Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab excalibur question

bsa70

Getting back into the hobby after about 15 years. Going to buy a used excaliber, the first blue model. The on off switch is a little flakey. How easy are these to change out? The battery is dead. Any economical options on replacement.

It has the 10 inch coil and works great except for the intermittent switch. What is the value?

Hard since getting the correct Potentiometer is almost impossible. I would suggest KellyCo for the repair and last I heard the going rate was around 120 for the replacement. Maybe TreasureHunter can chime in on the price, he knows the tech Barry there....

The battery pack can be purchased from off of ebay for around 60.oo..

Being winter prices should be in the range of 600 to 700 then minus the 200.oo for repairs..

Good Luck..

Potentiometer are $10.00 each, labor is $75, and what ever the return shipping is.A new 1600 mah battery is $59.95, just the battery, not battery and pod, the pod is extra. Be sure it comes with the charging adapter as they are $75 to buy...

I highly recommend you send it to the Minelab repair center at kellyco and let them change out the pot and while it is there they could change out your O-rings, they will most likely need to be changed, New o-rings (17 total) are $8.00 and additional half hour labor ($37,50) if they are changing out the pot....

It may not seem high tech, but just disconnect the battery at the end of the hunt. I have had several Excals that had indistinct shut off positions and I just got in the habit of disconnecting the thing as I put it in the car and then recharging every third hunt.
Works for me!

Only problem with that Tom is ...... where the threshold is set in the on position. Threshold can have an impact on hearing or not hearing targets if not adjusted properly. Next question....... you sure its not the knob moving? Take it off...... see what happens when you adjust it without the knob. If it is ..... radio shack, get a larger one for a guitar with a set screw. Otherwise..... i cant stand BROKE..... Kellyco does great work.

Dew

I had great results with Kelly that fixed mine which had a broken end plug and water damage.

Dew, what does the threshold have to do here? I turn the knob to off before I 'pull the plug'. I set to 'skeeto' buzz when I hit the hunt next day. Did it sound like I just left it set and disconnected then reconnected without adjusting? Heavens no!
Yeah, should send one of my blues in for a coil and a check to Kellyco's commandos. I just need to manage my vast fortune better. Better yet I'll go fetch some gold tickets from the sand locker tomorrow!

Tom....... HE said HIS on off switch was iffy. That knob controls your threshold as you know....... if its stuck in a high/low position weak signals wont be heard. Thats why i said could just be a bad knob and to remove it and see if moving the stem made a difference. This was to him..... sorry for the confusion.

Dew