Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab Sounds

Charlives

Hello everyone,
I'm a T2 user with tens of thousands of hours of daily hunting. I really want to buy the new Equinox 800. I'd like to ask a question of you Minelab users (assuming the etrac and Equinox have the same sounds). The T2 has a great tone choice called 2+. It allows you to hear death, strength, whether iron or not etc BUT- it is always only one tone per pass over the target. The tone has an infinite amount of sounds, but it's always one tone. The Minelab, on the other hand, seems to produce multiple sounds going over a single target. Something like
blup BLUP BEEP BLUP blup :lol: Why do multiple sounds occur over one target? Do they help once you understand the language?? Thank you!

Multiple sounds as one swings the coil toward the target is a tell-tale sign that there are different targets with different levels of conductivity near that target.

If one is in ground void of all targets except a silver dime for instance, the Etrac will give one tone quality to that target based on its conductivity.
If there is a nickel in with that dime, you might get two different tone sounds. If there is an iron nail in with the nickel and dime, if you don't have iron disced out, you would probably get a low grunt on the iron, a mid tone on the nickel and high tone on the silver.

I was at an MMD meeting yesterday with a lot of detectorists. This guy with a T2 asked me to check a target. He couldn't tell what it was. I said it is either a wheatback penny or dime. It was a wheat.

Thanks Tony! Here is an example....at the 1:27 mark the coins passes a coin in a bench test...he sometimes gets one tone but mostly gets two quick ones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGVZ9qH79dU

Charlives said:
Thanks Tony! Here is an example....at the 1:27 mark the coins passes a coin in a bench test...he sometimes gets one tone but mostly gets two quick ones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGVZ9qH79dU

That is very normal the further the object is from the coil. But even in that scenario, the human brain can determine by the sounds of coins at the maximum depth of the Etrac whether the odds are great it is a good target.

I listen to the distant hits, then look at my depth meter. If it is around 10 inches and sounds good then I look at the FE/CO numbers but primarily the CO numbers.

On my Explorer XS I'd get no numbers and no discernible beep on an ultradeep coin. All I'd get is a slight wooshing sound and KNEW without a doubt it was a great diggable coin and was always right. The E-trac is a different animal than the Explorer.
It is much better at determining a good target at depth. The sounds will not be great like they are when the coin is within 8 inches of the coil. But they are discernable.

Disclaimer: I am pretty new to the E-trac and don't yet know all there is to know about it. But the more I use it the more I learn these nuances discussed above.