Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab Etrac vs others?

north1

Owned an etrac since I believe 2012. It has exceeded my expectations since it’s unboxing. I hunt almost exclusively old farm sites that are absolutely infested with iron in all shapes and sizes. Hunting in two tone ferrous with a small sef 8x6 coil has produced more finds while retaining my sanity and preserving my knees and arms than any previous detector(whites, garret, minelab exterra, tesoro). I have been able to achieve great finds and dig very, very little iron now. Have to move painfully slow(10 seconds per swing) but that is much faster than stooping to dig iron all the time.

I love the ability of the etrac to give ferrous/conductive numbers simultaneously. Find this as invaluable information. Example: 12-21 (.22 shell casing). Could go on and on about different ratios of ferrous vs conductive numbers that provide for a valuable layer of info along with tones, depth, repeatability at angles, etc.

Due to the fact the etrac is no longer in production I have started looking at alternatives if I have a major problem. Are the DEUS II or Manticore comparable in heavy, HEAVY iron? Do the displays offer comparable information? A layer of usable information not just limited to tones, but also accurate meter readings?

Any other info I didn’t specifically cover would also be welcomed!!!

You are overlooking the obvious , if you are going to spend that kind of money , get the CTX with the added 6" coil or better yet , a used one with some warranty and additional coils for less than either of the ones you mentioned.

You are overlooking the obvious , if you are going to spend that kind of money , get the CTX with the added 6" coil or better yet , a used one with some warranty and additional coils for less than either of the ones you mentioned.
Some are selling the ctx and keeping the etrac......money difference in value.....5-6 hundred dollars more for a ctx ....even discontinued, the etrac is still capable of bring home the silver.

As others have already stated, the Etrac is going to be hard to replace. Minelab's FBS detectors ability to ID targets, in my opinion, is still the best out there.
You said that you mostly hunt in heavy iron. The XP detectors, ORX, Deus 1, Deus 2 are all made to excel in that arena. They are unmatched at seperating good targets from the iron trash. Much different tones than you are used to but those tones really tell you what's under the coil. If you like the flutey Minelab tones, the Nox 900 could probably suite your needs too. Good luck in your search.

I like my Etrac for getting better I.D. on deep silver dont false on iron as much .A few days ago I could hear two tagets close together high conductor next to low conductor decided to dig the low and it was foil turned my attention to the high dug a wheaty The point is I could here both targets.The same in working out iron dig it if you think there is non ferrous next to it.How many targets have I passed up dismissed as iron halo its about critical listening get a good pin point then swing if it moves most likely iron but possible an old seated dime that is masked waits P.S I would agree that the ORX is better in iron but where mid conductors are mixed in the notch system on the nox comes in handy,,,,,CEDAR