Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab GPX is as good as advertised!

soky72

I took my GPX 4500 out for the first time yesterday. I'd watched countless videos and read everything I could find before getting a gpx so I felt like I had a good jump on the machine. I'd picked up good relic settings here and the machine was a breeze to set up. The field behind my house has yielded some camp lead but it's full of iron and it's bushogged with staubs and hay covering the ground so a tough place for a test drive. I dug the first several tones all of it iron then I really clicked with the machine. Multiple passes and sometimes raising and lowering the coil would eventually give a slight click, blip, or blank. If it was clean then I'd kick away staubs and hay and try again, still clean I'd take a shovel of dirt and then deep iron would again blank and I wouldn't go any further. Finally got a clean tone amongst the nails, pulled a plug still sweet and clean, got the target out of the hole and it was still sounding smooth and out pops camp lead. The machines ability to discriminate is amazing! I really feel this machine is a game changer for me on my worn out Civil War sites. I will say being tethered to battery on the harness isn't going to fly, it drove me crazy and I ordered a box cover with the battery pouch and I'll try the bungee setup that came with it to lighten the load. If you're considering a gpx for relic hunting then I highly recommend trying one out!

When I hear a good tone I mark the ground with the toe of my boot then go around the target in a circle to make sure the target location does not move. If it stays were I marked it and the tone does not break up in that circle it is usually a good target. Jim

Finally got to take the 4500 out to one of my well hunted sites. I've previously used a F75 ltd at this site and have never found more than one piece of lead including camp lead on any one trip and that's probably only 60% of the time. Today was my best hunt ever with 11 pieces of lead and several modern bullets. Modern bullets are like pull tabs when using this machine.

WTG soky! It's definitely a go to unit to clean up a site given the right conditions.

Yeah being untethered is nice and I use the bungee fulltime and love it. Swing'n the 15x12 coil and having the screamer in the box cover, didn't take long for me to develop the ole tennis elbow, hooked up the bungee and can now swing it with a finger. You'll find a need to quickly disconnect the bungee when digging a target, so a little trick I did was cut a small piece out of the hook that attaches to the harness so I could easily flip it off the "D" ring without having to fiddle with it, which will make sense to ya once you try the setup out.

I like that tip Dave. Would make it much easier to pull off with gloves on

Yep I wear gloves and just reach up with a little smack and its unhooked, and really easy to re-hook.