Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab Repair Update

Hi Neil,

The point I was trying to make is even though it has never been used parts do go bad from age more than use. I also feel that a detector 10 years old can be more dependable than some 3 years old and in the case of the Sovereigns they are very dependable and they do last. I am sure being some are over 10 years old some electronic parts are not being made anymore like some of the IC chips as they are obsolete , but over all i am sure Minelab can and will repair anything they have or can get parts for.

I have been a LOYAL MINELAB Owner since Nov. 2000, and presently own (3) MINELAB Detectors!! But, I have NO INTENTIONS at ths time of buying ANYMORE MINELAB
Detectors, as long as they CONTINUE TO MAKE MAJOR SCREW-UP in their POLICY DESISIONS!! First and the WORST Decision they made was to GET RID of Dick Shultz!! I personally feel he was
the BEST ASSET that company had!! You could always talk to him, even if it took him a day or two to get back to you. Then, the New MINELAB CO. decided that they were not
going to put Aftermarket Equipment on their EXCALIBURS - - - ANYMORE!! Now, this MAJOR NEW POLICY CHANGE!! If WHITES ELECTRONICS & TESORO ELECTRONICS
can continue to repair their detectors, and ALOT OF THEM are OLDER than 10yrs., then why can't MINELAB!! I have the UTMOST RESPECT for RICK (ND), and I consider him a
VERY GOOD FRIEND, but RICK I got to DISAGREE with you on MINELAB'S Position!! For the record, I own (2) of the Older Model EXCALIBURS (Gary Storm Models), and it will
BREAK MY HEART to replace them with another manufacturer!! But, if MINELAB can't repair them at a FAIR PRICE & COMPETENTLY!! Then, I will be DONE with MINELAB!!
I also have a SOV-GT, but I guess I'm safe for a few yrs. with THAT ONE!! In my opinion, I hope a CREDIBLE AMERICAN Metal Detector Co. WILL BUY MINELAB out!! WHITES
or TESORO Please Come To The RESCUE!! HH. Les Robinson

Maybe well GET LUCKY, and one of the VERY REPUTABLE American Metal Detector Co's, that still CARES ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMER BASE, will purchase their metal detecting side of their business!! And at least keep their Basic Technology in play and then IMPROVE ON IT!! HH, Les Robinson

After reading the various posts, some understanding Minelab

In the case of TV's, telephones and other consumer electrics the models change each year and quite often in batches, therefore it would be imposible to keep a stock for 10 years for each one, most repairers here just whip out the main board and in with a new one.
How many new detectors have minelab brought out in the last 10 years? 4-5 Sovs, 4 explorers, etrac, quattro, 2 excaliburs(other than headphone change) and the xterras GPseries, at most 35 models covering the whole product range. Some are basically firmware changes in the chip, easilly programmed, 2 Sov GT's that i opened look identical to the elite the only diference i could see was the main chip was marked elite but diferent number.

Anyway to keep a number of spare boards for each model shouldn't be that expensive, when a repair comes in, whip in a new board to get the customer in buisness again and repair the old one at leasure to go back in stock for a latter use, In ships electronics, radars etc most boards are exchange for this reason.
Very few companies make their own boards and they are cheep to make in quantities, just look at the price of some PC motherboards, you can get them for peanuts(at retail) and far more complicated than a detector board.
this sort of thing would keep the customer happy and probably loyal

Just my opinion

Setting a fixed time limit is not a good policy.

I think a much better policy would be to simply fix what they can.
If the parts are there ... fix it ... if no parts are available then dont fix it.

kered said:
Very few companies make their own boards and they are cheep to make in quantities, just look at the price of some PC motherboards, you can get them for peanuts(at retail) and far more complicated than a detector board.

Just my opinion

Yes ... But ... PC's are made by the thousands.
Do you think there have been 10 thousand Excalibur detectors sold.
Five thousand?

Pc mainboards are made by lots as things change in the computer world so fast not as many as you would think, hence they all have version, sometimes its only a bios update but often components but smaller lots, the Excalibur hasn't changed that much in years, (although we can't see the innards to verify) in 10 years how many variations of sovereigns compared to say HP computers have been made? As to how many Excaliburs made no idea, but 5 thousand worldwide maybe

I just bought a second hand Minelab XS-2A Pro - not sure how old the unit is - have not received it yet.

Can anyone tell me if this unit will be repaired and for how long?

Thanks,

Tim

TJPHILLY2 said:
I just bought a second hand Minelab XS-2A Pro - not sure how old the unit is - have not received it yet.

Can anyone tell me if this unit will be repaired and for how long?

Thanks,

Tim

Here is the deal, Tim.
You just bought a very good detector.
Yes, it is old but it is well made with quality parts.
I would not be surprised that you never have an issue with it as long as you take care of it.
Minelab did not get to where they are by making junk.
I am sure you will like it and if you decide to sell or trade it you should not have any problems.
About the only part you will ever need to replace is the coil and there are lots of them available used.

In regards to my previous post on this matter, it has been brought to my attention, from someone employed at First Texas, that Fisher still does and has been doing repairs on their older models;

This is simply not true- Fisher still repairs and always has repaired virtually all the old Fisher units and we even honor all the lifetime warranties from the original Fisher. There are very few detectors made by Fisher within the last 25 years that we are unable or unwilling to service.

I tried to locate the previous posting where I obtained some of my information on them not repairing original Fisher products and can not seem to find them. Also, I obtained information from one source who does own the older Fisher products, which stated they would no longer repair his unit, but that is word of mouth. For putting out the information about Fisher without being able to produce credible evidence, I do apologize. I only hope the best metal detector manufactures carry on with all reasonable repairs and if the above statement from the individual from First Texas holds true, I praise them for helping to keep this hobby moving.

I sent a 1265 to fisher about 6 mos after first texas bought them. They said they would fix anything wrong with it for $100. I was well pleased with their work.

Surely thy will not do this.

Why but any ML detector that is mor than 6 or 7 yrs old? If they do this they will be making a really stupid business decision. Why spend big bucks on a machine that will be junk if it breaks after 10 years? Think about it... 10 yrs isn't that long. My SovGT will be 10 yrs old in a few years... what a drag. Of course I know someone who can fix a Sovereign, if he can get the parts. Maybe it will be an opportunity for another business to make aftermarket parts.

I really like my -TRAC and my Sovereign but if they do this I will think twice before spending anymore money with them. A company that leaves it's customers to twist in the wind is not the sort of company I want to do business with.

Now... I have only read the OP, if it turns out that they do not do this thn I will reconsider.

Frankly, I am also unhappy with their decision to move their facility from Ireland to Malaysia. Take it for what it's worth but it mean's somthing to me. Money isn't everything and the people who buy Minelabs usually are not fussing about the price, we are happy to pay for quality. The Explorer and the ET are both SOLID well built machines, sure the lower rods cost a little more because of the whole coil inside the shaft thing BUT... for me it is well worth it. I absolutely LOVE to be able to reach down, flip the flipper, and lengthen or shorten the shaft. When working up and down a slight grade it is a wonderful thing.

If they start making cheaper less well built machines... they will lose their customer base, IMO.

Time will tell though.

J

That is pure BS from them... they can order whatever they want and a manuacturer will be happy to have thee business, they just don't want to spend thee money.

Maybe they can't find a source but I bet if you look around you can find thee proper size O-ring yourself. Or you can come up with a way to fix it. I bet you could replace thee O-rings with teflon tape if you're in a pinch and do it carefully. There is ALWAYS a way to fix something mechanical, you just have to use your ingenuity.

Check with Mouser electronics supply, they have an online catalog and i'd wager that they have the proper size O-ring... check with scuba or motorboat people... anything that needs to be waterproof, pool stuff, plumbing supply.... you'll find it if you look. Spa people. Someone has what you want.

J