It just keeps going through the speaker on the equinox control.
I have a set of ultra lite whites headphones and they work great with the adapter..my gray ghost are only 2 months old and work on the f75 and the explorer so there’s no issues with them.
I know the equinox 600 I have. An be made wireless but I hate charging stuff but I’m ok with just charging the machine,,don’t care to go wireless..And I really like the gray ghost audio so if anyone knows anything I don’t ,,please let me know..thanks..

Bigtom go back to page 3, there is the same question asked and answered-my sunrays wont work.
Jeff

GrayGhost makes several headphones wiring each for specific detecotrs. The below link is for the GG Amphibians, others are not wired the same and will need to be re-wired to conform to Minelab Equinox's requirements for audio connection to work properly.

https://www.findmall.com/read.php?107,2443613,2443693#msg-2443693

Well,thanks for the replies,pretty much sums up what I was thinking..Minelab is marketing and selling a product that doesn’t work with the most common and best headphones out there..,,and I’m sure they know that and fail to disclose that information...Just a poor excuse for what I thought was a top notch company.

My Killer B Rattler won't work but my Vance headphones that I acquired years go will work. I don't know if it is an impedance mismatch with the Rattler or wiring mismatch. Fortunately, the old Vance 'phones produce a nice response tonally, so I'll use them.

dan h said:
My Killer B Rattler won't work but my Vance headphones that I acquired years go will work. I don't know if it is an impedance mismatch with the Rattler or wiring mismatch. Fortunately, the old Vance 'phones produce a nice response tonally, so I'll use them.

What’s a shame is guys who own just one set of headphones like pro gold,rattler or gray ghost who order this adapter from Minelab are gonna be out of $40 ...That’s one of the worst shams I’ve saw yet in this .hobbie from any manufacturer...At least Garrett at pro adapter works with any headphones..

leslie said:
It's the 3.5 mm stereo jack thats the problem , for the G Gs to work you need an adapter with a mono jack.

Thank you Leslie,I will try that..I would have sent it back,but I don’t want the sponsor to take a hit for somthing that imo is Minelabs fault..I like the equinox,just not happy with the adapter..I will give this a try.

I was going to buy the adapter cable too to use with my grey ghosts also but my dealer told me it wouldn’t work... I purchased the yellow submersible headphones instead.. I thought he might just be blowin smoke but turns out he was right..

I’m wondering just what headphones actually do work with the Minelab headphones adapter? I mean,seems like all the major players in the headphones manufacturering are out,,...I’ve kinda already made my peace with being taken by Minelab on this issue,but I sure would hope this thread saves somone else with getting the shaft..lol

Like was stated earlier sunray and grey ghost that ctx compatible work just fine, might be others out there.
Jeff

[size=medium]Some of the Koss head phones also work but not sure what the model numbers are . I got a pair t[/size]hat will work just fine but my pro gold's won't .

laplander said:
Like was stated earlier sunray and grey ghost that ctx compatible work just fine, might be others out there.
Jeff

No they don’t,like stated earlier were talking about the faulty adapter minelab sells for the equinox,,not $150 dollar headphones made to use without a adapter..your way off

I got a couple of the 800 from Windy City detectors for 2 of my hunting buddies and they want to use their Gray Ghost , one is the Ultimate and not sure of the other and want to use them with their detector as they been using them on their E-Trac and the SE pro and work good. I remember with the CTX 3030 we had to make a adapter which is what you posted how it is wired up and still have one here, so we tried different headphone, my Timberwolfs FMW or something like that, the Troy Pros that are made to work with the Stereo or mono with no switches like some have. I also tried his Gray Ghost and my Bushmaster which is made by Detector Pro and have a switch to change from Mono or stereo. Now with the adapter I made for my CTX the Gray ghost worked like they should, with that adapter, but with a adapter that I bought to use the 1/4 inch plug to match up with the 1/8 inch jack they didn't work. Now with the timberwolfs and the Troy Pros it worked with no problem and shut off the speaker volume and the headphone worked just fine.
Now with the diagram that is posted you can see how you can build one if you like. I know we seen this same problem when the CTX came out as some didn't work at all while some would and the speaker volume also was working. The one I made had the straight plug that went into the detector ( CTX and the Equinox) and seen where the plug was to fat to go all the way in so I had to grind some of it off. The one I bought is the L Shaped 1/8 plug and seem to work great using my Timberwolf and the Troy Pros, but with the Gray Ghost I had to use the adapter I made for the CTX , In fact I think Gray Ghost and I know Sun Ray made a headphone after the CTX came out that was made for the CTX
and when using other detectors there was a switch to flip one way or the other I understand (getting old and cant remember everything like I could before)
One more thing before I forget as I am no expert on headphones and tried many different ones and do see some say they have a set of headphone that work one detector and not on another as one is mono and one is stereo output and even though they switch the stereo and mono switch it still wont work on one detector. The problem is there is one of the wires broke in the cord is why it wont work on one detector and works fine on the other one.

Rick

The Minelab adapter is NOT "faulty"!
It is that some headphones are not compatible with the Equinox as wired.
Just like detector coils that are not interchangeable between detectors, even if from the same manufacturer.
Headphone can be made as stereo or mono with the speakers in series or parallel configuration, with or without
a switch to change configuration or a volume control.
I have taken several Minelab adapters and put a waterproof connector on it in place of the 1/4 inch connector
so one can use the GrayGhost Amphibian wired for Garrett detectors with the Equinox.

WaterWalker said:
The Minelab adapter is NOT "faulty"!
It is that some headphones are not compatible with the Equinox as wired.
Just like detector coils that are not interchangeable between detectors, even if from the same manufacturer.
Headphone can be made as stereo or mono with the speakers in series or parallel configuration, with or without
a switch to change configuration or a volume control.
I have taken several Minelab adapters and put a waterproof connector on it in place of the 1/4 inch connector
so one can use the GrayGhost Amphibian wired for Garrett detectors with the Equinox.

Do you have any info on a connector that will allow my new Sun Ray Pro Gold headphones with my Equinox 800? A diagram, a link to a website, etc..? I bought the Minelab 1/4" to 1/8" adapter and of course it didn't work with the Sun Ray's. Ideally I would love to cut the 1/4" end off of the Minelab adapter and the 1/4" end off of the Sun Ray's and have them wired directly. Is that possible?

Thanks!

Bigtom123 said:
laplander said:
Jeff

No they don’t,like stated earlier were talking about the faulty adapter minelab sells for the equinox,,not $150 dollar headphones made to use without a adapter..your way off
Its unfortunate that all headphones and all detectors are not compatible, this is not a new issue at all. Whites and Fishers weren't 30 years ago and there are probably other examples I am not aware of. I fully understand you wanting the better audio. We just need to be better educated on our options, this is where a good dealer would be invaluable. I have been using the Sunray pro golds with the 3 position switch for over a year they work fine plugged into the module {800} or directly into the machine. I have personally talked to the manufacture of the Grey Ghost and they make at least one model the works with the Equinox.
YOU my friend are way off!
Jeff

All's you need is the 3.5mm to 6.35mm adapter or (1/8" to 1/4"). I bought mine on Amazon and my grey ghost work fine. Bought 2 for 10 bucks. Moborest 3.5mm to 6.35mm adapter