Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab Excalibur 800s will not be made anymore!

graytcote

The Excals with 8" coils are being discontinued. I think that is bad news for divers and for people that hunt trashy spots. Especially since the Excalibur is one of the best two detectors made for salt water. For those of you that have Excal 800s Minelab will of course honor their warranties and if your 8" coil needs replacing they will replace them with 8" coils until they run out of the 8' coils. They will then have to replace them with 10" coils. Minelab will still make and we will offer the Excals with 10" coils. I can still get Excal 800s now while Minelab still has some in stock. Call me at 918-906-9912 for your best deals. Indian Nations Detectors

You are right thats a shame since they seem to say they are for diving more than the style of hunting most of us do. This not only affects divers it affect those that have heavy wave action/current. Its a double whammy now that they also discontinued the Sov. Hopefully Ralph or some of the other companies will continue making 8" coils for the Sov that can be used on the Xcal. I just put an 8" on an Xcal and was going to sell it......... maybe i should rethink it and keep it around awhile...... might incease in value with this news. Thanks for the heads up.

Dew

That is really bad news for water hunters. The Excal II with the 8" slimline is a great setup. Not only great for trashy areas but much easier to push through the water and didn't wear you out. Seems like salt water hunters are having fewer options as time passes. I'm afraid we'll not see anything new introduced for a very long time and pulse machines are unusable in many areas.

RichW said:
That is really bad news for water hunters. The Excal II with the 8" slimline is a great setup. Not only great for trashy areas but much easier to push through the water and didn't wear you out. Seems like salt water hunters are having fewer options as time passes. I'm afraid we'll not see anything new introduced for a very long time and pulse machines are unusable in many areas.

Amen..

Seems the Big guys at Minelabs have forgotten what the Hobby is really about... I would seriously doubt if any of them have ever experienced using one on a regular basics or just a vacation.

Sad it is all about the bottom line.

I often wonder if the Excalibur's will be phased out like the Sovereign were is why they are not making the 8 inch coil, plus other companies are making the 8 inch coil and say it is better then the Minelab coil so the sales are not that great on the Minelab coils as it would get too expensive to make small batches of them.
If they are going to phase out the Excalibur like the Sovereign I hope they will be make a replacement as I heard the CTX 3030 was one of the first of that generation and understand they were going to use that platform to work on any new detectors. Don't know if it is true or not, but hope they make a detector that works like the Sovereign and Excalibur simple and easy to use, just got to learn to use them first.

Rick

I know we also lost the SunRay inline for the ET and Explorer because ML made it to expensive for Ralph to do any more. I do think this goes to show whose using the Xcal the most........ it aint divers so we need an quality up grade. Will just just phase out the Xcal and leave us with the pricy CTX that still has water issues? Ive still not found a water machine as good as the Xcal. I could certainly give them some advice on things needing to be upgraded. Better buy um up Joe because who knows how long the Sov coils will be available too. I personally like the Sov coils a bit better.

Dew

IMHO the PRESENT Owners of the Current MINELAB Co. was the W-O-R-S-T Thing that ever happened to MINELAB Customers!! Because, they are SO G-R-E-E-D-Y!! First, we had to DEAL with all their INCOMPETENCE with moving manufacturing from Northern IRELAND to MALAYSIA!! Then, REPLACING the EXCELLENT Excalibur/Sov. Repair Techs like
ROBERT with INEXPERIENCED and SOMEWHAT Incompetent Repair Techs in the Current ILLINOIS Repair Ctr.!! Also, the Current Policy of NOT R-E-P-A-I-R-I-N-G Early Models of EXCALS/SOV's and Early EXPLORER Models!! Thank GOD, KellyCO STEPPED UP to REMEDY some of these PROBLEMS!! End RESULT, forcing MINELAB CUSTOMERS to
B-U-Y Newer and Far More E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E replacement detectors, not to MENTION the O-U-T-R-A-G-E-O-U-S Pricing on REPLACEMENT Parts like WASHERS and BATTERY CONNECTORS/LOWER RODS and those RIDICULOUS, WORTHLESS Headphones!! That's why I keep HOPING that either WHITES or FIRST TEXAS comes out with a SALTWATER Detector that is as CLOSE to the SIMPLISTIC Operation and as much F-U-N to U-S-E as the EXCALIBUR Metal Detector!! WHITES and FIRST TEXAS, P-L-E-A-S-E
STEP-UP, and SEIZE this OPPORTUNITY!! Les Robinson.

I have been using the Excal for several years now but Minelab doesn't seem to care about the user so it would be nice if someone like White's or Garrett's would come up with an Excal of their own. I've got the 10" and it sure does get tiresome in those waves, was hoping to change to the 8" coil but if they r going to be discontinued what's the point?

I keep hoping they will upgrade the Xcal...... but ML keeps narrowing our options. They seem to want to reduce the hurd and sell high dollar machines that are in the shop more than in the water. I agree they had some really great people they let go. I also agree, IMO Kelleyco's better to deal with and gets the job done. Im not certain why Whites hasnt stepped up their game. They do have the V3 they could adjust to be a water machine. For most of us water hunters there just isnt a reason for hard wire coils and headphones now.

Dew

Rick,has a good point,which is Minelab going to phased out the Excalibur for a different water detector?I hope not because these problems could be fixed or improved with minor changes and expenses.HH Ron

Ron, im thinking ML believes they already have phased out the Excalibur, at least for the shallow hunter......... they believe the CTX is that machine. BUT its not dive capable and honestly ..........it dont like continuious salt water use that much either. Sale may have dropped on the Xcal because people are buying the CTX or buying a used Xcal. The CTX may be seeing more water time, but id dare say they still have an Xcal and if they are honest wont call the CTX the better water machine.

Dew

I have both the CTX and Excel, but to date after 2 years of ownership I have yet to get my CTX wet, I am too afraid, after reading so many complaints of water intrusion. Maybe I am overly concerned, but with out the benefit of warranty I am just scared. I know there are thousands of people getting the CTX wet, so maybe I should give it a whirl.

Seems its prone to coil shaft wear and now im hearing about a screen glitch. I suggest before you dunk it get the up graded gaskets some now have.