Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab ProFind video

Gonehunting

I got the ProFind today and here's a video on it..
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmM-K6mdWxo[/video]

Nice Evan. Just what I was looking for!

Well done.

Thx,
Albert

Great video comparison, thanks. I've got a few questions, points, but please don't think I'm knocking the video because it was more than we could ask for and I appreciate that as I'm sure others do....

First, the Garrett sounded a bit sick, like a platic vibration when it made sound. How used and abused is it? I can say my Pro Pointer doesn't vibrate like there is a broken plastic sound like that. Some having reported less performance after being dropped badly or such and the sound gets sick like it appears (?) in the video. I've dropped my Pro Pointer from about 6 foot unto hard cement about three different times getting my holster belt from a high shelf. I'm careful about that now, but my point is the thing still sounds and works like day one. That tells me a lot about it's build quality.

Second, I'm pretty sure I get much more than 1" on a dime with mine. Some have already reported on the web their Pro Pointer is getting more depth for them than the Minelab. Not sure which way to believe it. Either some Pro Pointers are better at depth than others, or some of these Minelabs are not getting the depth of others. It has to be one or the other because of the mixed depth reports. I will say thus far keeping a running tally in my head more have said the Pro Pointer is getting more depth for them than the Minelab, but that's just an impression as it's not like I've been keeping score on a note pad, so I could be wrong but that seems to be the impression I've got thus far from various sites. Roughly maybe 2 or 3 more reports of the Pro Pointer getting more depth than the Minelab maybe. Not a scientific thing, of course, so the reverse could be true in opinions.

Third, I really wish you would have supertuned the Pro Pointer to see if it'll get more depth than the Minelab on it's highest setting, and then also compared them both super tuned. Super tuning (or de-tuning too) is so easy on the Pro Pointer that I do it one handed. I used to have a washer tied to a string hanging from the back of the Pro Pointer. Now I use something better and even easier, but the washer thing as real easy too. All one handed, used, and put back in the holster without needing to use my right hand (I'm right handed).

Fourth, I've heard some say the Minelab isn't as loud nor does it vibrate as strongly as the Pro Pointer. Any opinion on that? I like to pull one ear muff off a bit so I can hear the Garrett better, so less volume is a concern to me. I prefer both sound and vibration, so the switch to turn off the audio isn't an issue for me. Some put tape or something over the speaker to get rid of the audio if they don't want it, but I found that if you put your thumb over the speaker it shuts it right up too if I ever wanted to do that.

Final thing. I'd like to see some in ground tests, as one might get more depth than the other with a ground load.

Not knocking your video. You did an awesome job so thanks a bunch. Just hoping others will do some videos that touch on more of these things so I (and others) can see if it's worth the jump from the Pro Pointer.

I'm glad to see you appear to have tested them away from any house or EMI, because I find my Garrett seems to get less depth in the house and think it's a EMI issue when it auto adjusts at power up. People also have to watch to make sure they do the tests right after power up, because I hear both units drift and get more sensitive the longer they have been on. Most of us are using it right after we turn it on, so that's the most important aspect during depth testing.

Unless I see clear and severe depth advantage I'm not spending the extra money. Couldn't be happier than I am with the Pro Pointer, and I'm not the biggest Garrett fan either but I do think the AT Pro is a fantastic value for a land/water machine and will add one to my line up one day. They caught my attention when I saw how good the Pro Pointer was.

One day a friend brought his new "gift" Pro Pointer from his wife on a hunt. When he told me how much she paid for it (north of $100), I chuckled to myself and thought "No pin pointer is worth that much money, she got taken." That was until I used that thing in the field that day. Wasn't long before I had one. Gone were the days of other pin pointers that were more hassle to tune than to just dig the target without one. That's another thing I'm curious about the Minelab. Is it going to prove more "touchy" in the field? I guess time will tell. Sure, on rare occassions with bad soil the Garrett will false on the ground matrix, but an easy fix is to turn it on with the tip touching the ground and it auto adjusts to it.

ProPointer was purchased in May.. haven't dropped it.. the rattle you hear is it sitting on the cross tie. That's why I had to hold it still.. It has a very good vibration motor in it. I did supertune both by using the coin trick.. the ProFind was still deeper.. I just left it out of the video because while filming I didn't realize I had let the ProFind slide over the first mark and I could hear the "that's how it got more depth" jokes. Yes, if you use the coin trick is does have more depth than the ProFind's highest setting.
Yes it is quieter than the ProPointer, and the vibration is not as strong. I sent a message to Minelab and questioned this but have not heard a reply as of yet.. It seemed like when the volume was muted the vibration was stronger, but it may be just me.. Tested it at the button hole this morning for 2 hours and the soil(red clay) it did hit on a couple of pieces of lead that the ProPointer didn't see. Supertuned the Garrett hit them.. Be sure when you power it up, you get to long beeps and a chirp. If you don't hear the chirp there is probably a piece of metal close to the pinpointer. The You can test this by turning on the ProFind with a piece of metal touching the probe. You will hear the two long beeps but the chirp won't sound till you remove the metal.. Not sure that is of importance but I had turned it on once this morning and the profind was hitting past 4 inches without any help and I have not been able to duplicate it since.. I had that on vid but I think I deleted it while I was cutting the film.. I am heading back out right now and will answer more questions after dark 30.. lol GH

First, thanks for answering some questions, and great video once again! :thumbup:

OK, just tested my Pro Pointer with a ruler on a clad dime. Keep in mind it's been used and abused and dropped, although it seems to work like the day it was new. The battery isn't new like yours and probably has about two months of use on it. Don't know if these things have voltage regulators to make that a non-issue. Also keep in mind this was in my backyard, and I have a power line running right over head. A clad dime also isn't as conductive as a silver one, so all these above things could shorten the numbers for the Pro Pointer perhaps a bit. I did the test in the grass, as cement can have rebar under it and alter things.

I powered up and did both tests right after, so no drift of higher sensitivity could take place as others elsewhere have noted with both these pinpoints I believe. Some say they get more sensitive the longer they are on due to drift. Normal hunting conditions means using right after powering up, so that's how I did the test.

Normal operation- 1 & 1/4" on the clad dime. That's 1/4" deeper than your test of your Pro Pointer that showed 1".

You said the Minelab got 1 & 1/2" for your first test which you didn't say but I think was 4 clicks up from lowest gathering by how many beeps down you went later on (4)? I think you did beep it four times when you lowered it, and then the longer beep tells you you can't go any further down but still doesn't equal another setting drop? That means the Minelab is only 1/4" deeper at it's 4th highest setting.

Your highest setting, which I believe was 5 clicks up based on the beeps I heard (?) was a just A TAD over 1 & 1/2", so the Garrett was only roughly a tad over 1/4" less in depth than your highest setting. That 1/4" difference could easily be due to me testing near EMI, or the fact I'm using a clad dime instead of a silver one, or that my Garrett has been through the wringer while the Minelab is brand new maybe?

Supertuned- 3". Wow! That's more than I thought I'd get. Judging from your video the Minelab also got 3" about in depth super tuned, so it appears super tuned they are equal. That's probably the clincher for me, because I don't want to mess with various sensitivity buttons. If I need extra depth I just super tune and it appears it matches the Minelab supertuned. Keep in mind I was using a clad dime too while you were using a large token, so the Pro Pointer probably would have gave me more than that 3" even.

Also keep in mind for both these pin pointers that these are air tests and not with an actual coin in the ground. Besides having the potential for a halo, the very ground load could push the pinpointer more towards the edge of sounding off, so I suspect at least for normal unsupertuned operation the depth of both pinpointers might be a bit more.

One more reminder, my battery being a few months old (that should only make a difference is the Pro Pointer doesn't use a voltage regulator), my clad dime (versus silver), my proximity to EMI producing lines right over head, and the fact that I still used the clad dime for the super tuning versus that large token could have all altered these tests for me, not to mention my Pro Pointer has had a rough life while the Minelab is brand new.

At this point, the lack of more depth of the Minelab super tuned (and probably less depth if I had used a large token as my target too), combined with what I've heard of it's weaker audio and vibration (from some), I think I'll stick with the Pro Pointer until I see more that says otherwise, which very well may happen.

I'm a Minelab guy so I'm not knocking the thing. I just haven't seen anything yet that shows me more depth here when super tuned, and the slight 1/4" increase at the 4th and 5th setting non-supertuned isn't going to make me take the leap yet. Detuning is as easy on the Pro Pointer as super tuning so I'm not worried about being able to do that with a button too much.

I await more Pro Pointer/Minelab video comparisons, as many variables can alter results. Your video was an EXCELLENT head start on that regardless, so I thank you again for doing it. :thumbup: Once again, thanks for taking the time to make the video and also to answer some questions. I'm sure many will like what they see for various extras such as being able to turn off the audio and take the jump for that reason alone maybe.

We need others to test the Pro Pointer with a silver dime for comparisons to mine, as well as using a large token as the target when super tuned to judge more either way here on the Pro Pointer's exacting performance under more similar conditions, but I think it held it's own nicely even with some possible handicaps in my tests.

You say the rattle is due to the cross tie, but I heard it rattle when you had it in the air when turning it on. I own two GPPs, one right at 2 years old,and it's rattled for a while. The second one is very new, no rattle at all, and gets a quarter inch better depth on a clad dime than the GPP unit that rattles. I'd wonder if a brand new one would maybe be even better. To be totally apples to apples on a vid comparison, I think we'd need to have both pointers factory out of the box for a quarantee, as the Minelab was in this case. I've read just the opposite review on depth comparison between the two, saying the GPP beat the Profind. I am nit-pickin I guess. martin

I've been surfing the net and most Garrett guys are saying 1 & 1/4" on a dime. I wonder if that's a clad dime or a silver, because that could make the difference. My Pro Pointer is doing the same on a clad dime, 1 & 1/4" right after power up, so it appears that's probably the norm for Garretts with a few getting less and perhaps some more, but I wonder if the ones getting more are after it's been on for a while and getting more sensitive as that can happen. Normal use is right after power up, so it should be done that way to test, outside away from EMI, and with a silver dime to compare to the video above where he uses a silver dime.

Also, those few reporting less depth than 1 & 1/4" might be to use and abuse or testing in the house where there is EMI, but the norm appears 1 & 1/4" on the Pro Pointer on at least a clad dime. That jives with mine, and I find that respectable, not to mention am wowed by 3" on that clad dime when super tuned. I knew it worked well and super tuned often in the field when the need arised, but I never measured it to see it was a fat 3", and as said is probably more in the ground or on a bigger coin.

Here's another video of the Minelab. I saw on another forum this guy said it was set to it's highest setting, so it appears to be getting the same depth as the other Minelab video above in this thread...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrBstP9GajQ&feature=player_detailpage

Because they both jive with each other depth wise at max, it appears that might be the norm for a Minelab. Now we need more Pro Pointer guys to test with a silver dime regular and super tuned to judge the norm more for ours, and do it outside away from EMI and right after power up. Do NOT move it near the coin until it stops beeping after power up. You can detune it that way. Wait for it to finish it's power up beeps.

The above video of the Minelab shows the same 1 & 1/2" of the other Minelab video on a dime. Notice it did get more depth on pennies and nickles, but so does this video below of the Pro Pointer...

Notice the Pro Pointer gets about 1 & 1/4

Just got my Pro Find today,yet to use in the field.The handle has a more bulky feel than the Garrett,but seems to air test better.Later Ron

Here is another nice review. Hope you don't mind adding it here Evan as it is nice to have them together...

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uisF7fWYeFc&feature=em-subs_digest[/video]

That's fine its a way to keep them all together.

I just did my Pro Pointer super tune re-testing using a large copper or brass token to try to match the size of the target used on the Minelab in the Gonehunting video, where as before I posted that I used a clad dime as my target and still matched the 3" he got when we both super tuned.

Anyway, with the token looking to be about the size of the one he used in his test, I'm now getting about 5" in depth most of the time (of course measured with a ruler as I did before). I turned off/on the Pro Pointer several times and re-did the test. Sometimes it would begin to sound off at about 5 & 1/2", sometimes it would sound off at about 4 & 1/2", and most of the time when turning off/on and testing it was 5".

I did this test as I did my prior tests in this thread by doing it outside away from EMI as best as I could in my backyard, although there are power lines above me. As noted before my battery is probably two to three months old already if that makes a difference as I don't know if the Pro Pointer has a voltage regulator in it to stabilize the voltage conditions. I also did this test today as I did with the other test before by laying the Pro Pointer on the ground in the grass on it's side pointing right at the tip of the ruler, so that the Pro Pointer is being "washed" in the ground load, as ground loads might change conditions maybe.

I also did the test, as before, right after turning it on, as these pin pointers are prone to drifting after a little bit of time and getting more sensitive. Most people are using a pin pointer right after power up under normal hunting conditions so I feel that is important when testing.

I'm sure depths of both these pin pointers can change when actually used to find targets in the ground, but the air testing is a good way to judge the raw power of both in terms of sensitivity as a general rule of thumb.

By the way, whoever mentioned that these pin pointers drift out of tune faster when they are hot is right. It's hot out and my Pro Pointer was in the hot garage and felt very warm to the touch. I let it set powered up a few times to see how fast it would start to false on it's own just sitting there and it was much faster then what I usually experience in the field. Often in the field I'll leave it laying for quite some time while digging in a hole and it doesn't very often start falsing from drift being on. An easy way to avoid those issues is just to turn the darn thing off until you need to use it again on a hot day if it's drifting faster. Better for the battery life anyway.

Which brings up another question. I wonder how good of battery life the Minelab is going to get compared to the Pro Pointer? Right now I get close to a year I think out of a 9V in my Pro Pointer. Somebody should do some amp draw checks on both of them, both without a target present and also when sounding off. That should be a good indicator of battery life. I may check my Pro Pointer's amp draw here sooner or later and will post what I find under load and non-load conditions. The Minelab should have the audio and vibrate both on so we are comparing apples to apples here in terms of component load.

I had a real life problem in the field after using a much larger item to super tune the ProPointer. I could get super distance in air, like you got as well, but when I probed a hole the PP went off anywhere I probed all over the hole. I retried several time on other holes and had the same thing happen, so I went back to the nickel. I'll have to try it again with both ProPointers. It was useless those times I tried it in the field though. martin

I didn't use a large token (about the size of a large cent) to super tune it. The token was my target, just like he used in the video. I have a device on my Pro Pointer to super tune it easily, but I didn't use that and just used a small washer slid up the shaft to where it just started to sound off, then backed it off a bit. I've used that method many times in the field and it gives you variability in terms of how high or low you want to super tune. I had the Pro Pointer on it's side, slide the small washer up the shaft until it just started sounding off, then backed the washer off a bit until it stopped falsing. That's my normal procedure in the field and it works great. Then obviously picked up the large token and began to bring it closer to the tip and had the token riding right on top of the ruler to accurately gage the distance. Same as the other day with the clad dime, and I got 3" with that clad dime (and using the small washer to super tune), matching the depth he got with the large token as the target.

Also, these tests were done with the pro pointer laying on it's side in the grass so it's under a ground load, because when you super tune a pin pointer in the air it can sound off just by touching it to the ground due to the ground load pushing it over the edge it's riding super tuned. That's why my normal procedure when out in the field is to super tune in the air and then touch the tip to the ground first to see if it sounds off falsely before I use it in the hole to find the target. How do you know if it's sounding off to the targer or the ground load? By touching the tip on the ground BEFORE using it in the plug. If it sounds off from the ground then just use your thumb to slide the washer back a bit more until it stops making noise. Now it's supertuned and adjusted to the ground matrix so as not to sound off falsely. That's why I had the Pro Pointer laying on it's side with these tests in the grass, to make sure the ground signal was coming into play here, and that I wasn't super tuning it in the air well beyond the sensitivity it could handle when used on the ground. See what I mean? In air testing you might be able to super tune for a lot more depth but it's useless when it touches the ground and has to be backed off, so pure air testing is flawed.

My other trick is that even when I think it's super tuned right (by adjusting to being silent when the tip is touching the ground), if I do get a signal in the hole then what I'll do is move the tip to the other side of the hole and see if it's still sounding off. If it is then back the washer off a hair more as you are getting a false ground the ground load. Then move it back to the spot you suspect is real and see if it repeats with a hair less of supertune. If it does then it's for sure the target. Actually, usually if I get a hit I'll just move the Pro Pointer away (important when adjusting super tune) and then back off the washer a hair more and then move the tip back to that spot and see if it still is sounding off. Either method works to rule out a false due to riding supertuning too high.

All this might seem complex but it's not. It's easy, without even needing to put thought into it while doing it, and only takes a few seconds. Using the Pro Pointer with one hand it's easy to just grab the washer by the string that's tied to the back of the Pro Pointer hanging down and just...All this is done by just using your thumb on the same hand you are holding the Pro Pointer. Two hands aren't needed. With practice it becomes second nature without even thinking.

One more point...The size of the target you are using to super tune is meaningless anyway. You are only pushing the sensitivity just just enough to the edge of sounding off, so the size of it don't matter to supertune with. Although, it's much easier to adjust super tune with a small object like a washer, because it gives you more "scale" as you slide the object up or down the shaft with your thumb to adjust just how sensitive you want it to be. Using this method, in reality you have much more "scale" in sensitivty adjustment then the 5 levels of sensitivity setting on the Minelab I would figure. Supertuning is more of an analog "sliding" scale thing where as 5 levels are more of a yes/no type of deal.

That's why if I get the Minelab I know I won't even mess with the 5 levels. I'll turn it to highest level and only supertune for scale as needed. About the only time I could see myself using the 5 levels on the Minelab would be to turn it all the way down so I can separate multiple targets or trace the shape of a target out, but I can do that now by just de-tuning the Pro Pointer.

You do that by turning it on after the washer is slid up the shaft a bit. Once it's on, you simply get the washer out of the way as it's no longer needed as it's already Auto adjusted at power up and de-tuned it's self due to the close proximity of the washer, where as with supertuning the washer of course should only be slid up the shaft after turning the Pro Pointer on and has to remain in the desired place on the shaft as that's the only thing pushing the Pro Pointer near the edge of sounding off.

Obviously most of you guys know this stuff, but I see still people asking how to super or de-tune, so I figured I'd throw it out there one more time...

Here is part II of that test - a field test. The Pro-Find did terrible. Evan & others - I'd like to know if you found the same thing to be true in the field with yours.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCGAhi_2HcI&feature=g-u-u[/video]

Wow, thanks for posting that video Earthmansurfer...First actual field test head to head I've seen or at least watched thus far. The Garrett sures seems to be getting deeper in the ground even when the Minelab is at it's highest setting, and with neither one super tuned on numerous targets. Wish he would have super tuned them both to judge stuff, but if my tests are any indication it looks like the Pro Pointer is also deeper on super tuning (from my air test compared to the first video in this thread).

Also, is it just me or does the Minelab take a bit longer to be ready at power up with three beeps or something? I heard this mentioned once so far somewhere but am too tired to really judge the timing on both at power up right now in the video. If it is true that the Minelab takes a hair longer to be ready at power up that's a minor concern of mine because as it is I find myself waiting a bit at power up with the Garrett to finish it's beeping so I can stick it in the plug and start trying to locate a target. That small delay might be nit picking to some but it can get annoying even with the shorter (perhaps?) wait of the Garrett.

I see my friend often sticking the Pro Pointer in the plug for the target before it even stops beeping, and I fear if you do that you may de-tune the pinpointer because it might be still auto tuning and thus de-tune due to close proximity to metal.

I'm shocked at that video. Not only was the Pro Pointer deeper, but it seems like it has much stronger audio on targets when both seem to be able to hit something shallow well. I have heard the Minelab has a weaker vibration and that wearing gloves it's an issue, so I'm curious about the audio now too having listened to them both in a field hunt like that. Just seems the Garrett is more "robust", even on target(s) that were shallower and the Minelab seems to hit just as well on.

Thanks again for the video. Maybe he got a dud? We need another video of comparisons in the field on an actual hunt to judge. If that one turns out the Minelab is deeper then either this guy above had a dud, or the guy in the next video had a bad Pro Pointer. :biggrin: That's probably why you need at least 3 videos to draw any kind of firm conclusions from 3 different users. I know, picky picky...:biggrin:

Well, you probably saw on that other forum that a user said that that response from the Minelab Pro-Find was typical for him and his friend. So, I don't believe it was a dud. I have decided to wait it out and see what happens as the Garrett Pro-Pointer is working great and I don't want to push to find something better considering the early reports. Perhaps Minelab will make some improvements to the Pro-Find and quick like, because if this is what users are to expect (and for more money) I just don't see the features (brighter light and warning beep) really being worth anything, though I do think the brighter light is great but it doesn't outweigh disadvantages you mentioned Critter. The sensitivity adjustment will more than likely never be used by me, except to leave it on high.

And yes, I noticed the power-up of the Minelab to be longer when I first saw some videos of it. I think that might be a bit of an annoyance, but not anywhere near the deal breaker like the actual performance is! It is a bit odd that Minelab has had years to work on this and it seems to be not be as good as the Garrett.

Here is another video showing the Pro-Find doing (maybe) better than the Garrett in volcanic soil. But, I think they should have just turned the Garrett on while close to the soil in order for it to detune to it.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR9GVbBM04s&feature=em-share_video_user[/video]

Good points. Wierd the Minelab did better in that valconic soil, as I read somewhere (in this thread maybe?) that the Minelab was tending to false in red soil, but I don't know if they meant because they were putting pressure on it (which the Garrett will then false too) or if it was from the soil. Nobody should be pushing the tip with any kind of pressure into the soil as that isn't going to help depth because it's not a knife anyway. :biggrin: I also feel if people keep abusing a pin pointer like that it might distort the windings to a point where they won't flex back into proper alignment anymore and cause instability issues or at least faster instability due to drift. I never lean on my Pro Pointer and I suspect those few having problems with it falsing even right at power up have been abusing it maybe by poking hard into the plugs trying to dig in there and hear the target. I wouldn't do that. Just super tune if you can't hear it. Why take the risk of it degrading performance down the road?

After watching that last video again two points- What's with the stuff he had wrapped around the Garrett? That would kill the sound a good bit and not give it the appearance of hitting as strong on targets. Second, like you mentioned for sure he just needed to turn the Pro Pointer on with the tip touching the ground so it auto tunes to that volcanic soil and won't false in it. Rarely when the soil makes my Pro Pointer false due to really bad ground or hot rocks/sand I just turn it on with the tip touching the ground and problem solved. Also, I think he did turn down the Minelab to get rid of falsing with it too or did I see that wrong?

Another great video though, so thanks for posting it. Enough of these videos from other people comparing them and we should know which one is the right choice for our needs. I couldn't be happier with the Pro Pointer though. That thing MAKES detecting a fun sport and not an excercise in frustration. If I couldn't use a good pin pointer like this anymore I'd probably give the hobby up, or at least resort to just water/beach hunting with a scoop. It's that important to me now.

Critter - Yes, I noticed that too, all those wrappings must have affected things and altered what we saw. That was very clear to me when I watched it.

I got my new Garrett PP today and the sidekick "supertuner" is on the way. That will give me more than enough depth and simplify things a great deal. I really wanted that Minelab Pro-find to do the trick but it looks like outside of the brighter light, the unit, for the money, is not really better than the Garrett (definitely not when you add the Sidekick on). Perhaps, and hopefully so, they tweak things and make it what it could have been.

Albert