Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab etac coils

Stg76

Hi everyone im new to the forum and have been reading the threads and messages for a while so i had to join! I really enjoy metal detecting and started with a Dmc 2b by nautilis. Had a few other's makro racer, Garrett 2500, minelab xterra. Now I've gone to the etrac with the 11" stock im trying to get a bit more depth so been thinking about the x12 by sunray or the butterfly 10x12 detech also got a deal from kellyco on a 8 inch concentric by detech another guy on ebay has a 10x14 detech eq2 . I haven't bought anything yet! But im sure wanting to. Please any opinions appreciated. I like coins and relics not a lot of trash in my area just mild or some. Im in Virginia. Thanks

Howdy Stg76! Welcome aboard!:) I have an Se Pro and an Etrac. My personal favorite coils are the coils I have at the moment. They include the detech 6x8 sef, 10x12 sef, and the 13" ultimate, as well as the detech 6" excellerator. You might say I like detech search coils! If you want more depth than the stock coil the 10x12 sef or 13" ultimate will both get you there. I lean a little bit more on the ultimate. It seems lighter for one thing and really sounds off on those 9-10 inchers. I feel confident it will reach even deeper. Lots of guys love the sunray x12 as well. I've heard good things about the 10x14 detech eq2 and I'm looking around for one. That's one of the great things about the Explorer's and Etrac, there are so many great coils to choose from for any detecting scenario. By the way, we're neighbors. I'm in northeastern NC and I slip into Va for some hunts now and then. Good luck with your Etrac and whatever coils you choose.

Hi chipper97!! Thank you for posting yes were not far for sure . I'm gettin some late hunts with this moonlight! There seems to be a lot of consistency in the reviews on the 10x12 sef I'm probably going to lean towards it vs the x-12. I do like to adjust the sensitivity manually on my etrac i usually run 29 sensitivity and yes it definitely chatters. I hear the 10x12 sef can be run hot and still gives a good Id without falsing . Thanks

Stg76 be sure and check out "Equipment Reviews by Findmall Members" at the top of the board. There's a wealth of knowledge and experience to draw from. Bryce Brown's field tests of just about every search coil up until 2014 is really handy.

You did ask for opinions so...
The 'PRO' coil that you have is a darn fine coil. The ones you are looking at are maybe a tiny bit better in some areas. I think you'd be better off getting used to it and hunting for a couple months, then deciding what if any coil might do you better.
This is a do as I say not as I do suggestion.

pasttom said:
You did ask for opinions so...
The 'PRO' coil that you have is a darn fine coil. The ones you are looking at are maybe a tiny bit better in some areas. I think you'd be better off getting used to it and hunting for a couple months, then deciding what if any coil might do you better.
This is a do as I say not as I do suggestion.

I absolutely agree with Tom here. I'd love to steer you toward a big "this" or "that" but unless you have maxxed out your current coils capabilities in the places you hunt,I'd do just as he suggested and use the Pro coil to its fullest. Make sure you are OVERLAPPING RELIGIOUSLY! This is really the key,to get as much THOROUGH coverage of the ground possible,and from a few different angles throughout a site until you are satisfied you've done your best with what you have. Depending on WHAT you're hunting,there is NO reason to run with the screen wide open. Some will disagree and that's fine,there are different styles of hunting. Set your discrimination according to what you want to find,plus a bit. The machine knows what it's doing. Don't over-think it,swing thoroughly,coil on the grass and advance slowly. The coil you have is likely capable of much more than you know.
When you're all done with that,then a larger coil will get you more depth. For me,larger coils ID those targets better that were on the fringe of the stock coils depth. They can both "see" the target,the big coil just sees it better. There are of course the super deep targets only the larger coils will see clearly enough for you to investigate the signal.
This morning,with my CTX running the 13" wide coil,I hit a well worn 1920 Mercury dime in the same hole with a rusty 8 penny nail. Signal was a solid 12-46 with a distinct "clunk" in the audio. Both items were past 9" in thick black dirt. Even while that is a good find,I have no doubt the eTrac or my Explorer2 with the Pro coil would have also hit the targets and given me good enough ID to dig. While I do NOT own an eTrac,my Explorer2 also has an uncanny knack for deep coins,at relatively low sensitivity settings(18-22 manual).
Set the machine up so it's got a good stable threshold for whatever site you're in...go hunt.