Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab GPX on well pounded sites?

soky72

I've heard the GPX machines really bring old sites alive again. I'm curious to hear your experiences in those situations. I consider it a good day if I find a piece of camp lead at most of my sites, in fact I've found a couple of buttons and several pieces of round shot of various size and caliber but no three ringers with my F75 ltd but I feel like stuff is still there.

Soky what I have seen on some of my units is that high mineralized ground can produce a iron grunt on a good target at depth. Especially lead bullets. Have used the GPX in these areas that stopped giving up CW relics for me and others and got schooled. Due to the high mineralized ground some of the targets were not deep at all, the dirt was jacking with the other units and reading iron. Then there are the targets that were beyond the depth other units could read properly much less even pick up.

The GPX in my case HAS brought sites back to life and it will stay part of my arsenal of units. Just like any other tool there will be a place and time it will be needed.

Only machine i use on pounded sites, GPX 5000.

But in thick iron, vlf for sure. Otherwise, GPX nothing else comes close when relic hunting.

Paul

Most definitely. The location I went to today has been heavily hunted and rarely has finds coming out. Also given the fact that the ground is highly mineralized to the point that
units I've tested here gave an iron grunt on good targets. No more testing, I used the GPX for this hunt.

Some will say well that's not much of nothing...when others will not go there because it's "hunted out", I'd say it was a good day and I had fun doing it.

Good hunt Tom,

That was a good hunt especially from a pounded site, masking from mineralztion is effecting even the best vlf.

GPX sees through the masking. It's hard going back to vlf out in the cleaner areas because you know it can't compeat with a GPX.

WTG,
Paul

Paul I think masking from the ground is what kept these there so long for sure.

All I need now is one of your rod mods to pack in with lol

HH Paul

Hello Tom,

I've tried both the Deus and Mars shaft on the GPX, both are equal but the Mars shaft was tougher to mount the control box on. The GPX mounting bracket was a bear to mount on, not so much with the Deus.

I can't see myself going back to the original Minelab shaft setup, first day with the original the handle broke off. That's when the Deus shaft came into play, from there switched over to the same deus type Mars setup.

Good luck with the GPX, they are terrfic for relic hunting.

Paul

Yes I too nominate the GPX for cleaning up those pounded CW sites for that matter any site that's not iron and nail laden,,,the 5000 is my weapon of choice when the blog have given all they can.

Soky hunted three more days over there and here is what came from the site they called hunted out lol. The group px are of day two and three. Today's hunt is still in the tackle box waiting to be cleaned but pulled a round ball, some more buck n balls and two more pistol bullets. Think about all the pounded sites you've stopped hunting. Go back, there's more I'd bet bud. HH

The 5000 goes really deep. Goes even deeper with one of the latest flat wind coils by either Coiltek or Nugget Finder. Adds inches extra depth. Turns an awesome machine into a weapon.

I too have had the f75 ltd for years. I got a gox 4500 a month ago for the same reason you asked about. I stopped getting much production at my sites that have been hunted for decades but the gpx brought them back to life. Digging minie balls at depths the f75ltd couldnt hit. Gpx is the best relic detector that ive ever used. Well worth the money imo.

That's what I want to hear! I got a 4500 gpx coming to me in the mail right now and am anxious to hit some spots. What kind of setting do you run?

:beers:

soky take the time to really understand the unit. A lot of folks pick up a unit...out of the box and out they go. Weeks later it's for sale because it don't do what they thought. GPX is a relic hunters dream IMO

Plenty of guys on here to ask Q's to when you have them, most of the Q's I had was found in SEARCH with some great tips. Don't worry about all the settings and pushing the unit, run factory and learn the unit in your test garden and go from there bud.

Keep us posted and HH

Thanks 3Ringer! Got my well worn 4500 in lat night. I picked it up pretty cheap from a propspector but it was filthy dirty and scratched all to hell but he assured me it ran as it should. I cleaned on it and all its components for 2-3 hours last night, charged the battery, and took it outside for about 10 minutes with some settings I'd picked up here and another forum which were almost identical. It was so easy to set up and it sounded great. I was beside an industrial area and it gave the blanking and warbling I'd expect from an iron rich place with one classic sweet sounding target or sweet as those I've heard in videos online. I didn't have a shovel and it might have been iron but it definitely rang smooth unlike all the other targets. I'm thrilled so far and hope I can convert those nice tones into relics!

I'll be the first one to say the minelab GPX detectors are the deepest I've ever used. It's put over 350 bullets in my collection this year so far at beaten spots. HH

Digger70pa said:
I'll be the first one to say the minelab GPX detectors are the deepest I've ever used. It's put over 350 bullets in my collection this year so far at beaten spots. HH

What type of depths are you getting these bullets on average with the GPX,assuming its with the stock 11'' DD coil or are you using another coil,just trying too get some indication of a average depth.

Mega said:

What type of depths are you getting these bullets on average with the GPX,assuming its with the stock 11'' DD coil or are you using another coil,just trying too get some indication of a average depth.
I'm using the 15" ultimate spiral coil. I've dug bullets as deep as 15" in the ground. I dug a few today in the 14" range. I measured them with my pinpointer. That's not taking into account of air gap either. That's in the ground. With the stock coil I was getting 12"-13" depth. If & when I get in to a place with no emi the depth potential is great. HH